Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 Rear Sprocket Alternative Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: DB6 Rear Sprocket Alternative Needed Reply with quote

Hi all! Sorry I have been away for a while but work, two in college, more work, flooring remodel at home, etc. just seem to get in the way of e-browsing and forum participation.

Hell I am only awake now at 10:01 PST as I had too much coffee late today.

Back to my conundrum. I just replaced my tires with Michelin Road 5's for a pretty penny and during disassembly, I noticed that the staked master link on my chain was missing the 4 o-rings and was wobbly. When I pulled the rear sprocket, the interior face was worn to half its original thickness and the teeth were starting to "pull" forward. The aluminum appears very soft and while the chain is in excellent condition as is the countershaft sprocket, I can't say the same for the rear or master link.

I was looking at BellissiMoto but nowhere do they give detailed specs. Mine are as follows:

- 100mm on center between mounting nuts (x6)
- 80mm diameter open hole for carrier pass through
- 520 pitch
- 40 tooth (I might go to a 41)

Does anyone know if there is a comparable Ducati model that this sprocket fits so I can order a replacement? I have purchased a replacement staked master link as well as the breaker/staker tools but just need a better rear sprocket.

All help is appreciated.
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one? Looks like it would fit.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/JT-Rear-Sprocket-41T-520P-JTR819-2-41-Steel-Suzuki-TU-250-X-Volty-1997-/332770760278
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977,

Thanks for that link. I had called every company I knew of as well as contacted JT but no one called/emailed back. This was before this current pandemic had really gotten off the ground so there should have been no reason for the lack of responses.

Not one to give up, I finally contacted Vortex sprockets and told them what I needed. Their response was legendary.

"Sure no problem, that is a part #825A-40 and we'll have it cut and shipped tomorrow morning. It should take about 3 minutes to cut out of the blank." It cost about $62 USD so very reasonable for a 6061 billet aluminum sprocket IMHO.

WTH??? Awesome. They will be my go-to now. They can make anything you want. Give them the specs and it ships the next weekday.

I got it and it looks amazing. I already got everything mounted including the new Michelin Road 5's and 90 degree billet valve stems and just the other day cleaned and reinstalled the chain with the new staked master link. This link might be a little tight but time will tell if it is OK or if I have to replace the chain. If so, then I might have Vortex make me a lightened steel rear depending on the wear.
Bud977

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted. Vortex sounds like the go for sprockets.
glened

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone through several sprockets starting with original steel sprocket then I tried an aluminium replacement which very quickly wore out. Changed the wheels to BST and they supplied "Talon" I have used three of those, and they all wore the same way with hooked teeth and the pitch of the teeth being stretched. The bike has now covered about 23,000 miles, I have now gat supersprox aluminium sprocket with a steel outer edge, not done any miles since getting knocked of last year. It has covered about 1000 miles and still looks ok.
brian

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glened wrote:
I have gone through several sprockets starting with original steel sprocket then I tried an aluminium replacement which very quickly wore out. Changed the wheels to BST and they supplied "Talon" I have used three of those, and they all wore the same way with hooked teeth and the pitch of the teeth being stretched. The bike has now covered about 23,000 miles, I have now gat supersprox aluminium sprocket with a steel outer edge, not done any miles since getting knocked of last year. It has covered about 1000 miles and still looks ok.

I haven’t tried the supersprox sprockets yet but I like the look of them. The lightness of the aluminium carrier and long wearing steel teeth. Interested to see how it goes for you
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

I haven’t tried the supersprox sprockets yet but I like the look of them. The lightness of the aluminium carrier and long wearing steel teeth. Interested to see how it goes for you

It'll go like all his other sprockets….hammered to hell and back in a handcart.....Rears can only last so long when the bike spends most of its life just on the back wheel.....but...to be fair....he can ride and he does like to ride....so its just routine maintenance for what are mere "toys" when it comes down to it....and we all lavish attention on such toys....
brian

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
brian wrote:

It'll go like all his other sprockets….hammered to hell and back in a handcart.....Rears can only last so long when the bike spends most of its life just on the back wheel...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a supersprox on the Tesi 3DN, I'll check out the dimensions for you as got OZ wheels on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: