Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

I thought I'd better say...my story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello....all those stay at home virus elluding Bimota followers.

If I have done this correctly....you should be taken to another screen with a vidoe clip.

[img]db11 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This was given to me by Piero along with a road test of the actual bike ....all on stick.....who knows....technology...ehh

regards
Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...........it works but you have to move the mouse over the image and click....then click again once on the video.

Here you can see the special almost metalic paint used on the machine.....

[img]IMAG0435 (002) by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

And finally another from the magazine test photo after Sir Alan Cathcart his dismounted....the bike ran spare body kit and lower spec suspension.

[img]030premierebimotadb11vlxstandjpg by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

When shown at the 2013 EICMA Milan show had OHLINS front and rear.....I have the rear thanks to forum member in OZ but the front end went onto a BB3 and the TFT Dash went walk about.

HELP NEEDED ....to source a dash I am happy with the RAC50 forks and the OHLINS rear but the dash would be the cherry on top ....so to speak.

I have contacted AIM who make the dash but the guy who worked on the project had moved on...no one what unit it was.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what gav is looking for

Has gps tracker/locator....and AIM dash is preloaded with bike race tracks around Europe and North America....so you can get your cornering speeds, g forces....lap times etc etc....same as fitted to the DB7 Oro Nero....

vort28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gav, good to see you got it in the end.
When I last saw the VLX it was as the magazine photo , pretty sure it still had the dash at that point TBH, but could be wrong,it was a few years back now.
djt77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav, fantastic to see you got the unicorn, first in to say if you ever want to sell, let me know. I have details of the dash used on the db7 pro, but it’s not a colour dash, just black nwhite, I believe the 8 oro may have the colour version, or at least the last one produced did have. I’ll email over details tomorrow. Once again we’ll done, look forward the the ride reports and back to back comparison 😊
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a fun and amazing story.

Thank you so much for sharing it.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Gav!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
CNC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the post from Steve on FB and just wanted to congratulate Gavin The Scottish Engineer and the man who send me lovely ballypan for DB7 and the man who drove all the way to Milan last November...

Enjoy this special bike!!! Very Happy
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlefolk of Bimota ....thank you for you words.

I think that there must be a bit of obsessiveness in all or most Bimota fans.

The attention to detail and to have something thought out...even badly in the case of battery boxes ......turns us to Bimota.

The rear shock was a case in point.

Paul D from the forum sent me his BIMOTA shock....not your normal OHLINS issue...look at the detail.

[img]IMAG0687 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The machining witness marks are someting you pay extra for.....believe me.

[img]IMAG0682 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Paul told me he had one ...I did too ....but the OHLINS I had was not billet machined ....and nothing to this quality.

[img]IMAG0685 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

PaulD did the right thing and sent his shock to me in exchange for pictures of our Queen....quite a few pictures

[img]IMAG0686 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

But on arrival, the UK Border impounded the item ....requested Royal Mail to charge me Duties and the Tax letter that Royal Mail sent to me.. got lost.

So the shocK that came from Italy to Australia to the UK went back to Australia.

[img]IMAG0683 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Paul asked 'if I did not want it?'.................I had spent a couple of months tracking it down...then paid for it.......'of course I wanted it!'

So.........the shock that started in Italy, came to Australia twice and then flew to the UK another two occassions.....its seen some miles...as they say.

Now....if only I can source that AIM BIMOTA Dash unit

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great update gav…...and finally..as they say....oh you have email re the Aim dash...courtesy of FB......bit slow this morning...like a morning after a nightout with gav and his crazy cocktails slow.....didn't get the "pictures of our queen"....lots of them...at first.....thought you had photos of her in a compromising position…..or some such...now caught up.....all the same pictures of the queen...in different colours...with total strangers on the back of each...
brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my… that is most certainly a sexy shock!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
djt77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't believe we have a ride report yet Gav, surely with all the good weather in the UK you must have something to report...... I'm pop over and do it myself but this Cid is proving to be a bugger....

and hows the "replica" if we can call it that going.......
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJT77..............thanks for asking....there are a couple of developments on the DB11VLX and also the DB7-11 mule.

I don't wanmt to say what's happening until I have completed the job...but an update will be forth coming very soon.

It's too easy to say...oh..I'm doing this and I plan that...but the world of Bimota is a place with its own beat...and I cannot change it..no matter how hard I push.

And at the momment ...if I push too hard..it might never happen.

Anyway... Covid has hit every event and rally I used to do during spring and summer....so my mind is definately on the above.

thanks

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE......AUG 2020

In March 2020 2Bims posted a request for the aim dash as used by Bimota...but to no avail.

I had learned of one or items from a dubious source...but being electronic, everything has a part numbers.....and I was not sure of its legitimacy.

As I have been searching since acquiring the bike in late 2018 but with no joy....I was running out of ideas.

I had even contacted AIM directly to see if they had anything....but the engineer who worked on the BIMOTA Dash, left the company in 2016.

So....no, they had nothing in the stores and could make nothing....not without a lot of development work again.

Part of the attraction, to me ....on the prototype front.... is not only finding the bike, but also the other things like engineers notes...calculations and in this case .........finding missing parts.

It was obvious that certain parts had been removed either to realize cash by finishing off another model destined for a guaranteed buyer or more sinister reasons.

Who can tell....but I have been in my professional stance witness to many shenanigans when a company is close to the wall....

I was involved the sale of Lotus to Bugatti, back in the early 1990's and the stuff that left the development room...even after an inventory had been taken....was a bit surprising!

Back to the Bimota VLX Prototype....the missing items were the Ohlins Special rear shock, the fairing carbon fibre infill panels (at the handlebar area) and of course the GPS race tack loaded AIM dash with BIMOTA etched all over it.

If these were found...it would have brought the bike back to the spec that I first witnessed at the EICMA show and also at the factory.

Although back at the factory (where I saw it again) the fairing infill sections were removed and an EXTREME was in its place of an Ohlins.

It is one thing finding the bike...its another to return it to how it was exhibited and tested.

This IS the real challenge from my point of view......almost an obsession, at times.

So, a very big thank you goes out to Paul D in the land of OZ (strangely OZ has helped in many ways...Paul D with the Shock and DJT77 with the Supercharger parts on the DB7-11 VLX mule replica)

Piero.....for finding the infill body panels and in fact another COMPLETE set of Carbon Fibre body panels...all slightly different from the DB7-8 versions and custom moulded for the VLX

Maria Elena......for contacting ALL of her sources and finding ONE on a shelf in a store room, at AIM Italy after it had been archived in 2015.

She didn't have to...there was no monies in it for them...but she did and I totally appreciate her actions.

The above sounds straight forward BUT took 19 months to complete, during which time the Bimota factory shut down...stored all their parts in crates.

Then ....moved all the parts to another site...only to opened up again 14 months later.

So.......whats next?

Well, as everything is now in one place the bike has to be recommissioned and got ready for DYNO.

Here are some images to fill the gaps.

[img]IMAG0886 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0888 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0889 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Here you can see the gaps where the infill panels should go along with the special dash fairing bracket.(not the same as the DB7-Cool

This fairing section was modelled to take the single headlamp fairing and the AIM dash

When I bought mine from Piero ....it had a DB7 dash unit stuck in position with holes showing daylight through it.

[img]bimota visit 061 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_20190225_0005 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Here is the simple plotted Dyno sheet...........from Davide Commandini.

[img]IMG_20190225_0001 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This sheet is the top cover of the Engineers notes and software setting....but the long rest means the throttle settles are out and need to reset and all belts changes accordingly.......before DYNO

[img]IMG_20190225_0012 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The bike is going to the only Engineer I really trust....he worked on the SuperSqualo 999 from V2 ...he is Alan Carthcart's bike engineer at Goodwood.

He prepped a Patton and Manx Norton for Dani Pedrosa to race at the 2019 Goodwood classic....added to this he was Ducati America Team Principal at AMA race team with Ben Bostrom and one of the Haydens

He has been my mechanic since 2010 and put the VYRUS 985 through its SVA and basically is a good guy....although very very busy.

So sometime this year it will be up and running.....to be on show at Manchester 2021 exactly as it was at EICMA 2014

Good things take time.......NEVER GIVE UP....never forget

I sincerely hope you enjoyed the journey...I did..even though it included getting very drunk with 2BIMS!

regards
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

brian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's awesome Gav! I admire your drive and patients in finding the correct parts to get the bike back to original. Nice work mate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: