Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New toys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gammaboy wrote:
djk wrote:
A thin piece of wood under the front tyre, i'll have to remember that next time i am trying to get the fairing of the SB7. Can't use a stand and i have no rafters to suspend the bike from. I did try a ladder once and suspended the bike in between but it didn't leave me much room to do anything. Every time i pull that fairing apart i dread doing it.

I've welded an old front axle to a car stand so I can lift the front of my SB6 on the headstock lifter, drop the wheel out, fit stand, remove head lifter, remove/fit fairing...

I need a picture of that....how do you get the fairing past the Front axle from a car???????????....WOrds aren't sufficient here....its pictures we need....always looking to reinvent the wheel as regards Bimota clamshell one piece fairing removals.....
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gammaboy wrote:
djk wrote:
A thin piece of wood under the front tyre, i'll have to remember that next time i am trying to get the fairing of the SB7. Can't use a stand and i have no rafters to suspend the bike from. I did try a ladder once and suspended the bike in between but it didn't leave me much room to do anything. Every time i pull that fairing apart i dread doing it.

I've welded an old front axle to a car stand so I can lift the front of my SB6 on the headstock lifter, drop the wheel out, fit stand, remove head lifter, remove/fit fairing...

Now that is an ingenious idea Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gammaboy wrote:
djk wrote:

Now that is an ingenious idea Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So another sunny day in Blighty and a few hours to spare.

YB got a quick check over, oil and filter actually look reasonably new, well filter a few years old by the looks of it and oil still slightly translucent not black. Air filter clean and not falling apart Very Happy Things are looking up !!

Battery attached and fuel added .

Ignition on and dash lights up !! Could be onto a winner here !!

Hmmm , whats that smell ?? Ah leaking fuel out of the reserve solenoid , Hmmm , only a slight weep , lets continue .

Starter pressed and engine starts to whirl , and whirl , and still whirlling !!! . Drop of fuel in the bell mouths and engine sputters !!

OK , fuel issue it is . 10 minutes later has the tank off, fuel relay activating , but pump not pumping Crying or Very sad
Current to pump checked , OK , pump wired directly to 12v , still nothing . Another 10 minutes has the pump off and Ah !!! Think this might be the problem !!

Quick clean up of the contacts , 12v connected and there she blows !!

Pump reinstalled , slave fuel tank connected and SHE LIVES !!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bit rough at first but after a few minutes is ticking over nicely !!! Think a good service and a carb clean/balance will have it singing again !!

Time for a deep clean and sorting that leaking tank !! Laughing Laughing Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the "reserve solenoid"?....has it got one of those bimota curiosities whereby when it hits "reserve" a light comes on and you have to press a switch to activate it and then it accesses the reserve element in the tank?....When I was working on Pauls YB9SR.....it had a grey flick switch down low RHS behind tank....but no indication what was "on" or "off".....

Pump on his worked for a while....after bike had been dry stored for a while.....then it stopped clicking....would still run with it disconnected and fuel bi-passed so just on gravity....but wouldn't rev out at higher revs......insufficient flow at top end....and that was when just stood still...I'd imagine it would be worse if ridden and under load.....Seals had gone on the pump and it was a "sealed" unit....refused to tick after a while to build pressure and flow....so new one was acquired and fitted....all good after that....Those contacts and gunk inside the cap.....yuk.....heres hoping the rest of the electrics weren't similarly tied to the titanics anchor when she went down....Running though and idling....thats good.....all other electrics fine?

The YB9 also had nice clean and clear engine oil and brake fluids and fresh looking filter so they were left alone.....I did drain off the coolant and flush through though....water pump and impeller etc were a bit blocked......and bleed holes and bolts in cylinder casings needed a few runs through with a hose to get them to run clear......A few tiny bolts on the casings to pull and bleed off.....sort of the same as on the YB11 ….so look at the Workshop manual and that helps you source the couple of bolts to pull to drain the cylinders...worth pulling the water pump casing also to clean out the casing and check impeller and thermostat in there....but I guess you'll be doing that also....Horn Honking....indicators winking etc?

KDX MOT today...or rather in 3 hrs time.....He finally escaped from a V long holiday in Tenerife......poor beggar had to pay for 4 flights home before the last flight WASNT cancelled by the airline....and the swines of the first 3 flights wouldn't take a credit card payment....cash or direct debit card only....and yes...he's still waiting for a refund....and cant charge back as they wouldn't take a credit card.....all that and they flew him to Gatwick from where he had to hire a car one way to get back to Madchester....He's operating on a 8.30 to 2pm 5 day week....but business picking up as Main dealers are all shut so people are shopping locally to get their cars serviced and MOT'd......How about your MOT man?
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Whats the "reserve solenoid"?....has it got one of those bimota curiosities whereby when it hits "reserve" a light comes on and you have to press a switch to activate it and then it accesses the reserve element in the tank?....

The single red light on the clock binnacle is actually a button/light. Tank has 2 fuel taps on it, a manual on that is on or off , always set to on, and an electrical one that is the reserve and actuated by the switch/light.

Last edited by vort28 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: 8e Reply with quote

Quite right Vort. That switch on the dash is fragile (best covered when washing) & now unobtainium.
brian

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moisture certainly is like cancer to electrical connections and components. Hopefully the fuel pump holds up. The fuel reserve setup seems over complicated for what it does Shocked
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
nichosk

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case.....the Fuel pump on my YB8 failed recently but was bought back to life with a repair kit, about 15 quid I think 👍
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha fuel repair kit from Fowlers?i wasn't sure if it was a serviceable item? I presume it was the rubber seals in the pump that were knackered?
Bud977

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contacts in the fuel pump stick sometimes, and the pump stops working. Usually a whack with a hammer fixes it.
nichosk

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the 'Drop Test' didn't fix it so it was a points repair kit that did the job
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: