Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Furano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flytoolow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Furano Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is there anything that I should be aware of when buying a Furano ? Does the FI system take more maintenance than the regular carburettor models ? Is there anything that I should walk away from as a new Bimota owner as opposed to one of the regular YB8's

Cheers
Andrew034

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

I own a Furano and can offer a few comments.

The Fuel Injection system is the special differentiator, so ensure it is still present, there are cases of the Fuel Injection (FI) system being removed and carburettors fitted.

When I bought my Furano I had reservations about the FI system, however they have been unfounded so far and the bike has run flawlessly. I did however have to free-up the EXUP valve which had seized. Outside this I have only needed regular maintenance.

I will note that I don't ride the Furano in the rain (the bike is old and rare and I have another all weather bike).

Something you should be wary of is the bodywork. The paint scheme is complex and the bodywork is easily damaged when riding and removed.

The running gear is largely from the FZR 1000 Yamaha (switches, headlights and wiring), however the indicators and tail light are 916 Ducati and the mirrors are Cagiva Mito (from memory).

For the FI system the tech is as follows: The ECU is a Webber Marelli P7 which is also used on the 851 Ducati and some Moto Guzzi models, the P7 is also fitted to some Italian cars of the era. However, the actual ECU is not identical to the Moto Guzzi and Ducati versions, specifically the TPS does not operate at 150mV (about 600mV from memory), so the units are not interchangeable.

To make matters worse, there is no information that I have found on setting the ECU on the Furano

That said, I have undertaken significant research and measurements during my ownership: I have discovered the ECU does not react to an external ECU reader (I'm told if I replace the EPROM with a Moto Guzzi unit, it will react to an ECU reader), however I did build a "Flashing Light" ECU diagnostic tool, which is effectively useless as a diagnostic tool.

It does get better, the Furano retains the entire Yamaha wiring loom and ignition box (to run the EXUP), so the P7 ECU only controls the fuel supply, meaning the TPS setting isn't as critical as on a bike where the ECU also controls the ignition.

Research has turned up that on each power-up the P7 reads the TPS and uses that value as the zero throttle setting (so TPS value may not be important at all). There is also good information on the Bosch electronic sensors and parts and how to test them on the bench.

So basically the ECU is reliable and the TPS position idoes not appear to be hypercritical. My bike has had the injectors replaced by the previous owner and as noted above runs cleanly throughout the rev range and starts easily. I have considered putting the bike on a dyno to fine tune it, however the fuel consumption is correct and as the bike runs cleanly, I haven't bothered.

The Furano may be old, but they still make serious power, you won't be embarrassed at the local track on the main straight (but neither will you be overtaking the newer superbikes).

Unfortuneatly, the injection system does show its age with the issue of stepped delivery. This is not noticeable on the road, however at the track a minor adjustment to the throttle mid-corner can result in a significant power change and as a result upset the suspension.

Keep us posted on your progress

Andrew...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: