Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 shock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: YB10 shock Reply with quote

Rode the Dieci to Dave Moss suspension clinic at Pro Italia. Besides realizing that my clutch is going i was advised that my SW rear shocks has air in it needs an overhaul. Do I have an option to go with an Ohlin rear shock? Other options other than Ohlins?
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Dieci Shock Reply with quote

I had one built by Maxton in the UK many years ago - don't know if they still have the spec. YB8e has an Ohlins on.

Clutch is most likely to be slave or master, rather than the clutch itself. There's no adjustment.
who

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbers are fantastic... And well priced from this seller!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121452973432?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are the best. Cheers
2004 BMW R11S BCR
daward

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looking for a replacement for my YB10 rear shock - Wilbers list a YB8 fitment (but not a 10). Are they exactly the same fitment?
Thanks
David
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daward wrote:
Hi

Looking for a replacement for my YB10 rear shock - Wilbers list a YB8 fitment (but not a 10). Are they exactly the same fitment?
Thanks
David

It doesn't really matter that much. When I needed a new shock for the bb1, Wilbers built me one. I think it's the only bb1 shock they have made so far.
My point is that Wilbers will build what you need, but they will of course need some info regarding the old shock, bike, wheights and dimensions.
Other here will surely tell you if YB8 and YB10 share the same shock.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Dieci shock Reply with quote

Dieci has the same frame and same swing arm as an 8. So very likely same shock. Original on the 8 was a Marzocchi.
daward

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Planning to go with a Wilbers then.
YBista

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I realise that you may have already gone down the Wilbers route but just FYI the Ohlins reference for the shock that fits the YB4/6/8 is Bi 815.Although the Dieci ws originally specified as offering an extra 10mm of suspension travel compared to the YB8 i am sure that any shock designed for the YB4/6/8 would be fine on your YB10. This Ohlins shock uses the STX46 body and has remote height adjustment .I recall that list price is c.eur1600+,so really not a cheap option,but you may be able to search out a decent deal on the net .I have done a quick search and found sellers at USD900 (+ import duty etc? )and an easier deal at www.crazydeal-moto.com at EUR 1097.66.Still not cheap but this does include the luxury of remote height adjustment.
One other option ,if you've got the energy,is to contact Nitron for a bespoke build.A couple of friends did this a few years ago for 2 Bimotas and you can now see that Nitron list shocks for the Mantra and YB11.These were bespoke builds requiring a visit to the factory where the bikes were stripped down to enable measurement and assessment of all critical parameters including the ratio of shock movement to wheel movement. Obviously this involves a fair amount of commitment but woukd help all future owners iof YB4,6,8 and 10 models.in addition Nitron offer a number of shock options ranging upwards from c.£450 depending on complexity but all their shocks are high quality .
Hope this helps .
daward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's v helpful - many thanks for taking the time!

I hadn't got round to ordering the Wilbers yet so a bit more thinking to do...
YBista

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,hope the extra details help you make the decision.Just for extra clarity :the Ohlins shock (Bi815) has separate rebound and remote compression adjustment as well as ride height adjustment (in addition to your adjustable dog bones ) and remote adjustable preload so is pretty much at the top end of spec options .
If you want a simpler option then the lower spec versions of the Nitron could be a good option.Alternatively the M-shock from Mike Capon at the Shock-factory could be a good option.Again this would be a bespoke build of very good quality at a very reasonable price .Nitron are in Witney ,near Oxford and the Shock Factory are in Market Harborough ,near Corby .
GOOD LUCK!!
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I explored as many option as I could. A company called Race Tech https://racetech.com/?fbclid=IwAR1op_LMtjt71RdNJA09SH0h23k8o5pSLGG8KEmmuC9jM2iC_m1_CjOly6M
offered to look into rebuilding the current SW shock for a very reasonable $280 with a caveat that they were not certain to have all necessary parts. They also offered to make one of their custom shocks for $1100.

I am not planning to sell the YB10 any time soon, if ever and the difference between a custom built Race Tech shock and an Ohlins shock is roughly $350 but also includes installation. I am familiar with Ohlins, plus it will add much more overall value to the YB10. Hence I placed an order for the Ohlins yesterday and should be receiving it within 30/40 days.

Great riding days are upon us here in So Cal and I can't bear seeing the Dieci just gathering dust in the garage.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
who

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbers are a much better shock than the older style Ohlins. Hi and low speed compression damping to start with. Beautiful german engineering, and made to suit your weight and riding style. plus you can order them with remote preload adjuster at extra cost.

Terry Hayes here at Shock Treatment in Australia (he invented the racetech gold valve) said to me over the phone that " Wilbers are a very very good shock" He isn't prone to exaggeration! Very Happy
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar, I have used Dave at Fast Bike Industries for my suspension work. He worked at Ohlins USA for years and went out on his own. He has access to hard to find parts and made me some custom built forks and shocks. Prices are reasonable and never had any problems. Since he is still friends with Ohlins, he was able to find the build sheets for my DB2 Ohlins Shock and convert it to a DB4 spec shock by matching the shim stacks. The only thing that wasn’t available was the Bimota shock spring (he said it was a one off progressive spring that Bimota had made). He can also adjust the length of shocks. https://www.fastbikeindustries.com/
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the difference between an Ohlins Db2 and Db4 rear shock?....Progressive spring...yeh,.noted that on the bikes (I have a Db2 and Db4)....not noted any other differences though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: