Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Ducati 888 rebuild?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Laughing Thats great advice. I had the rockers and valves checked today in fact.

Over on at least one Ducati forum, despite all that others have said, many people still believe that the newer Desmoquattros are "cured" from flaking rockers or that it is only the 748 bikes that have the problem. I know of several people with ST4s bikes that weren't ridden hard at all, even the newer '03-'04 models, that have had to change a few rockers.

I had actually just assumed that you were aware of this potential issue with that engine, but decided I'd throw it out there as an "FYI". I figured since most DB models have the 2V engines (or early 851 engines), which do not have this rocker concern, it probably is not a topic that gets discussed over on this forum. Wink

BTW, I love the 851/888 bikes and will probably buy one in the future. A friend of mine stuffed a Testastretta engtine from an S4R Monster into his '92 851 within the last two years.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So now for the fun and fiddly bits. Put it all together again... Had the engine coated as per the original in black to contrast the frame.

IMG_0700 by pompstar, on Flickr

IMG_0699 by pompstar, on Flickr
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a good day. Started to put the front end together and the subframe. Much easier to do a full service on the engine with it out! used to that with the sb6. All rockers, belts, oil and filters done. Loving this bit. Especially considering the state of the poor bike at the start.

before:

IMG_0693 by pompstar, on Flickr

IMG_0694 by pompstar, on Flickr

After:

IMG_0705 by pompstar, on Flickr

IMG_0704 by pompstar, on Flickr

IMG_0703 by pompstar, on Flickr
oily

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.......
Now..about that bodywork Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad thats exactly the words I used to the painter this morning. Wont be ready for another few weeks. Worth waiting for I hope. He had to do a lot of prep to the carbon and being ex race it had a few fillers here and there.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to ask about your engine prep and coating. Difficulyt to see from the pictures but did you blank off all openings etc and get it stripped and resprayed, covering seals, bolt heads etc also with paint, or has it been a laborious strip of all parts etc as I can't see any shiney bolt heads etc?
If total cover of all parts who did this and at what price?
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once out i spent a day cleaning , scrubbing and scraping old paint off. Then plugged and taped everything off and sprayed with heat proof , chip resistant satin black. I considered a complete strip and powder coating but the hand spray is easier to touch up. It is also an ex race bike and I am not after a concourse look... Wink

Last edited by Pompey on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand or type of heat resistant paint did you use, Hlafords or from a motor factor, and did you first spray an etch coat at all?
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords. seems to be fine but who knows til I start it up, get it hot and ride down the road with a cloud of flakes behind me. Question
oily

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downfall to all the high heat engine paints is petrol resistance or lack of Wink
most robust satin black I've come across is B & Q barbecue paint Wink
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit more today before the xmas break... Put the back end together and started to build the front subframe after restoring and painting as normal. getting to be a real fun job.

IMG_0707 by pompstar, on Flickr

IMG_0709 by pompstar, on Flickr

IMG_0711 by pompstar, on Flickr
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
The downfall to all the high heat engine paints is petrol resistance or lack of Wink
most robust satin black I've come across is B & Q barbecue paint Wink

That is a brilliant idea! Next time...
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Going to miss the rest of the build due to work commitment. I'll have to leave all the awkward electrics and finishing to my mate. I am going to have to force him to take pics . At least one with the bodywork on, fingers crossed... Now, where is that db2?
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey desmo, the rockers were way out. The front cylinders were not to bad the rear was horrendous. Caught them just in time. Much easier with the engine out. I figure the garage did not bother ever doing the back set because they are so hard to work on in the frame?
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Hey desmo, the rockers were way out. The front cylinders were not to bad the rear was horrendous. Caught them just in time. Much easier with the engine out. I figure the garage did not bother ever doing the back set because they are so hard to work on in the frame?

That could be the situation. I'm not too sure on the accessibility of the vertical cylinder on the ST4 bikes, but I do know that the vertical exhaust intake and exhaust rockers/shims are nearly inmpossible to get to on my 748. There is also the chance that the valves were never checked since new and they weren't set correctly when new. The first valve check on my 748 at 5600 miles (9000 km) had me changing 13 of 16 shims because they were that far out. A couple of them were more than twice the allowable tolerance.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: