Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

V Due engine (full fat on carbs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev45 wrote:
Love what your doing different but cool

FRP do great stuff got some bits of him and will get some more in the future as I am building one more race bike

Cheers Trev

Only one more El Presidenti?
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the comments....it really does make a difference.

Just got some news that the JUNE 2020 Cagiva Elefant International treffen has been cancelled due to the virus thingy.

This means I can switch back to the VDUE Cagiva thingy as the twin steer sidecar elefant unit cannot be exhibited as per planned in the Swiss Alps.

So......after a slight lull, it is time to address the radiator outlets....just as WEED suggested

[img]IMAG0660 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The poor image shows outlets blanked off and repositioned to suit the VDue engine

[img]IMAG0661 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Here is a shot with the radiator in the frame and the proposed outlet route

[img]IMAG0662 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The alloy ears each side help the air flow but also give an area to bolt things to.

Here you can see a marked black circle indicationing where the water outlet from the radiator top outlet will pass through into the engine area

From here it will go to the top cylinder head water inlet, whilst a Y section will run down inside thwe ears to the bottom cylinder head inlet.

This should make for a tidier option over the standard VDUE water pipe route...by going down into that gap betwwen frame boss and engine.

[img]IMAG0669 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Whilst the ears on the other side has the coil pack and wiring from FRP and our man GUIDO

[img]IMAG0670 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The battery tray was rougly positioned annd spaced prior to welding.

[img]IMAG0666 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0664 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Then.....I had to ensure that the OEM seat and fairing tail unit all fitted without looking stupid.

[img]IMAG0663 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

With this done....it was bolted it up then alloy welded in place and sent off to the powder coaters.

Next ..............Foot pegs, gear lever, footcontrols and the chain to fit. Then run some brake and clutch lines prior to going to GUIDO for early APRIL.....only if Germany are accepting any guests....of course!

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some progress and the MAd Professor getting some joy time in with his toys.....Does guido supply all the lines for the snail cams from the power valve servo unit to the 2 cylinders?.....
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welll........got a bit of verbal abuse for visiting the workshop yesterday.

Not too happy and made my views clear...so much so that left her in tears and bawling.

Still I have another two grand children....so nothing lost there...and she will get over it.

The workshop is 24 miles away .....although all the metal suppliers are now shutting down as the UK enters isolation

The engine was supplied with all snails or cams fitted and all cable runs in place but no cables.

I need to secure a mount for the servo but things are cracking on and it would have made a nice piece at the Manchester show.

Ho hum......I am not too keen on body work or painting BUT it will either be metallic flake silver with blue mirror chrome vinyl sections or full blown C593 Cagiva GP Red with Yellow number boards....which looks great with white wheels

But none of this matters until Guido has prodded a German finger at it

Glad some one out there is reading......

Gavin

2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just whilst I remember....The Large threaded rod thats bonded into the underside of the seat unit...with a domed castle nut in it....pushes through the central hole of that cross frame rail that you are busily" blocking off" with a battery box.....it goes through the middle one of the front cross rail...If you didn't know that and I didn't mention it...it would be my fault....Flat battery....
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find theres a lot reading...frig all on the box...except doom and gloom...so I limit myself to once a day for viewing....So ...yeh...engines come with the snail cams...but its the "right length" of cable runners and cables with the correct nipples thats needed.....its Mick thats asking...hes maintaining the servo motor in its original mount....back of engine bracket that holds the servo and typical bimota stlye...doubles as an exhaust mount and damper for the front expansion chamber that comes through the swinging arm....Evidently as you dont know where youre putting your servo yet....you'll be going order to size and length presumably...but from where?....
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...he is in luck

With the zeeltronic kit from Guido...there is a diagram with lengths and images

The paperwork is at the workshop and as soon as I can I will send the images

He could just order the actual cables from Guido....if he sells them...otherwise it is a cable kit and burnt nipples.

Enjoy.......bet the roads are empty over the Peak District

Gavin

Weed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:

But none of this matters until Guido has prodded a German finger at itGP Red with Yellow numbe

Glad some one out there is reading......

Gavin

I think there are plenty out here reading Gav. While it is Germany get Guido to put a pair of his skull cap heads on it.
Cheers
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I think you'll find theres a lot reading...frig all on the box...except doom and gloom...so I limit myself to once a day for viewing....So ...yeh...engines come with the snail cams...but its the "right length" of cable runners and cables with the correct nipples thats needed.....its Mick thats asking...hes maintaining the servo motor in its original mount....back of engine bracket that holds the servo and typical bimota stlye...doubles as an exhaust mount and damper for the front expansion chamber that comes through the swinging arm....Evidently as you dont know where youre putting your servo yet....you'll be going order to size and length presumably...but from where?....

"Strike out" the fixing hole comment....I can now see it on your new cross brace on your new frame...silly me
gufi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Gavin, (and of course all the other Vdue fans)
I'm looking forward to your special bimota. From time to time I would like to post some photos, for example I have just finished some cylinder heads with exchangeable inserts for a customer in France. But the thing with the photos seems to be too complicated for me... If you want to see how it looks like you can send me an e-mail.
info@motorrad-fiedler.de

Greeting Guido
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido.............if you need any images or projects shown...email me the images and I will post on your behalf.

So.....we are in semi lock down....as is my suspension contact

The Suspension guy Bart from Belgie (he used to be with the purple spring company, before setting up BM Suspension many years ago)

He wants/needs work and has agreed to build a custom unit better than Ohlins (his words) and to my price.

But we are about 3 weeks away......so what can be done....I cannot visit the workshop just yet.

Thankfully my obsessive planning A to G had me searching for a suitable dash assembly....something suitable.

Not wanting to copy the 916 or the 999 or even the Raptor dash .......all of which I like.

I went 'outside the box'.................the delivery box.

I looked at the pizza delivery mopeds... I went to the Railway car park and looked at every commuter bike

before I settled on a YAMAHA Dyno Jet F1 something (complete with moulded handlebar fairing)......and shopping basket.

I have not gone mad....the Paris Dakar bikes had all their info via digital read outs ...lots of them...stacked on top of each other...I like that

These I wanted.....but I needed a focal point ....so the digital read outs will be behind a panel

The Tacho will be at eye level but the focal point will be this

DASH unit (complete with handlebar mouldings and switches) but I am only using the DASH

[img]IMAG0688 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0689 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I get my old watchmakers screwdriver kit out and start playing.

[img]IMAG0693 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Seeing how it works and what I want on the Dash itself....no idiot lights..please

[img]IMAG0691 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This is where my skill set kind of stops.....I can dismantle, I can re-engineer but I am no artist or graphic designer.

But I have details of a guy who is....I call him and explain my idea and how I want to get the thing to look.

I tell him what to include and what idiot lights and holes to lose.

I also give him a font style and name to be displayed on the OEM units I sent him with zero miles on.

I bought 2 sets of these, clocks, OEM NOStock and a secondhand set..total cost under 50 of your english pounds.

[img]IMAG0672 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

He removes the front facia changes the colour face to match the colour of my tacho face and prints and fits...oh...and adds the name.

[img]IMAG0673 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Then re assembles ...weather proofs and adds a warrenty and ships back to be assembled in its large figure 8 facia trim.

[/img]IMAG0675 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[img]

I went for Less is More on this design....something subtle....the digital read outs (temp, volts, GPS KOSO unit with its 4 lines of digital text) will be hidden and the main eye contact will be this nicely designed clock unit.

[/img]IMAG0675 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I switched the Fuel gauge for a 2 stroke oil gauge....it will run PreMix but there will be a Oil Tank onboard........with the best Silkolene.

That is about it until I get to the workshop ....but it is something ..during these quiet times

Thanks

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.....But wheres the wicker basket?

Does it bother you...even if...just a little niggle....?,,,,that the engine size is 499cc and not 500...The Bimota Vdue 500 on the seat unit was because they were going to make 500 of them...not that it was 500cc...Not a lot of people know that.... Wink

Strada Squale......"Street Shark".....Like that...."Dont go in the water.....And not just because "thumbs up Len Fairclough" is in there already.....

(I still feel bad about me and me mates from Sixth Form college seeing him walking down pedestrianised Stamford New Road one day.....after the newspaper headlines.....We all ran after him shouting "THumbs up for Len"....and signalling with the thumbs up on one hand...and jestering with the other what he doing with his other hand in his speedos....".....Oh me...Bad Karma....methinks he moved overseas next door to Gary Glitter after that encounter...and thats what I feel bad about.....moving on...nothing more to say or see here....

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims.....you know that I nearly put 499 but thought better of it.

The 500 bit I did not know and it matters not a jot ......the dash is printed now...thank you for the consideration, though.

I am hoping the translation is Street Shark and not Street Shawk as you say.

But then again, you call the Supercharger a Superchugger....I should know better...you are from Manchester.

Still.........on a boring day it gives us all something to do.

I am now stopped....no more to be done until the next workshop visit.

Thankyou

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...still in lock down and very limited to work being carried out.

I thought I would work on the fairing and screen as these were not at the workshop.

The orinonal Super city screen was used as a template and made larger in every dimension

This was done on a English Wheel and carried out by the same fabricator who made the tank.

I was unsure of sizes so I just went BIG....I could always reduce the screen size but add after the event.

[img]IMAG0703 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The green tape shows the actual size I choose and the Laminator wants to use the alloy screed as a mould for Carbon fibre.

Using the alloy as a mould will allow a more profiled swooopy screen with the botton section just covering the headlilight tops....like eyebrows

Ohhh...Lordy..I am going all arty....eyebrows and stuff

[img]IMAG0702 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

After the Screen came another section, self made this time...the fairing bridge...under the headlights.

The standard Cagiva section is the RED one and the Alloy is the same profile just made wider to suit.

The nut clips will be transferred and utilsed ....this joins both sides of the fairing.

[img]IMAG0701 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0700 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

That finishes off all I can do from home

Now its off to the workshop to collect some farm shop produce for the old folk in the street and grab a couple of hours in the workshop.

Every action also has an equal and opposite re action!

[img]IMAG0704 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The front fairing brackets are back from the powder coaters and get the ignition swich and keys stuck in for wish-full thinking.

The rear section was also fitted and the alloy plates and rods welded up for the battery positioning.

Holding the battery in place....I seen some alloy tube large diameter laying about and cut off a 20mm section....then cut it in half.

These half moons 20mm wide were placed about the battery and marked before being welded up.

[img]IMAG0706 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This allowed the battery and mudguard section to be assembled.

3 bosses were welded onto the underside of the battery plate to bolt the KeyWay 125 rear light and mudguard assembly to.

Counter sunk bolts passed from the plate under the battery through the welded bosses and into the ABS rear mudguard.

[img]IMAG0709 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

It makes quite an nice fitment and there will be an addition LED fog light added to cover any gaps.

[img]IMAG0710 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Next up.... the rear OEM Bimota V Due carbonfibre hugger....fits lovely and the new 520 chain....all lined up.

[img]IMAG0713 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The fairing was placed roughly in position to gauge lines etc.....it all looks good.

Also I hade to measure the space for the dash plate tha I have to fabricate.

[img]IMAG0714 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

More to follow and I think I might have found a solution to my wiring woes....

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looking grand there gav…...strange choice on rear light unit.....thought you were going to keep the Cagiva SuperCity unit...which by the way...is the exact rear light unit used on a 1999 Yamaha DT125R......Battery on its side...very typical bimota...rare to find them upright and not at a jaunty angle..And I like the Semi-circular "book ends" holding it in place.....maybe not visible when the bodyworks all on...but you;;ll know theyre there...and thats what counts

What bolts you got bolding on the rear mudguard/hugger? I have some genuine Bimota 4mm mushroom headed down headed allen bolts...complete with that Gold annealed anodised rust protectant finish.....which would look great....3 no needed...I have 3...Looks so much better than those "bulky" button head allen bolts that I think you have fitted....Bimota used the 4mm same also to hols the screens in place on their earlier bimotas.....so so tiny...yet holding "nothing"...just carbon fibre this and that...or a Perspex screen....and as such....tiny bolts as structural strength wasn't required....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: