Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

A long winded VDue Track Bike build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev, next instalment is the swing arm
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changing of the swing arm.

Towards the end of the build I got in contact with Piero & asked him if he had any race shop parts left over.
He said that he had a un machined SB8R swing arm that was from the Gobert era WSBK if I wanted it.
Is the bear a catholic? Does the pope shit in the woods? Take my money mate.

A few weeks later the swing arm arrived with 2 sets of machine shop drawings. Each of the drawings were slightly different which in turn were slightly different to the swing arm in the bike. I forget what the differences were now.

I took the arm to Clyde but he’d didn’t want to do the machining knowing it was a 1 off & really didn’t have the machines to carry out the work. He sent me another company and they carried out the majority of the work. Even though it took a fair while, it was not finished off very well (just small details) so I went back to Clyde & he cleaned up the areas that needed detailing.

I searched for a company in Aus that could coat the arm & found a business in Melbourne that makes Mag wheels for the V8 supercar series here & he had a big enough treatment tank to coat the arm.

At the same time I had been playing around with making an alternator cover in an alternative material & settled on a 3D printed cover in a carbon fibre matrix. Unfortunately the end result was porous & when that problem was solved, it was to flexible & flexed between the securing bolts & subsequently leaked. I asked the company in Melbourne if he was interested in making a couple of covers out of magnesium & said it was no problem. After about 3 months, the finished parts arrived back in Perth looking pretty good.

Trev offered me a set of Magnesium chain adjusters that he was the proud owner of so we had a bit of a trade which has resulted in the complete swing arm assembly being in Magnesium.

The un-machined cast part of the swing arm has darkened over time but it still looks good while the alternator cover has maintained its’ factory finish

stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous......
Bud977

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is unobtanium! Is the swingarm solid magnesium, or hollow? It looks solid where the cut-out for the shock linkage is.
Weed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stockcar wrote:
Gorgeous......

Yes mate. The casting is a beautiful piece but the Italians are well known for high quality castings.
Weed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977 wrote:
Now that is unobtanium! Is the swingarm solid magnesium, or hollow? It looks solid where the cut-out for the shock linkage is.

The casting is mainly hollow Bud, you can see vent ports around the lower edge of the casting at the front but it is solid around the linkage connection point. I don't know how they do that magical stuff
trev45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some nice bits on the beast thats for sure
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed wrote:
Bud977 wrote:

The casting is mainly hollow Bud, you can see vent ports around the lower edge of the casting at the front but it is solid around the linkage connection point. I don't know how they do that magical stuff

Yep, don't know how you'd do a hollow casting. Definitely magic.
trev45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not to late to get a VDUE Lech , turn up at the race meeting with that heads would spin
Weed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev45 wrote:
Its not to late to get a VDUE Lech , turn up at the race meeting with that heads would spin

What's a Lech mate?
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed wrote:
trev45 wrote:

What's a Lech mate?

Not what, who. That's me, mate. Smile
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev45 wrote:

For sure Trev. Can't have too many two strokes. Add it to the 4DP TZ250, TZ250A, TZ250U, TZ350E, Simpson TZ350, NS400R, RD350LCs, RS125 plus the dirt bikes. Smile
Weed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977 wrote:
Weed wrote:
trev45 wrote:

What's a Lech mate?

Not what, who. That's me, mate. Smile

Now I understand Trev's reply. A great collection there Bud
Cheers
Weed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close to the end now so her are the carbon air tubes

The original air tubes are very restricted so the mission was to form a new set of air tubes. I have always liked the carbon tubes that came with the carb conversion models. Clyde to the rescue. He used the original tubes as a basis so as to enlarge the carbon ones. He built up the outside of the original tube with a removable putty like substance & formed the tube to fit to the original airbox & remove all the internal restrictions. He then gave these to the Brett the carbon fibre man to make moulds from.

They made a cheap & nasty set out of fibre glass to check on the final fit & when that turned out fine, the final carbon set was made, and a lovely result it was.

I am currently getting the airbox made out of carbon but that is a few weeks away from being finished due to different hold ups in getting the moulds made so that's all for now
trev45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice carbon work buddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: