Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Second gear problems - Hesitation at 4000 rpm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Second gear problems - Hesitation at 4000 rpm Reply with quote

The Original gear selector forks for second gear are as soft as butter and running them even if they work fine is ascking for trouble sooner or later.

Replacing them with the uprated hardened versions takes away the worry of when your second gear is going to explode.

But then if you're reading this then it's probably too late and it's already happened.

The problem manifests itself as a hesitation, engine cutting, or misfire type feeling at around 4000 rpm in second gear and is due to teeth missing from the second gear.

Clutchless changes up the box prevent it to a degree along with a properly adjusted gear linkage that throws the gear all the way home and not half way. Also increasing the tickover rpm to 2000 reduces the engine breaking effect on changing down and hepls save second gear from locking the back wheel on quick downchanges.

Finally, Always short shift from first to second to prevent damage from missing the gear. Second won't engage if the revs are too high and so there's not much point in taking it higher than 3000 rpm in first as you'll have to wait for the revs to drop before 2nd will engage.

I'm in the middle of a strip down at the moment and will add all relevant info as I go along.

cheers,
Carl
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Are the upgraded bits standard components, or aftermarket bits you have sourced?

All the best

Keith
BB1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard components (now). They were introduced as standard on later models once the problem had been found. However, very few bikes were fixed under warranty. I know of at least a dozen F650 owners that have suffered from this.

Here are the differences...

The uprated selector fork is on the right. Note the extra lug at the top..

Cheers, Carl
BB1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took 5 hours to drop the motor and I have to say there isn't a whole lot of bike you don't have to remove to get the engine out!

Good Old bimota! Trust them to design a frame where you CAN'T get the clutch cover off the engine with the engine in the frame BUT you need the engine IN the frame to take the clutch off!

So if you've struggle to get the cover off and it just won't come it's because the clutch actuator has to turn to get the cover off. But as it does, it hits the frame, stopping it. Catch 22.

So, engine out, and the cover off, I've only gone and bust the inner clutch basket using a make shift clutch holder. DOH! That's not going to be cheap. None on ebay.

I also had to remove the whole radiator to allow 1mm (yes! 1mm extra room) to get the exhaust stud out, because the exhaust can't be removed with the radiator holder in place! and THAT can't be removed unless the starter motor is removed! Jeesh!

The job has now stopped due to not having the correct alternator rotor puller so I'll be picking this up again in a few days when I can actually get into the gearbox.

Why do we own Bimotas? I'd gladly swap this for an R6 right now, I can tell you. Smile
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are like women... the more effort you put in the more they bite you in the ass! or is that the more you get back? I can never remember. Always worth it in the end. Good luck. In the mean time I have an r6 you can use...
madasfook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are not much help Very Happy but why have an R6 when you can have a R1 Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have an r6 when you can ride a bit and an R! when you just think you can ride... Laughing
BB1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! Wink
madasfook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr michilin is totaly scufed off the side of my rear boot Shocked and with no chcken strip to speak of , so lets drop the my bike my bikes bigger than your bike . any way an R6 is a girls bike Laughing Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. You may be right but there's always a place for bikes that are as cheap and easy to ride as the girls that have them... Razz
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO Laughing Laughing Laughing
madasfook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to clever for me as that went right over my head Shocked any way do you know how i can find this place with all the cheap bikes Question and girls Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I always make the mistake of thinking they are on ebay but find out I have been sold a lemon and end up doubling my costs to make them good! Imagine if you could pick up relationships on ebay... probably get the same results. Spend loads to sort them out and by the time you are finished you are so fed up you pass it on and move on to the next one.

Note to self: Dont let the wife read this. Laughing
madasfook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats true if it looks to good to be true it normaly is
BB1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 4 hours after starting the rebuild the engine is back in the fram and I've now reached the part where it's two steps forward and one step back with no Bimota manual.

Fit Cable- take cable off because wires go behind cable.
Fit radiator - take radiator back off becasue fuse box fits to radiator bolts.
Fit radiator - take radiator off because choke cable routed behind and not in front of it. Refit radiator.
Fit Oil pipes - Take off oil pipes becasue one is longer than the other, refit oil pipes. - take off oil pipes becasue small oil pipe goes on before two large oilpipes.

Etc, Etc.

So far so good though and it's been a relatively straight forward job. The only worrying thing is that I seem to have a small metal part left that could have come from this bike, the spare Pegasso engine or the Moto Morini 125 in the corner! Smile Lets hope I don't need it!

Should have the engine running in about two hours in the morning once the wiring is all completed. (read about 3pm after I've fitted and removed everything about 5 times).

If it wasn't snowing, I'd take it for a ride tomorrow afternoon. But Pirelli SC pro's and snow don't really mix Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: