Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

19 year old on a 27 year old Bimota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: 19 year old on a 27 year old Bimota Reply with quote

Hello all,

Finally the Bimota forum is back up, it's been down since I bought my Bimota at age 18!

I also own a Cagiva Mito 125 and my father owns a pair of Ducatis, so I knew, when looking for my next bike, I had to stick with the Italian route. There were a few A2 category bikes (47hp limit) I liked, but none jumped out to me the same way my Cagiva did. I didn't really know a lot about Bimota, being such a small brand with little TV/social media coverage. However, I had seen a DB7 Corse in person which blew me away and started my interest for the brand. I did a bit or research but kind of brushed them away soon after due to high prices and high CC. Fast forward a few months later and my father sends me an eBay link to an auction of a Bimota BB1 Supermono, the one A2 category Bimota. It was a risk to bid, with poor photos, hard to find parts, my test booked for ≈6 months time and obviously minimal general information online. But this was the bike that jumped out at me, the same feeling I had with my Cagiva. I bid and won.

A week or so later, it arrives. A 1996 Bimota BB1 Supermono Monoposto 650 No. 373 of 376. 1 of 3 registered in the UK. The bike needed no work with just the usual stone chip and scratch here and there, but overall, a great bike. Only ≈3,000 miles. It was funny to hear that the courier (who delivered my bike all the way down to Cornwall in the UK) was dropping off another bike and asked the courier if the Bimota was for sale haha. But it's easy to see why, all the milled aluminium and carbon fibre looked great contrasting against the red bodywork.

I was luckily enough to get a test cancellation when I turned 19, at the start of 2023. I passed Mod 1 second time and Mod 2 first time. After paying a whopping £1,200 for my insurance I knew I made the right choice. I am believed to be the youngest Bimota rider in the world and I'm also the only person to have a BB1 on the road in the UK. I've been riding the BB1 for about a month now and already covered a couple hundred miles and loved every one. Looks great, rides great. So much better than the modern, overpriced, "go-to" A2 bikes like the Yamahas and Hondas. I wasn't born in the wrong generation, I was born to keep the old generation alive, haha. The Bimota shall continue to be used (along with my Cagiva) as much as possible, like they're supposed to. Yes, it vibrates a lot like everyone said, but after two rides I was used to it. The lightness and torque makes up for the "low power" too.

My passion for Bimota has now grown too. I've learnt about Bimotas whole range of bikes and am surprised that they are not spoken about more, especially with all of their accomplishments and incredible bikes. I've also managed to buy 2 rare genuine Bimota branded watches.

I am unable to upload any more photos currently sorry, as I am on my phone. However, view my Facebook (Jonathan Rayworth) or Instagram (ronny_jayworth) for photos. Feel free to message any questions there as I'm more likely to respond there. I'm excited to read some of the older posts on here and find more incredible bikes and stories. Hopefully I can inspire younger riders to buy Bimotas too and keep the Bimota name alive for another generation.[/img]
hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. I had a BB1 for a few years recently also, and regret selling it, because I have a bit of a thing for singles.

Enjoy.
brian

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Bimota ownership and welcome to the forum!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Anders

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your BB1!
I have owned my BB1 for about 21 years now, but haven't ridden it lately. It lives on the workbench, it's engine will get a bigger cylinder and piston when I get around to finishing it Smile

If you have any BB1 related questions, I will try to answer if I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: