Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

I hate Brembo's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: I hate Brembo's Reply with quote

The brakes are OK, but the parts back-up is pissing me off.
After the rear caliper debacle (leaking seals = new caliper), the front master cylinder on the Mantra started to leak fluid past the outer piston seal. And can you get a rebuild kit for a 16mm piston cylinder.

NO!!

So it's £110 for a new unit then. Evil or Very Mad

Just the clutch and rear brake m/c's and front calipers left to replace - I better get saving.
stockcar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be worse, i have had a number of car front brake seal kits on order with Brembo for over 2months and still not even an idea of delivery date never mind the parts.......... Confused
zombie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this any help Geekay??

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=st4+front+caliper&_sacat=0&LH_LocatedIn=0&_sop=10&_dmpt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&_dmd=1&_odkw=ss900+front+caliper&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Not sure if this is the right version of the caliper, but they usually seem to be common with Ducati/Guzzi/Laverda.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers fella!
I'm hoping the calipers will hold out a bit longer. But then again......... Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ordered a new master cylinder yet? The serie d'oro master cylinder on my DB2 (previous replacement for the black coffin box style of the original) had also gone squishy and lost its bite. Tried all the usual bleeding but defo the main seal to the brake line that had gone. Now replaced with a new brembo master cylinder picked up from Ducati Manchester for a snip at 143 squid. Does include the lever and the front brake light switch also, but wasn't worth risking the old squishy one seeing as its the front brake. Later version now to be fitted also has the bleed nipple on the cylinder so should be a lot better to set up
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - new original type black master cylinder fitted - unit cost £110 complete. Makes the clutch m/c look shit now............ Crying or Very sad
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugger - lost the little plunger thingy that operates the front brake switch.......... bet you can't buy one of those, either.
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so Geekay

If you really need one let me know. I think I probably have one around somewhere and it wont cost much to post.

Cheers,
Zombie
v12al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have bought a early SB6... suzuki switchgear and master cylinders..... not laughing tho cos mine has been off the road for 18 months and probably gonna go through the nightmare of rebuilding the calipers (brembo's)..... aw sometimes I hate these things when I am looking to find bits, then all is forgiven when ya ride em again.
Thats just life with a BIMOTA, buy exotic and ya get hassle but its always worth it in the end.
v12al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have bought a early SB6... suzuki switchgear and master cylinders..... not laughing tho cos mine has been off the road for 18 months and probably gonna go through the nightmare of rebuilding the calipers (brembo's)..... aw sometimes I hate these things when I am looking to find bits, then all is forgiven when ya ride em again.
Thats just life with a BIMOTA, buy exotic and ya get hassle but its always worth it in the end.
v12al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al.....you've got a stutter Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you don't need to overhall the calipers or master very often .... and Duacti's have the same brakes so it's the same for them.

You know Brembo don't recomend you use brake cleaner because it causes the seals to swell.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Brembo seemed to give up doing parts 20 years ago. Story I heard was it was them being scared about product liability issues with someone random rebuilding calipers.

All the best

Keith
Bimsb6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
Hi

Brembo seemed to give up doing parts 20 years ago. Story I heard was it was them being scared about product liability issues with someone random rebuilding calipers.

All the best

Keith

Correct,threat of litigation in the u.s . Coincided with the 916 coming out i believe .brembo suppliers at silverstone can supply calipers quite cheaply if you know the car part number ! Rear caliper for the sb6 complete with pads was around £50 the corresponding bike part number was considerably more from the same supplier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: