Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Hello, My name is fred and I think i have an addiction…

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruffef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Hello, My name is fred and I think i have an addiction… Reply with quote

Been meaning to post this for a while, but not got round to it due to work, garage rebuild, kids, life. Some recent interactions with 2bims regarding a cover for my 8, encouraged me to post ….

So it was for sale, it was nearby, it wanted rescuing, it needed a clean, a polish, some love and a fair amount of TLM (tender loving money)!
I thought I’d go and have a look, idle curiosity really, I wasn’t really in the market for a new bike.
You all know what happened next…

So, now i’ve only gone and done it! what is it? An import YB6 non exup model. I think it’s an ’89. Frame number is in the 27x region. It’s a round headlight, round taillight model
So according to the register here http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_yb_en.html, there’s cross over between the frame numbers for exup and non-exup models (see #125, it exists in both lists). Anyone else who has a frame number near that able to shed any light on which year theirs is, so I can date mine?

Now, as I’ve it needs some rebuilding. It does run roughly from a remote fuel tank. Things I need to have or know….
Manual and/or parts list
A headlight(s) – are these unique bimota parts or another manufacturer?
A headlight/fairing bracket – to attach said headlight(s)
Mirrors – to attach to the above fairing bracket
Rear indicators – currently has a pair of nasty aftermarkets
Fairing mounts – rear (large ally bolts essentially), front tank mounts left/right, top fairing mount by headstock left/right
Side Fairings LHS/RHS – it has them but they are rough, extra cut-outs have been made at the front bottom (by exhaust – for cooling?), and the slots by the brake/gear lever enlarged, and a hole by the left frame beam. They are no longer one piece – there is a good 6” gap between the bottom of the panels – looks like someone’s hacked them apart. I’m assuming that there’s no way I’ll get an original?, so i’m going to have to repair what I have.
Rear hugger / mudguard / chainguard – don’t think I’ll get through an MOT without one of these?
The rear disc is cracked
Source for these parts or advise on which bikes they were originally sourced from will be gratefully received.

The following are the items which are looking suspect, like the previous owner has been “improving” it, and therefore I’ll need to decide if it’s original or otherwise and return it to standard, or bits I need to attend to for it to return to its former glory.
There is a mass of stuff under the fank (fake tank), some of which is required I imagine, not all of which is original (hence requirement for manual / parts fiche). It encompasses a fuel pump, filter, fuel in and return pipes, a fan switch, fuel pump switch and a mass of wires direct to the battery to run these
The front part of the airbox has been gone at with a hacksaw, actually so has the rear part.
The fuel pump is bodged into the headstock with a mass of self-tapping screws into various bits
There is an extra petcock on an ally bracket hanging out to the RHS of the headstock
There is some shite attached to an ally bracket hanging out to the LHS of the headstock
The choke is bodged to the rear of the LHS frame.
The clocks are smashed at the rear. The plastic cover is half hanging off. They’re in kph, ideally I’d like to change them to mph whilst fixing that.
The side stand is held on by a couple of jubilee clips
It has an oil cooler – under the rad – this looks factory, but not totally sure. The rad looks large, but fits well enough to look correct.
Front mudguard is very short at the back, with a bit of nasty sheet ally bolted on with meccano.
Some bubbling on the paint on the tank/seat unit

Dating experts – to whom do I apply for a dating certificate, such that I can register this with the DVLA.

I would upload some photos, but I refuse to deal with any photo hosting shite like flickr or the other one that died. So therefore you just get the one

I hope you like. I also hope you can help me bring her back to life. It’s too late to warn me off it, or that it will be a money pit. I couldn’t let it be broken for parts, it’s here now, and it will live again.

fred
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hello Fred......I think you do some injustice to your YB6...it looks lovely....Believe me...I've seen far worse

I think we need a phone call to save my fingers tapping for hrs.....and I can help you get it registered

Parts?....this lovely man in GErmany is called Rudolf.....he speako no inglis…..and ameo...no germane......but if you email him in perfect English...simple...and run it through Google translate into german...he will get back to you...he has 2 types of new rear discs....drilled or non drilled...new front discs.......new front and rear calipers....new headlights and new screen for the headlights...etc etc...He only takes bank transfer but I've dealt with him before and he is very professional

https://www.bimota-parts.de/en/component/virtuemart/yb6/results,1-10.html?Itemid=470

Spare PArts manuals....unfortunately I dont have for this bike but may know a source I'll tap for you for an electronic version...I do have sspare parts manuals on pdf for YB4, YB5, YB7, 8 and 9 and 10 and 11 and Workshop manual for YB8 also which is essentially the same bike.....

But...if you go to the bottom of this page and click on the RED Box for spare parts manuals....it will open up and show you page by page the Exploded Spare parts manual for your bike....its a bit clunky....and pop-ups of adverts...and you cant download it...tch….but if you had "Snipping Tool" you could cut copy and paste and save which ever pages you may need

I'll send you via "pm" my mobile number.....always happy to talk

Oh....and welcome to the club
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred.

This is the perfect place for those with addictions !!!! Will ALL have issue's here Shocked

Sounds like you jumped in with both feet and the kitchen sink to Bimota ownership !!
I recently got a YB8 from Japan with is currently in bits.Now I know they say the YB4/6/8 are all very similar , how similar I do not know but I am happy to take pictures etc if it helps.

On the parts front , you might find BCP has a fairing otherwise I think there are places that make YB4 aftermarket stuff.

PM me if you need pictures.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: YB6 Reply with quote

Hello Fred

You've clearly already appreciated that the world of Bimota is broadly one of "abandon hope all ye who enter here". Having said that, nothing is beyond human ingenuity.

My first Bimota was also a YB, albeit an 8, rather than a 6. That was 30 years ago and I've only recently got the thing running as well as it can - so I hope you're in for the long haul!

The first thing to understand with the YB6 is that it was the result of one of a number of stages in the development of the underlying motor by Mr Yamaha and the YB series by Bimota. This may go some way to explaining the appalling butchery your bike seems to have suffered under previous ownership. What I mean is that Yamaha struggled to get the Genesis motor to fuel properly low down - that's why they developed the Exup valve.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: YB6 Reply with quote

Bimota, arguably added to the problem by putting the fuel tank behind the airbox. Yamaha had the tank on top of the air box, allowing a much straighter run for air through the holes on the frame rails to the filter. Bimota's tandem arrangement does not flow air so well low down and therefore the carbs have to be jetted and needled more leanly than the Yamaha. This is a better route to ending up with a working compromise, than hacking chunks out of the airbox!

Accordingly, I would ignore the cosmetics until you've got the thing running tolerably. To achieve this, you need to close up the airbox and put a new air filter in. Then fetch the carbs off and rebuild with new seals. Compare needles and main jets with stock Yamaha settings. The Bimota will need marginally smaller mains and leaner needles. If it's got non-Mikuni needles and mains - Dynojet or the like, they need to go in the bin, because you won't know what you're working with, compared to stock Yamaha.

Whilst Yamaha adopted the Exup valve to cure the Genesis motor's problems, Bimota first tried to cure the problems with fuel injection with the Tuatara and the YB6 e.i.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: YB6 Reply with quote

Mr Graf can supply Bimota-specific stuff, which you won't get elsewhere, such as headlight bracket and seat unit bolts, but his prices reflect that. Accordingly, you want to source Yamaha stuff elsewhere and that would include the headlight, which is Yamaha Genesis.

The YB6 is a pretty bike and it's tempting to think that the cosmetics are the most important bit. But, unless you're content to just look at it, the order of priority should definitely be to get it running properly and that will require some dyno time.

Good luck and lot's of folk on this forum happy to help and routing for you to get another of these beauties gracing our highways.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: YB6 Reply with quote

The main thing I notice from your picture is that the frame-stay is mounted to the top yoke, where the choke knob should be. Presumably, the headlight bracket, which has an integrated frame stay, was bent beyond continued use in a previous get-off.

The oil cooler below the rad was used by the Genesis motor and the early exup motors.

You don't say how many miles it has purportedly done, but I would be starting with a valve clearance check and new plugs - I hope you've got surgeon's fingers! Note that, whilst the rad is Genesis, the plumbing is Bimota. Take care removing the ally pipes going into the head at the back of the motor - they're fragile and Bimota - specific, as Bimota had to re-locate the thermostat to get all of that 2lbs of crap into their 1lb bag!
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: YB6 Reply with quote

Maxton can do great things with your Marzocchi M1Rs and build you a bespoke rear shock, to replace the stock Marzocchi.

That should keep you busy till lunchtime!
brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking YB6 Fred!

It’s starts with...... my name is Fred and I’m an addict. Nek minit..... there’s 3 or 4 or 15 in the shed Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...I understand it now....Nek minit….means Next minute......yes...Bimotas do seem to multiply
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: