Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

NEW Mantra DB3 on the block

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: NEW Mantra DB3 on the block Reply with quote

Hi there,
I saw some interesting discussions on this forum, so I joined the "clan"Smile. I'm from Slovenia and my Mantra is the only Mantra in my country. I bought it NEW 2 months ago and made it a little up-to-date with some Rizoma parts and LED lights... and of course some new rubber as the original was already plastic hard. Yes, NEW. The bike was never on the street as I bought it from a car saloon that had it all the time just as a show bike. They ran the motor a few times a year just to keep it alive. Unbelievable. I used to drool over it when I was a kid and now I took it by unbelievable chance, after some years of searching of course. As you know most of them were yellow. According to media only 28 of red ones were produced. Anyway, now I registered it and I'm taming it for regular use... Taming because after all these years of standing still the bike doesn't rew regularly and acts crazy when you open the throttle. It's like a crazy wild horse right now. It has to eat some miles and it will be ok.

So listen, I saw a battery mod (only one under the seat instead of two on the sides) somewhere and I wonder if anybody can confirm that it is a good and stable mod? And how the hell is the battery mounted under the seat? Next I'm gonna put some DB-killers on the mufflers because I have the Italian open version that makes 101 decibel and it is really too loud. So, does anybody have any experience or info about that?
Here are some pics (click).

GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum - great bike! Yellow ones are faster. Very Happy
Yours is not the only Mantra in Slovenia - mine was there in June this year - I stayed at Ankaran, then travelled across to Ljubljana, on to Maribor then crossed into Austria.
Slovenia is a lovely country, which I would like to see more of in the future.
Enjoy riding your new bike!
Uros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. Really? Huh that would be a good surprise for me to meet a yellow one on the street. Then we could see which one is faster:).

Listen, I wonder if you maybe had a similar issue: an hour ago my mechanic told me that the ignition knob on the handlebar is broken (an inner plate or somethnig) in a way that he cannot repair it and the whole right command with switches has to be replaced!!! Of course I will see if Bimota has one for spares, but in the case this is not possible, I don't know what to do... To put on a totally different command it is probably a risky business...
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say "ignition knob", do you mean the red switch on the r/h switchgear that kills the ignition?
If so, you can join the two wires from this switch together and the bike will run OK, but you will have to use the ignition key to switch it off.
I, personally, never use the "kill switch" anyway.
JeremyB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Battery Box Reply with quote

>>
So listen, I saw a battery mod (only one under the seat instead of two on the sides) somewhere and I wonder if anybody can confirm that it is a good and stable mod? And how the hell is the battery mounted under the seat?
<<
Yeah - the stock system (2 little 12V batteries in parallel under the tank) is a real 'Italian Design feature'. Removing that tank assembly is a pain...

I never modified mine, but its often done. Take a look at this one (currently on US EBay, item 200645825068) for an idea of how to mount it. You'll need a battery box of some sort.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1438Q2el2648QQitemZ200645825068QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT#ht_884wt_746[/url]
Uros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that one. Maybe, during winter, I might try that out. But I would probably use one of the black stock holders and just mod it because I would like it not to be seen right away from behind or on the side of the bike. This guy made it very visible.

On the other hand, why make so much trouble to put it under the seat? Maybe I'll just remove the right one and keep the left one (that is not visible when the bike is photographed from its nicer side, the right side). I don't think that it would affect stability or anything vital. I even think that the bike is more affected by the front/end weight ratio if you remove both front batteries and put one in the back. Yeah, maybe I'll try and just keep the left one.

The problem was the ignition knob to start the bike (the one on the bottom). If it would be any other knob it would be easier. BUT during the day my Ducati meccanic (of course we don't have a Bimota meccanic) invented a way to make it work! So now it's solved, I hope for good. Thank god because Bimota factory doesn't reply and I already looked around for aftermarket parts and it gets very complicated because you need an electrician to connect all the cables and so on.

Anyway, in a way, buying a bike that has almost no kilometres, but is more than 10 years old, has its downfalls too. All the rubber becomes plastic because of unuse and plastic parts like switches become flimsy. I'll have to make a general dismounting and revision to be sure that everything is as it should be.

Why is the tank dismounting a pain? Because you have to take down the handlebar and then you need 2 other guys to take it down or what?
robin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Starter switch Reply with quote

Hi

If you look on the eBay bike, it has a starter switch from an older Aprilia RSV - these are easy to find. Maybe the connections are the same. I have a Mantra and an RSV switch - will check and let you know. I've also moved my battery, but a simpler arrangement, just bolting a box to the side of the seat subframe - I'll take a picture and put it up.

Looks like the guy in Michigan has quite a few Bimotas - nice workshop too!

Robin
Uros

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, thanks a lot. For now, the button is working as new, so my meccanic is really a capable guy. You know, nowadays they usually just tell you to buy the whole part new and they don't care to repair it. By the way, still no reply from Bimota Italy... maybe they have to much orders and have no time for me (if I'm correct there are only 20 employed in Bimota).

Yeah, the US guy seems to be a collector too. I'm also searching for a Bimota SB8R... and that is (besides the tesi 3D) the last Bimota I'm considering. All Bimotas are fantastic bikes, but I choose also by the looks and these 3 are the only ones that I like.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with others, welcome to the Forum. With your engine being from the "old" ducati 900SS, you'll find most switchgear and electircs are interchangeable (barring your clocks that is). These are a lot easier to search and find on Ebay and even Ducati dealers can sometines get hold of things for you, far easier than relying on Bimota I'm afraid to say. Getting hold of and storing spare parts is all part and parcel of Bimota ownership, and gives you something to do when the weather turns bad
Uros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, I agree. That's all part of having an exotic vehicle. Thank god at least the Ducati Monster/SS machine is one of the most sold machines from Ducati. Even Cagiva Elephant had it and some others too. Bimota factory is slow in terms of parts (that probably they don't have anymore anyway) but they helped me a lot with the homologation for the registration, so I can say they're really nice guys nonetheless.

But, if I had a 500 Vdue and something went broke, now that would be a pain in the ass.

This weekend I had a good getting-to-know drive with the Mantra and I was really surprised of what this bike can manage. When comparing to its looks I would never say. It's quite unbelievable actually. The supersports 600 R6 and similar had some trouble with my Mantra especially in the curves where she bends superbly.

And also I found interesting that even for easy cruising, she likes those 5000 rpm more than 3000 that I would give her with my experience.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you many happy years of riding and Bimota Obsession, be warned, it can become an addiction. Mantras, not liked by all, but undeniably the best cruiser, I'm sure if you check GeeKays European tour posts you'll see just how capable they can be. My own Bimota had been sat for 7 years without being run, and electrics are just getting better and better with each mile. Kill switch used to be interittent, thus I sourced a spare, and as soon as it arrived, the old one hasn't had a problem since. Lights on Tacho used to flicker and go off, but again, now no problems. Trick is with Italian electrics, they like to be used, and they like to be dry also, not a problem with most Bimotas though 9the dry bit that is). I would advise an oil change and filter change after the first 500 miles/kms if your bike has never been run before, don't forget it will still need running in
Uros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing bims,
I changed the oil right away, tires, oil filter, chain too. And funny, but true, you are right about electrics, he he. The neutral light never lighted up, but now, after 200 km run, it lights up. SmileSmile What the hell? And the fuel light never lighted up, so I don't really know when I'm gonna be left out of fuel... he he.

Oh, just a warning about sparks! I also changed my sparks for new NGK Iridium VX which are in the catalogue as ok to switch with the stock, but don't do that! My Mantra started to act weird with explosions and turning off in the middle of a run and smelling of fuel and busting through the aircleaner.... Now I changed back the stock ones and it runs like new again... I'll never try to change something like that anymore...
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you had the spark plug gap set correctly? I've used Iridium plugs before and they came with the wrong setting

Standard Copper Core Stock
DPR8EA-9 4929 - Iridium - DPR8EIX-9 2202 Gap 0.6mm

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/

The above is a great site for deciding on correct plug types. Also be sure if you are setting the gaps yourself that you are using metric feeler gauges and not imperial, as I did once in the very dim and distant past.

Don't be waiting too long for the low fuel sensor light to come on. The bulb probably works fine but the float needle sensor in the tank usually goes AWOL. Some folk try to fix them, but parts are hard to come by. Just make sure you fill the tank and zero the tripmeter each time and go by mileage. I think for your tank you could go up to 140miles between fill ups, mine though (a DB2) I daren't take past 100 miles between fill ups, but then the engine and carbs are far from "stock"
Uros

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

The sparks are 0,6 which is also stock. I know that the bike is supposed to run better with iridiums but it just doesn't. My Ducati meccanic said a lot of guys come in with Monsters etc. with changed sparks and when he puts the stock ones in everything comes back to normal. I don't know, but I don't really care. The bike goes fine now and that's all it matters.

They say that it is best not to touch a Ducati if it runs well, so now I have my first lesson. Don't mess with a Bimota if she's fine. Smile

About the sensor you just might be right. I'll just refuel more often to be sure and that's it. But during winter I usually start digging about things like this and if I find a place where to get replacements, I'll let you all know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: