Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Hi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi All,
My name is Rich and I live in Queensland Australia. I have a 1997 YB11. Have had no trouble at all with it, but its only done 15000k's. I am the second owner. I have a question regarding the chain tension. The handbook says to refer to the sticker on the hugger, but the sticker doesn't have any info on the amount of slack it needs! There are all sorts of warnings in the handbook about broken gearboxes if it is too tight, so I have been running it very loose. Does any one know what it should be set to?

Thanks
Rich.
oily

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rich, can't help you with Bimota's spec but most of the bikes I've owned have been about 20/25mm slack. set it to about 25mm then get someone to sit on the bike and check it again to make sure you've still got slack, if so, get riding Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever see the reverse camera on motogp you can see how hard the swing arm and chain are thrown around and thats on a flat track, not the road. You are always better off erring on the slack side and not to tight. It allows free movement for the swing arm with the threat of undue wear to the chain and sprockets wand not the gearbox which is ultimately cheaper. However, there is always the danger of a dry chain snapping under too much strain from an over slack chain which can be a disaster if it locks up the bike or is thrown thru your leg or backside! It may also cause damage to the swing arm itself. As long as the chain is clean and lubed you have some leeway but I would suggest free travel of 25 to 40 mm be maintained. Chain, tyres and pads... if you wait til they are worn out, you have waited too long!
rpo83

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Was it you i met on last years Barry Sheene ride, I had my SB6 there and i bumped into someone on a Ducati Sport Classic, who had ridden down from Queensland 2 up with his wife. He said he had a YB11 at home...

If it was, great to see you here, if not.... still great to see you here Very Happy

Cheers

Steve
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, Yea that was me alright. I still have a photo of your bike as part of my screen saver. Very nice. Very Happy Good to catch up again. Did you go on the ride again this year?

Later Rich
rpo83

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Unfortunately i didn't make it this year, my bike was getting fixed as it fell off it's side stand Crying or Very sad

I am going to try and do the Melbourne Toy Run next weekend,. she hasn't been out much lately, i've been clocking up a few miles on my R1150Gs Adventure..... I think there is something drastically wrong with my logic. I own one of the worlds smallest and lightweight road bikes, and the worlds largest and heaviest dirt bike Shocked

You'll have to post a pic of your YB so we can all enjoy it Very Happy

Cheers

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: