Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

My Bimotas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good place to store your screwdrivers and tools when you're working Wink
laminator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:
I thought it looked like a valve stem seal. But I couldn't figure it out!
How does one of those get down there?
only if the guide disappeared into thin air- but then the valve would be all wobbly.
Did somebody put it together upside down?
very wierd, I'm fascinated.
and you're staying very cool about it Andy. well done

Actually I just remembered- I found one of those little yellow numbered tags-for plug leads or something- in one of the YB4s inlet ports!! I very much hope there is nothing else in there.

I still don't know how it got there, or what's gone on. As for 'fascinated' I can think of a few other words to describe it Laughing

A strip down and rebuild, by myself, will give me a bit more confidence in the engine. I plan on giving it a good clean and refresh while I'm at it, which is something I wanted to do anyway, so this has just given me a push to tackle it. I've still got the YB9 and FZR400RSP to take out when I want, so at least I'm not without a bike.
laminator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have much time after work tonight but I did manage to make a start on the engine.

A bit of evidence the engine has been out and worked on. The inlet tubes have been numbered with a marker pen. The engine number is a Bimota number so I know at least the block is original, if not everything else (I've no reason to believe it's not original)

Inlet tubes removed. I'm putting the bolts and fastenings from the various parts in bags individually, labelling where they came from.

#Rocker# Cam cover removed. The cams look good, etc (edited to correct my age related error)

Plugs out and generator cover removed. More evidence that someone has been here before, by the look of the new gasket and white paint on timing mark.

I then turned the engine until the timing marks lined up and the engine is at TBC.

Another shot of the rogue seal! (looking down the inlet port of #2) Still no idea how it got there. I'm glad I found it when I did. Imagine what would of happened if the clip had worked its way off the valve and a) got trapped between the valve and head or b)got into the barrel Shocked The end of the clip is just visible sitting on the valve at the bottom of the inlet. It appears to be off the recess in the valve seal.

That's it for today. Tune in soon for the next installment Laughing

Last edited by laminator on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work lammie, and in keeping us posted with developments also, as traffic seems a bit slow, I tried with my DB4 resto, but it was all over in a day, darn delivery took longer Rolling Eyes

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its jinxed, you should sell it as soon as you can, as soon as its fixed, pm me any time Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laminator wrote:
Rocker cover removed.

Technically it's a cam cover of course - best to renew the gasket if it looks at all perished on the semi circular bits.

But yeah ... WTF is that doing there !!!

Oh well ... you going to flow the head then ????
laminator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Keep up the good work lammie, and in keeping us posted with developments also, as traffic seems a bit slow, I tried with my DB4 resto, but it was all over in a day, darn delivery took longer Rolling Eyes

I liked the suspense of your new arrival. Razz

I take photos of all the work to the bikes as a log. It's something I've done since my first digital camera while working on cars and bikes. I just don't get round to posting them all. I've started now so I suppose I should continue with posting the photos of the YB7.

Pompey wrote:
I think its jinxed, you should sell it as soon as you can, as soon as its fixed, pm me any time

But...I've grown an attachment to it in the short time I've ridden it and it likes being with the other YB's Laughing

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Technically it's a cam cover of course - best to renew the gasket if it looks at all perished on the semi circular bits.

But yeah ... WTF is that doing there !!!

Oh well ... you going to flow the head then ????

Oh you bad man planting thoughts like that.... Twisted Evil

I might do a few 'improvements' to aid gas flow but I don't want to change cams,etc as I'd like to keep it with original parts. I've been looking at full gasket sets, seals, etc online. They'll all get replaced along with anything else that needs renewing.

Showing my age regarding the cam cover. I have recently been working on a friends '68 mini cooper though, that's got a rocker cover.
laminator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugs are out, engine on TDC, and cam chain tensioner removed ready to remove the cams.

Cam chain cover and guide removed.

Loosened all the bolts by 1/2 a turn, working around in a criss cross pattern. Then removed the bolts completely and wired the cam chain. Inlet cam removed.

Both cams out.

That's it for tonight. Next the head will be coming off.
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need longer nights Wink
laminator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
you need longer nights Wink

Laughing Actually made me laugh out loud sat here on my own.

I've been doing a bit of overtime, then working on the bike before I leave. I had two visitors tonight that involved putting the kettle on and looking at the bits for a while. Smile

As you've noticed I'm in no rush Very Happy I've got to order the gaskets, etc still, but I'm holding off until I figure out if there's anything else I need while ordering. I've got two new torque wrenches on the way at present, and an adapter tube for my compression tester.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laminator wrote:
I've got to order the gaskets, etc still, but I'm holding off until I figure out if there's anything else I need while ordering. .

Doesn't really matter, they'll always be more thing just to throw you, and then the first piece ordered can come last and the last piece ordered first.

At least its not Italian parts, one certain Ducati Dealer (good boys and out of their control) are still holding out that their record of 3 years and 5 months will be broken from ordering to delivery! Those with weak hearts or frail conditions need not apply, lest you wish to be buried with the parts
djt77

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loving the strip down and rebuild process, that does look like a big lump for a wee little 400cc, what sort of power do they usually put out?
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top end with tuning you are looking at mid 70's...
laminator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of time after work tonight. I decided to start and remove the head. Similar to the cams I began with loosening the nuts in a criss cross pattern by 1/2 a turn. Then started to remove the first one.....

Once I'd done them all I removed the first nut.

That's it for tonight, not bad progress really. Pfft to all these one day rebuilds. Confused
laminator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tada, as if by magic...

Placed all the nuts in the correct order on some card.

Finally got the head off.

I've kept the old gasket to match up to the new one to confirm it is the correct replacement.

I started removing the lifters and valve pads (as they are called in the manual) with a magnet. This lifted both out at the same time. Again, placed them in the correct order on some card.

All the lifters removed.

I then turned the head over to have a look. No damage and just needs a clean.

Checked the bore for wear.

The block and pistons, again look OK.

That really is it for tonight. I've got to get a valve compressor tomorrow then I can actually have a good look at what's happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: