Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2SR - winter project turns into lockdown project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hindsight

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glen -

The lambda (actually, it's a wideband O2 sensor, but most folks know the phrase "lambda") is fitted to the horiz downpipe, and I'm not planning on fitting one to the vertical. I'm currently planning on using it for tuning the ST2 fuel map, but I've recently been doing some more research, and I've found that the ECU software can run in closed-loop mode, which would mean that the sensor would need to be a permanent fixture. Haven't made up my mind on that yet, we'll see how we progress.

It's only fitted to the one cylinder, on the assumption that both are pretty much equal.. as you'll know, more modern machines have sensors fitted to both, and that'll pick up things like variances on combustion and injection, and compensate for each cylinder - that's not currently on my agenda for the DB2 though.

Quote:
Could you alter the pump pressure?

Absolutely - raising the fuel pressure is another way of increasing the flow. I believe that some fuel pressure regulators are adjustable. In this case, I wanted to have the fuel flow similar to the 944cc/ST2, because that's what the fuel map that I'm starting with, and changing only a single thing at a time makes sense to me as the best way forward at the moment.

Quote:
and how many variants of injectors do they use

IAW-042 and IAW-031 were the marelli recommended in the early 1990's (also used in Lambos and Fiats), but since then there has been many other form factors (the 916 runs something similar to the IAW-031, but has the fuel flow from the side, rather than from the top of the injector), and of course other EFI vendors use other injectors.. for a feel for how many different types there might be - take a look at this big old list (which I used as reference for the flow rates):

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm
Particularly see the "Weber/Marelli" section down towards the bottom of the page, and note the different form factors (only the 031 and 042 are listed as "Top" feed) and electrical characteristics (high or low impedance), as well as the flow rates.

Separately, over the last couple of weeks I've been discussing this little project with a friend, who offered to 3D-print an enclosure for the PCB at just the right size to sit snugly within the housing on the bike like the original. There has been a lot of measuring, drawing and discussion to ensure that we can get it right, without him actually seeing the bike, or the ECU in person - he posted the result to me this week.

I've been so impressed with the result that I've gone and bought a 3D printer myself.. not entirely sure what I'll be using it for, but I think it's one of those things that once you have the capability, then ideas will present itself.

Mike
welshlamb

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far I have to say your capabilities and ideas generation leave me gobsmacked. I'm afraid Im another dinasour that likes to see things to understand them so electrics, electronics and software test my patience to breaking point. Fascinated by this all the same so watching the threrad closely!!
hindsight

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind feedback guys, really appreciate it. I'm thoroughly enjoying this journey too Very Happy

And truth told, a year ago I probably wouldn't have done much of this, mainly due to lack of time. There's definitely something to be said for a slower pace of life.

Hoping to spend some time in the workshop over the next few days, and to confirm the O2 sensor to be operative and start the bike on the ST2 fuel map for the first time.

M.
glened

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply with regards to the O2 sensor, I quite like the idea of making it simple with the use of one sensor.. Your mantra on changing just one item at time is spot on, just in case you have to re trace your steps. The ECU case looks very impressive, could you use it directly from being printed? is the enclosure strong enough or do you use it as a prototype to get one injection mounded. Enjoying the thread whatever the outcome.

Regards Glen
hindsight

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the case is definitely strong enough to be used directly as-is from the 3d-printer, so no worries there.

I had the bike running on the new injectors yesterday afternoon, though I was curiously getting a lot of backfire on the horizontal (in the exhaust and throttle body), so I'll have a bit of troubleshooting to do there. I wonder if one of the new injectors is playing up?

I'm going to first try adjusting the timing of the injectors, then perhaps swap the injectors around to see if the issue follows the H injector. I could potentially pull injectors from my 888 to for testing also.

Interestingly I think the new injectors has also solved another mystery that I was aware of: when I swapped the original exhaust for the carbon one, I noted that the temperature of the exhaust gasses were significantly different between the cylinders, with the horizontal being far cooler than the vertical. This wasn't measurable with the original exhaust, as it had the 2-into-1-into-2 collector that mixed the gasses on the way out.

With the new injectors, the gas temperature now feels more or less equal.. so I'm thinking that one of the old injectors may have been constraining flow, leading to a reduced combustion..
barnmankit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, I hope you don't mind me chipping in with some thoughts on fuel injection and the associated electronics and good old fashioned carburettors. This is an interesting subject because carburettors had reached a very high level of refinement and functioned very well with minimum maintenance, and moreover the carburettor is an autonomous self-adjusting device with no need for external sensors or complicated computer programs. The Keihin FCR41s on my DB2 are brilliant performance carburettors (although they sacrifice some ease of use for street riding). Fuel injection, although potentially offering finer control, depends on many external sensors (some electro-mechanical, all working perfectly), an electro-mechanical injector constructed to very fine tolerances (or not), a fuel pump subject to wear and breakdowns, impeccably designed computer programs, etc, etc. Is the massively increased complication worth it for the small benefits in terms of control (excluding emissions regulations - the original impetus for the introduction of fuel injection)? We shouldn't forget that the carburettor is a brilliant concept which reached a very high state of development. I should add that my opinion is coloured by problems I suffered with a Mitsubishi direct injection petrol engine which were beyond the diagnostic powers of Mitsubishi official workshops.
In admiration of your project and wishing you success!
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's absolutely a fair point and it would be a mistake to not recognise the elegant simplicity of the carburettor.

As the number of "critical" components required to make a motor run increases, so does the likelihood of a failure causing an interruption. All we can do (and hope that the manufacturers also do) is to build with paranoia to increase the mean time between failure on all components, along with sufficient proving.
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnmankit has your FE had the FCR41 carbs on from new. My FE has them on too, in the for sale bumf for my bike it stated they were "factory " fitted and i have always wondered if this was correct. It would be interesting tosee if many more DB2 FE's on here had them on and if it was from new
barnmankit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retrofitted the FCRs after buying them from Allen's Performance Products pre-jetted for Ducati 900 motor. Previously the bike (no. 064) had the standard Mikuni fitment. I can easily achieve 60mpg during fast riding on mountain roads with these carbs. Safe riding to all of you.
A shed full of bicycles

"We're each given one small grain of madness - if we lose it, we're nothing." Robin Williams
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVRRich….BarManKit et al......My DB2 has Allens PErformance Keihin FCR41 Flatslides also fitted....albeit retro fitted to the bike in 1996 when a 944CC big bore kit was added to it....V2 HiComp billet pistons...stage 2 cams.....etc etc....20-25mpg is my limit on that....30 if totalling along....although the bike is happy to do that....the rider isn't.....K&N's...flatslides and Moto Corse end cans says she sounds and runs better at full chat...

TVRRich….isn't yours kitted with FCR39's? from recollection of the advert at NLM?.....it is stamped on the left side body of the carbs on the LHS showing through the fairing....

I understand why folk put FCR41's in....as theres not much price difference between the 39's and 41#s...so...folk go bigger coz bigger is best right?...All the mods and reports I've ever read though say its not worth going for the 41's UNLESS you go the whole route with the big bore kit also.....so I imagine if FCR41's are fitted to a standard motor...then maybe they are jetted down to suit....

Factory standard or after?...Anyones guess that....I've never seen a "Sales Brochure" for the DB2FE.....and they made what?? 50?.....Bimota were famed for speccing a bike how you wanted it if ordering direct...and also for throwing on whatever parts they had available to finish a bike off....What colour are the engine casings in the FE?.....If silver greyish it would indicate the engine out of the DUcati Monster 900 from around 98/99.....as used in the DB4......as Bimota wanted the DB4 to be carbed…..and Ducatis "similar" offering of the 900SS had gone fuel injected in 98/99.....whereas the Monster was still carbed...If crankcase covers are Black.....then its the 900ss Engine from up to 1998...which remained carbed up until that period....and they evidently had Mikuni 38's on them...DB4 was offered with the "corse kit" which included FCR39's and a MotoCorse end can....no reason why they couldn't offer FCR's on the DB2FE....

Other than starting from cold.....which takes time due to no choke.....mine have needed no work from the 10 years of my ownership....and they were fitted to the bike in 1995......and just needed a clean after I bought the bike...Best mod that can be made to any Ducati engine of that era...Keihin Flatslides....
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are mine.[img][/img]
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.....FCR41's....."Motorcycle Race Use Only".....I kept the sticker on mine also.....Interesting Push/pull twin cable routing you've got there....feeding from the throttle assembly to the Right of the carbs and across...….Mine I fed across the front headstock, through a triangular hole in the frame and down to the pulley assemblies on the Keihin Carbs which are on the Left hand side of the carbs
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...Do you want to sell your Fuse box cover?...Mine fell off a while back...and when I retraced my route I found it....crushed by car wheels many times over....I've "sort of" fixed it...but its very worse for wear...I havent found a replacement yet for it...as its not the ruddy same as the Ducatis of the era...grghhhhhhhh
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 2 Bims, not for sale. Mind you when i had my Battery escapade recently and had to remove the fuse cover it didnt feel exactly very secure so it must be a fault with them. Do i take it you have no idea what its off ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: