Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

spring clean time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoglym paint restorer followed by Autoglym car polish topped off with a couple of coats of Mr Sheens finest.
Works a treat.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used polish on a buffing wheel ... on a drill but you can use a bench mounted buffer.

Black T-cut can work for a quick once over.

If it's very dull then try a very fine wet and dry before a buffing wheel.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure geekay will answer, but for my DB2 at the top of the thread I cut back the lacquer on the carbon with fine wet and dry cleaned off and relacquered, leave for a few days to harden then I T-cutted it back and applied polish. If your lacquer coat is still in tact and not flakey but just faded from the sun you can t-cut it back only and then repolish by hand. Only caution is make sure the lacquer is intact as if you apply polish to bare carbon areas it gets ingrained in the mesh and looks awful
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them. First I've got to handle with my wrecked street bike. A car driver decided to turn into her driveway overlooking me coming from the opposite direction. No chance, not even got the time to brake. Bummer.

Only some contusions because of good protective riding gear and after I got the money from the insurance I can look for another street bike. Wasn't really planning that.....

Public roads really are dangerous.......
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that deebee4 but glad that you are OK. Good riding gear can save a lot of injuries but in our current spell of nice weather I have seen the usual t-shirt/jeans/trainers/ helmet riders on big streetbikes - scary Shocked
will you be buying the bike back from your insurers and rebuilding it as well as buying another (Bimota) streetbike? Wink
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggest fuel tank in motorcycling ? Smile

notice how the indicators are "speed-warped" Wink
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
sorry to hear that deebee4 but glad that you are OK. Good riding gear can save a lot of injuries but in our current spell of nice weather I have seen the usual t-shirt/jeans/trainers/ helmet riders on big streetbikes - scary Shocked
will you be buying the bike back from your insurers and rebuilding it as well as buying another (Bimota) streetbike? Wink

The street bike is an Aprilia and I'ts no use buying the wreck with bent and shattered front end destroyed right side.

So I'll wait what the insurance will pay and what I can by for that and how much extra funds I want to withraw from my bank account.

I could go out and find myself a Mantra, that bikes has no secrets for me anymore, since I worked on a Mantra before.

Still, I like to vary my choice of bikes, as long as it's Italian. So we'll see with what we'll end up with.....
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
biggest fuel tank in motorcycling ? Smile

notice how the indicators are "speed-warped" Wink

Oww yes, and those dreadful fuel taps that start to leak immediately as soon as you close them with more than just very light finger pressure.

Still there are more fuel tanks like that: look at the "modern" all purpose bikes with integrated tank headlight assemblies. At least these are made out of loose parts and not in one piece, making it neccessairy to take off the bars just to take the tank off.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Ohlins remote reservoir hose cover - Db2 and others Reply with quote

For anyone needing to renew their discoloured plastic sheathing to their ss braided remote resrvoir hose, Maplins do a wonderful massive 10m long bag of 8mm spiral cable wrap for a measly 3.19 squid

Only problem now is what do I do with the remaining 9.80m? Unfortunately I can't afford another 49 No. Bimotas

GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be Xmas before you know it, and 338 registered users could all receive some from Santa Steve? Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did check out your Mantra close up's but noted it had the Paoli rear shock with no remote, but if you need any for any other bikes just pm you address again and I'll gladly send a few metres your way GeeKay
who

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely 2bims.

Regarding restoring carbon, the best way to have it permanently looking good is sand with 800 until all imperfections are out, and then spray with a high quality 2k acrylic enamel clear finishing coat. You will probably never have to touch it again.

If you are not set up to paint, most paint shops will have some left in the gun after finishing that merc or lexus. Amazing what a few beers can achieve!
v12al

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deebee4 wrote:
Hou did you magage to get that carbon fibre so shiny without respraying?

Nice to see a bimota growing again.

I really need to know that too.... rear hugger looks fine after respraying but from mudguard keeps cracking the laquer... tell me, tell me Smile
v12al

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry... i missed a whole page where the answer was... got it now lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: