Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Another DB2 rebuild with a lot less pictures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Another DB2 rebuild with a lot less pictures Reply with quote

I found a DB2 for sale in the local paper about 12 or 13 years ago, the seller wanted 8000 Dm (Deutschmarks) for it, even though it was crash damaged: front wheel, frame, fairing, plus he'd left it dismantled in his lock up where he also locked his dogs up; who decided that Bimota seats and fibre glass were really tasty and had munched great chunks out of it. The owner didn't seem to be bothered at all. Anyway for 1 or 2 thou more I could get a DB2 in proper nick, except this was the tricolore, which I hadn't seen before and decided tricolore it had to be. The search was semi-on.

8 years later- unseen (except ebay pics) I bought this from Edinburgh Harley Davidson (probably a trade in). Flight, picked up from airport (thanks again Ian), paid, bike runs on one unless you hammer it, hammer it to the ferry, by which time the 2nd pot is working almost normally. Next morning arrive in Belgium and same story again- after about 15 mins the bikes working properly and I get to ride 600km home in pure bliss.

This is how I got it.
But decided it needs a proper going over anyway, which led to a 2 year rebuild. For which I got a couple of mates to carry it up the stairs to my 1st floor flat where I was living. Mostly it just needed a good clean up and polish, but I also changed as much as possible back to original and touched up some cracks and chips in the paintwork. The paintwork by the way is gorgeous in the sunshine: red with a gold metallic and metallic green.

My bike also had some differences to other tricos that I haven't seen on any other one:
gold anodized peg hangers and rear brake disc holder, which a previous owner has surely done.
Bimota logo on the tank is white, without a pink gradation.
No 'powered by Ducati' logo on the fairing. And I'm very sure it hasn't been repainted because everything else about it is typical Bimota.

some of the parts changed or modded:
cut off rear mudguard relaminated with glass fibre.
split hugger replaced with one from Texas.
rear sprocket from Australia.
new front calipers
Bimota mirrors to replace the pattern Kawasaki ones.
replated discs
second hand, but better than mine wiring loom from Japan
original aluminium cans- now changed back to the carbon wrap ones.
new clock case.
all hydraulic lines replaced with Bimota items as previous owner had cut off the clear plastic coating.
second hand front mudguard with clear coat.
carbon clutch and sprocket covers changed back to sandard (anorak alert!)
coloured allen screws changed to stainless ones.
I left the adjustable 916 levers on because they are nicer after all (anorak alert on stand down)
original type fuel pump.
a fresh set of carbs for peace of mind.
and loads of other bits and bobs just because I got them cheap and mine were dirty
finally after one and a half years of searching an original new in box rear light lense from Italy (of course).
And more finally I just managed to fine the 2 black plastic screws that hold the monocoque on between the seat cushions.

definately one of those bikes that looks sexier with it's clothes off

and without bothering to drag it down the stairs again, Sunday morning, window open, plastic bag on the carpet just in case; and yes it's running on one- note slightly confused look.
Turned out to be a short between the pick ups and the ignition boxes, finally!

here's the Tüv (MOT) inspecter getting his chance for a quick spin around the test ground, before it's back to the registery office for a permanent number plate. That's a 6 day short term plate which anyone can buy and stick on anything- it includes insurance and tax. Excellent if you want to drive down town in a jumbo jet.

and take it for it's first spin up to local biker meeting point on the nearby Feldberg mountain (800 meters- sort of mountain).

last August, just checking the ignition again before John, Howard and Andrew turn up.

all back together again, only to have the clutch slave cylinder let go on the way back from Schotten, CNC part now fitted.

a couple more pics from the weekend with the yard full of toys and their riders, lovely.

You don't suppose I've got something about red white and green do you?

I hope that's not all too boring, but it sounds like you people like to read about this sort of stuff as much as I do.

chapter 2: 'back to the beginning' on the YB group.

all the best
Ian
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Ian......
love the fact you built it in your flat Laughing

I'm really liking the db frame but how to get a proper 4 cylinder engine into it? Laughing
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
Nice one Ian......
love the fact you built it in your flat Laughing

I'm really liking the db frame but how to get a proper 4 cylinder engine into it? Laughing

scissor jack probably or maybe a hydraulic ram between the engine mountings, just have to be persistant.

I've been chatting with Philfingers because I just bought a headlamp off him, he's all up for a beer meeting next time I'm in the UK and thought you might be on it to. My parents live in Bromsgrove, but it'll be spring before we're over- too much to do (see the YB4 story) and I'm risking that winter weather you get over there.
all the best
Ian
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I'd be up for it Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sunday morning, window open, plastic bag on the carpet just in case; and yes it's running on one

I bet your neighbours loved you, first floor flat and DB2 on one cylinder , Fantastic.

I am not one for putting bikes in house's , but must admit I could go for the stripped down DB2 look in my office, that looks great.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job mate. Your DB2 looks fantastic. I too, like that you did it in your upstairs flat! Great write up and pics.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing forgot to mention ... those stools from ikea are great Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum Crankcase, always great to have another DB2 owner/fan on the Forum
Quite like to see your fanatical appraoch to putting back to factory standard.
You say that you had the discs replated? Do you mean the centre rotors re-anodised or have you had the cast iron discs recoated???

Was your rear light unit bought from a dealer or private? Would love to get a spare unit but have never seen one for sale, the square box is quite norm but the twin faux circular backing plate to give a look of twin bulb unit is the bit that makes the difference. Have heard its a Cagiva Freccia/Dart unit, but can't find one.

I'm very surprised that you found the plastic allen headed "bolts" that go between the seat base and back stop. I still have mine but they were starting to get "rounded" in the allen sockets, with fear of having to cut them off so I replaced with SS dome headed bolts, large bolts and a rare pitch also, but happy with the change, makes them easy to remove without fear.
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi hi
I do like to have things original, if possible. But only if it was good in the first place like the DB2. does not apply to my Deauville- no point to change anything on that.

I got the rotors redone, 'zinc cromate' or something it's called- 'ceepeedee' on 'bay offered it, but I haven't seen the offer again? just means the non braking surfaces get their original finish back, they looked very smart until you first hit the brakes. Maybe it's something that any platers can do.

The rear light came from Italy on ebay- there was one on recently but it had a crack. reflector is the normal type - only the lense is different. I still search bay if any Mito or Dart rear lights come up . . .

The bolts were a real find- I'll keep them for 'best' because I can also imagine them get twisted to mush.

here's something I found the other day on the net, a half cowl tricky in Japan, obviously self painted but could have been a factory job.

And it's the first other tricolore I've seen without the pink on the tank logo.
bit more 'anoraking'
all the best
Ian
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought stuff off ceepeedee before although he was shut down by ebay for some reason and has restarted as ceepeedee1 or somesuch.
Will have to check more on Italian ebay for rear light units, they are the sort of thing that get more fragile with age and mine has a tiny heat blemish on one side of the unit from heat from the tailpipes, may just cover with heat reflective tape.
Half fairing bike in Japan looks pukka, other than missing its belly pan that is, but yeh, paint must be home done as they only ever did the half rairing models in standard red and white, note that like yours it has flush indicators instead of stalks, the half fairing babies also didn't have the cut outs and mesh infills on the flanks, well why would they need them? Would like a bikini set for the SUmmer just to make a change, and make oil top-ups/change a lot easier also
crankcase

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Would love to get a spare unit.

I must be blind

just spotted rear lights on stock at Armins

http://bimota-teile.de/Bimota/index.htm

#41 3 210 000 389 Rücklicht komplett 39,00 €
Complete, 3 on stock and a brilliant price- give them a call/email.

christmas after all !
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:

I've thought it would be cool to have a half-fairing for my DB2, just to have the choice between full- and half-fairing. I like the way the tri-color looks as a half-fairing. I'd probably do something like that to match the ill-repainted tri-color on mine.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: