Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

6R woes part 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: 6R woes part 18 Reply with quote

My 6R is misbehaving again. It's got a misfire that's got progressively worse.
It's no big thing as it's forced me to put more miles on the big bore 6 Laughing
But the time has come to attempt a permanent exorcism of this particular gremlin.
Firstly the pain of stripping it down to change the plugs then testing it.
Seems to have done the trick so through the pain of putting it all back together for a test ride.
Half a mile up the road........missing like a good un so back home, stripped down again changed the plug cap on n0.4 and try again
Crying or Very sad this could finish me off so I've bitten the bullet and ordered some Dyna mini coils and leads which should be here today.
At least I can then eliminate the coils/leads/caps and plugs all in one session.
TBC........
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the side stand return springs ?

My SB6 had the older style stand and over time the weight of stand bouncing caused the smaller spring to weaken first then break. The stand then carries lower and triggers the cut out switch just enough to cut the engine for a second or two.

Like you changed the plugs. Then fitted dyna coils and new leads. Like you I rode it after and all seemed ok for about 40 - 50 miles then it would start again.
Bridge the cutout switch and see it make a difference
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things I did when I initially tried to start this bike was strap out the side stand switch and for some reason never got around to reinstating it Embarassed
But thanks for the reminder Wink
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here they are......

Got to fit the plug nuts to the new plugs. The plug manufacturers don't seem to supply them with the plugs these days but never fear......A set is supplied with the new leads...............

measure up the new coils compared to Suzuki San's and I've had to turn down the support spacers

One new coil one old coil......

Both new coils in place.....these mini coils are about the same size as Suzuki's coils.....I would never have got a pair of the big old green Dyna coils in here.....

Fiddling about with the awkward bolts that hold the battery box on.....

Battery back on and all connected up...............................................

Air-box lid/ram air scoops back on and all that leaves is.....................

.........The bodywork to replace and a test ride. The roads have dried up a tad so there's no time like the present
Wink ....................
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are old green dyna's ... took a bit of jiggling to get them in though

I had to turn the coils by 90 degrees to mount them so I put them on brackets

oily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fitted green Dyna's to my first SB6 but you wouldn't get them on a 6R because of the space the air intakes use. It's quite tight with the mini coils................

Which by the by have sorted my miss-fire and the bikes running better than ever.
Laughing Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick footnote on the DYNATEK MINI COILS, unlike the lardy old green coils, the mini series are polarity conscious and the +ve terminal is marked with a red dot. You can just make it out in some of the pictures Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: