Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Diagnoses help required. Electrical issues.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
niels550

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Diagnoses help required. Electrical issues. Reply with quote

Hello All.

I'm back home again after 6 months away at work.

Bike, a 3 year old Tesi 3D Naked is always plugged into a battery trickle charger.

So, I decide to go for a ride last week, pull it out of the garage get dressed and press the starter... nothing but the sound of the starter relay clicking.

The battery is at least 3 years old, I'm thinking maybe a cell is buggered. So I go buy a new one and charge it fully and then install it.

Exact same result with the starter rely clicking every time I press the start button. I always have the clutch pulled in when I start.

Other symptoms are:

1) When the key is turned on, all the warning lights come on and go off normally as the system boots up and I presume does it's self check.

2) Neutral light stays out even when I can ascertain the bike is positively in neutral. (Rear wheel spins easily).

3) Indicators don't work.

4) Horn and lights work ok.

The bike was just fine when I put it to bed 6 months ago and it is very low mileage - at 1600 kms.

Any clues where I should be looking next?
niels550

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Fixed !! Bad ground connections. Reply with quote

OK.. Finally in disgust, I decided to attack it.

Too many elements had failed at the same time (neutral, indicators and starter) to blame any single element - it had to be the only thing they had in common. The electrical power supply.

Armed with a multimeter it became obvious that there was only about 9 volts in the system and then I went down chasing high resistances.

Long and short of it was that I cleaned up most of the terminals along the byzantine circuit path which Bimota laughingly refers to as their ground/negative line.

Turned the key and everything was back to normal. Neutral light was back, indicators worked and bike started.

Total time? About 30 minutes.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted. Electrics can do your head in, especially on these new bikes with computers etc. They seem to be very sensitive to having GOOD ground. Might be a good time to remove and clean all of the ground connections and apply some dielectric grease
Current motorcycles - '99 Bimota DB4 #104, '96 Bimota SB6 #1165, ‘94 Bimota DB2 J #652, '99 Bimota DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, ‘94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, ‘61 BSA A10 650
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed !! Bad ground connections. Reply with quote

niels550 wrote:

Too many elements had failed at the same time (neutral, indicators and starter) to blame any single element - it had to be the only thing they had in common. The electrical power supply.

Armed with a multimeter it became obvious that there was only about 9 volts in the system and then I went down chasing high resistances.

Long and short of it was that I cleaned up most of the terminals along the byzantine circuit path which Bimota laughingly refers to as their ground/negative line.

Turned the key and everything was back to normal. Neutral light was back, indicators worked and bike started.

Apologies Neil....for not having tried to assist....I presume you found the "Stainless steel" earth bolt going into the Rear vertical cylinder on the LHS of the bike? Carrying around 8 or so earths tagged onto it?...THese are none to fur up and corrode....BUT...dont be blaming Bimota...thats the new earth lug that Ducati designed on those engines.....Bikes can be laid up for 6 months...and put on trickle charge to preserve the battery....BUT.....it doesnt stop corrosion on the electrical system....I've had it a few times with Bimotas......issues come spring summer time.....thus I now try to start and run each and every bike over winter at least once a fortnight....Electrical wires are like blood veins....they prefer to have juice running through them....the passage of such can burn off inherent corrosion within the wires....and italian wires arent reknowned for their quality
niels550

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed !! Bad ground connections. Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
niels550 wrote:

Apologies Neil....for not having tried to assist....I presume you found the "Stainless steel" earth bolt going into the Rear vertical cylinder on the LHS of the bike? Carrying around 8 or so earths tagged onto it?...THese are none to fur up and corrode....BUT...dont be blaming Bimota...thats the new earth lug that Ducati designed on those engines.....Bikes can be laid up for 6 months...and put on trickle charge to preserve the battery....BUT.....it doesnt stop corrosion on the electrical system....I've had it a few times with Bimotas......issues come spring summer time.....thus I now try to start and run each and every bike over winter at least once a fortnight....Electrical wires are like blood veins....they prefer to have juice running through them....the passage of such can burn off inherent corrosion within the wires....and italian wires arent reknowned for their quality

Stainless steel earth bolt? Yikes.... yet another worm hole to go down.

First thing tomorrow I’ll get onto it. Thanks, 2Bims.

In case anyone is interested, I use something called Corrosion-X. Truly Jesus Christ in a can. It has On occasion even revived corroded marine electrics and certainly keeps salt air corrosion at bay on boat electrics. Made in the USA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: