Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R ECU Tuning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB8R Tuner wrote:
GeeKay
Evilchicken0

Yes, it is nice for me, but how many people you know would pay for someone else to spend a ton of hours working on the factory ECU to tune it correctly? Now that I have gotten my bike bike right it does not take as much effort to tune a second one. That is why haveing a really good base map helps to speed things up. As far as being able to tune each cylinder, the factory ECU can do that also. It is called rear cylinder offset map and I can adjust the spark curve the same way.

The main reason I started this thread is to inform SB8R owners that there is an option for them to have their ECU tuned correctly and the bike is no way a lost cause. Very Happy Very Happy

Ok - so why didn' you simply say that you have a company to retune the SB8's ECU ... it's more of an advert but you own the bike so it's valid.

So, which company, your contact details and approx cost ???
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Laughing I vote for Geekay as the next prime minister or at least foreign minister ! diplomacy is not dead after all ... Laughing Laughing Laughing

not for me - no good at fiddling expenses............... Wink
mortsta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went back to the original tls computer back in 2001...had to change the 4 sensors tho....
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0

Answering your question about the cost is a little hard. I have found a few problems that effect the quality

of the tuning of the bike. The throttle bodies are to big, the injectors are very inefficient, fuel pressure is

not consistent and the cam timing is a bit screwed up. I also changed the tuning points in the fuel and spark

maps to give smoother throttle control and lower throttle and PRM positions. Needless to say, finding all these

problems is what took so long to come upon a final tune. After correcting these problems it was all down hill.

When I tuned my bike I got 120Hp with 72ft-lbs. of torque. The torque curve is really flat and broad. It makes

60ft-lbs. @4000, 72ft-lbs. @7200 and 62ft-lbs. @10000. The dyno system I have is a Dynomite Formula SAE unit. It

reads true rear wheel torque and horsepower through a strain Gage and not from spinning up a steel drum

(Dynojet) and using a formula to calculate torque and horsepower. On the average my dyno reads 5-10 Hp less than

a Dynojet model. If someone was to bring me their bike it would cost around $3000. This would include modifying

the throttle bodies, modifying the injector housing and installing new injectors, new fuel rail, correcting the

cam timing, coating the inside of the gas tank, new custom air filter, modify the fuel pump, and reprogramming the

ecu. I can even make it a dual injector system with a shower injector for the second injector if one desires. I have not made a map for a stock (no mods) SB8R yet so I can't say what it would cost to do one right now. I can be reached at deeepdiver@bellsouth.net if any one has any questions.
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Just a note to say that my SB8RS went right off song recently after the battery was replaced by a bike shop Embarassed after the battery died far from home. (As anyone with one of these bikes know the battery is hard to replace on the SB8RS -- its under the steering column, so I got a shop to recovered it etc)

I made a guess that when the tank was refitted the TPS got knocked anticlockwise (really easy to do this) and that would explain why the fueling was so lean. Along with a pinched fuel hose, pulled off vacuum hose etc, this was a likely explanation as all they did was change the battery.

As it turned out my luck was in and cure was quite simple, i just undid the two allen screws on the TPS and wound it clockwise (against the movement of the butterfly) a very small amount. Apart from being a tiny bit lean still, it has worked very well. I might give it another nudge forward though to "perfect" Rolling Eyes it.

I have heard of lots of owners having issues with the SB8R lean fuelling and I really do think that the TPS is a source of many of these problems.

The TPS is a really sensitive device and it is easily disturbed when the tank is refitted as the tank literally strikes or pushes down on one side of the TPS as the tank is fitted, this could potentially spin it around out of spec.

As per any TPS, rotating against the throttle opening movement == richer mix, rotating it with the direction of the opening throttle == leaner.

I would also hazard a guess that the TPS should be set after the 750 mile first service and many SB8R owners never had a luxury of a real first service as the dealerships have been so sporadic.

Finally setting TPS by feel needs a lot of luck or time and I have been a bit lucky for a change. Does anyone know how to zero the TPS properly on the SB8R or at least know the typical mV reading vs throttle position e.g. 250mv fully closed etc??

Many thanks,
Zombie
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's done mark it with paint and draw a line through it, you'll know if it get's moved and be able to zero it more quickly.
daotoys1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 3 BIMOTA SB8RS bikes and have a few brand new spare BIMOTA SB8R/SB8RS Microtec ECUs.....

If I were to send you one of my new BIMOTA SB8R/SB8RS ECUs could you remap it for me ??? and what would that cost???

I also have a few extra BIMOTA "Fuel Trimmers" and the Evoluzione made "Fuel Dial Trimmers" that plug into the SB8R/SB8RS ECU for adjusting the fuel/air rich/lean mapping......I could send that with the ECU as well if it will be of any help.

My bikes are highly upgraded, but I have left the engines in the street bikes alone to retain maximum reliability, but I do have the open/race exhaust systems. Thats really the only modification for engine performance; the majority of the mods Ive done are for full race spec wheels, brakes and suspension as well as titanium and other weight saving mods....

Can you be of help in the fuel mapping???

let me know

thanks
daotoys1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....now that you have told us about your success tuning and/or fixing your BIMOTA SB8R/SB8RS fueling problems, what have you to offer the other owners to help them share your success?

I seriously doubt many of us can spend the $3000 USD you talk of, not to mention the cost to ship a bike to and from your location.

In my last entry I ask you if you can fix a ECU unit if I were to send you a new unused one.......this is something some of us could do ( send you our ECU and have it fixed).....

If this is not possible, then what else is other than sending you the entire bike and a check for $3000 USD???

I hope to hear more from you on this.

When you started this thread you said you were attempting to help owners with SB8R/SB8RS bikes, but all you have done so far is tell us some of the things you have done to your own bike, which is great to hear, but what most of us are hoping for is help in getting our own bikes to work as best they can.

Thanks for your time. Im hoping to hear more from you on this topic.

Have a good holiday
Smile
nflpats

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daotoys1

Just call Dyno Jet. They did a Power Commander on my SB8R-S and it runs incredibly. I don't care what this guy says about the PC but it worked for me and I even gained more HP (128 at the rear wheel). Hell, for $2999, Ill fly to your place, ride the bike to Dyno Jet in Vegas, and return it to you. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: