Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New kid on the bike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie.T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: New kid on the bike Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, newboy Stevie.T here, from Preston Lancashire, first post - ever - second ride on my recently aquired YB11 today. First one was to put her through an MoT - no problems there - came home the long way round. I don't know whether or not I did the right thing but I recently swapped a nice Suzuki RGV250 RJ22 plus some cash for a YB11. I know very little about them other than they look stunning. Low mileage, private plate, 2001, speedo conversion to mph, headlamp conversion to U.K. dip, nice new end can (aftermarket) and brand new Ohlins shock fitted. Carbon everywhere, gorgeous looker, but ooohh so uncomfortable to ride. I know that being the wrong side of 55 doesn't help but I needed a chiropracter to help me off!!! I wasn't using the Suzie but after today I'm not sure I'll be able to use the YB either. However, what a bike!! Seriously impressed, couple of things I would like to ask though, Are the sidestands really safe? Bike looks to be leaning a long way over. Also, are the carbon huggers available still? mine is o.k. but has a small crack in it and I wondered if they can still be got? Is there anyone else in the North West, does anyone ever get to Devils Bridge or Rivington Barn? probably said too much for first post so I'll clam up now. regards, Steve
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stevie T and welcome to the Forum. You should be able to get used to the YB, as they are more comfortable than most, just have to train your muscle memory for a few times and then you'll get used to it.
There are occassional runs to the Barn by the likes of GeeKay, Vort28 Bimotanige and myself, all based up north.
Rear huggers cab occassionally be had for YB11, I picked a new old stock one up from a YB11 being broken in Germany from Bimot-parts.de, advertises on Ebay if you type in Bimota, a thread for his site comes up at the bottom, nice bloke called Rudolf, you can email direct to him via his site, use google translate to convert to german as he speaks no english, but has a translater come in from time to time that helps. He doesn't take credit card and bank transfers are only way of paying but he's a good guy
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres lots of threads on the forum re sidestands. and yes the ones on the YB11 are very short. Some people have cut them in half, drilled and tapped a thread inside and added a tubular insert to make them longer. Just be very careful where you park it, off camber etc. I carry a block of decking timber around to prop underneath to get a better angle of lean. and it also stops it digging into the tarmac/soft ground that would normally see it going over on its side.

A guide for rear hugger if Rudolf has any left would be circa 250 GBP so you may prefer to take your old one off and layer a patch on the back over the crack. Not ideal but does the job a whole lot cheaper
Stevie.T

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info posted so far. The crack in the hugger is really very minor and I will probably just leave it, for now at least. I may take the advice to lengthen the sidestand a little as that seems a fair idea.
I went out on her again and she's not getting any more comfortable! if this carries on I feel that I will sell and replace with a more touring orientated bike - sic. Just on the subject of selling can anyone advise me on how much she is likely to be worth, sensibly? Steve
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you buy it for ????
As in how much was your bike worth that you swapped for it ???

Have you tried wearing cycle shorts
Stevie.T

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon she owes me £4500 Confused
oily

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£4500.......
Not bad for a YB11 Wink
dougk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just paid 5000 for mine with 8k miles and pretty much fully rebuilt (except engine) and painted....
I still have not got it yet as the shop was let down on the paint work

there is one in Bournemouth advertised for £4k
bimotanige

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stevie - no the seat is not comfy at all I agree if you have long legs as you take nearly no wieght on your legs so it kills your arse after a couple of hours if you dont move around the bike when riding- its the worst of my bikes. Ive picked up a cheap used front seat off ebay and am sending it off for extra gel padding so I'll see how that goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: