Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 MILLE DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE CABLE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barsrider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: DB5 MILLE DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE CABLE Reply with quote

Hello...I have searched all internet but i couldn't find this part...Bimota America or Italy don't answer e-mails...Can some show me the way how can i find it?
barsrider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Unclaimed Reply with quote

Bimota is unclaimed...I'll better go to Rimini and try my last chance...
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a cable that you'd have to get separately from the bike.

You'll probably have more luck with Ducati and running a diagnostic check through the CDI - this is assuming your bike runs a Ducati CDI
zombie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a 4 pin diag interface.

Not at sure about this but there are 2 possibilities.

a) RS232 - logically just 3 pins are needed TX, RX and GND.
If its RS232 TX is usually 12V wrt to frame earth on the Bike side of the interface. If you have the software and an RS232 cable connected to your PC this should not be too difficult to sort out. On the PC End D9=Pin 3 = TX, Pin 2=RX and Pin 5 = GND.

b) USB - only reason I say this is USB is a 4 pin protocol. Not too sure if this type of interface is used at all on bikes. But if it is you have 16 combos to try!

I would say if you have the software you've done the difficult bit everything else is do-able with the right level of patience and some cheap cables if you are prepared to chop them around. !
Your name isn't charlie so you should be able to chop....

Last edited by zombie on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
zombie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok done my surfing... heres where I'm putting my money.....

Its a 4 pin red/black/yellow RS232 diag connector...

Pin 1 is signal Ground. It is also probably connected to chassis Earth. It needs to be connected to PIN 5 of a D9 or Pin 7 of a D25.

Pin 2 is TX to your PC - it needs to be connected to your PC RX which is also Pin 2 of a D9 connector or Pin 3 of a D25.

Pin 3 is RX from your PC - It needs to be connected your PC TX which is also Pin 3 of a D9 Connector or Pin 2 of a D25.

Pin 4 should be connected directly to chassis ground. Check its continuity to verify.
barsrider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: thanks for your answers Reply with quote

Hello Smile,
Thanks for your answers...You are so kind...I have bimota diagnostic software on my laptop and i have tried to produce cable as you told me...Connection is easy,there is 3 pin to connect(rx,tx and ground) but it doesn't work because there is an electronic plate on the original diagnostic cable and something loaded on it for converting rs232 signal to usb signal...We have tried to copy it but we couldn't because it's complicated to find right frequency and need professionel research...I think the only chance is going to Italy...

Dear evil chicken and zombie many thanks again for your attention Smile
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the message and kind comments, please try Bimota. Hopefully they will be able to help if not, have you tried a USB to RS232 converter, they are very low cost on Ebay. They are very easy to obtain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Serial-RS232-USB-Adaptor-Convertor-Cable-Lead-/300595392709?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_LaptopCasesBags&hash=item45fce1b0c5#ht_1180wt_934

The difficult bit is obtaining the cable between the RS232 connector and the red/black/yellow data connector and I am reasonably confident you have the right pinouts for that now. You will need to buy 2 connectors the D9 female and the red/black/yellow 4 pin connectors and wire it up. If you need some help with that let me know I might be able to do something.

Cheers Zombie
barsrider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Converter Reply with quote

Hello Zombie,
I have tried similar product but it doesn't work...Then i tried electronic converter rs232 to usb (http://www.moxa.com/product/uport_1110.htm) i also upload driver for this product,even i have changed pins place and tried all combination by soldering...Eventually i get some signals to bimota diagnostic software on my laptop but it doesn't work properly,for example oil temperature looks minus 47 celcius,atmospheric pressure 23456 mmhg and all data changing nonstop...
As you told me i'll try Bimota but they don't answer mails...I will go to Bimota factory at rimini/Italy...This can be the exact solution Smile

Meanwhile what bike you drive?
Sincerely
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barsrider,

>>> Eventually i get some signals to bimota diagnostic software on my laptop but it doesn't work properly,for example oil temperature looks minus 47 celcius,atmospheric pressure 23456 mmhg and all data changing nonstop...

It sounds like you have succeeded in making the cable correctly if you are getting some comms.

I guess you did you try changing the control panel settings for the serial port?

The values you have would point to wrong RS232 port configuration parameters, if your parity setting is wrong you could possibly get these wrong values or perhaps if you have not enabled the FIFO or your laptop is too slow??. I would suggest you try modifying:

a) FIFO buffer setting either 16 or 0 - i.e. big buffer to catch the data or NO Buffer in case it doesn't like having a buffer
b) parity either none or even - opposite of what it is at the moment!
c) Baud rate...try all of the different settings its not likely to be baud rate but its worth a try...
d) No continuity between your RX and TX pins in your cable, you would see the data you are transmitting giving you a false idea that you have a reply.

e) Or your Moxa cable may not set up correctly?

>> Meanwhile what bike you drive
I have got a few 90s Bimotas and a Benelli.

>> I will go Bimota Factory at Rimini.
Its a great option if you're near!!!
barsrider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello zombie Smile
i have tried moxa and a few more cable....you are right if i get some data this mean it works because when i change the pins places data gets lost...my laptop works perfect with original bimota cable(i get it from another bimota owner as a loan)...we tried to copy it but we couldn't...i think convertor cables which we tried electronic signal frequency is different than the original cable...thats why it doesn't work properly...

i am tired of trying...i quit Smile ...Rimini is so far for me,i am living in Istanbul...It will be long,interesting,touristic trip Smile

A few Bimotas you got? wow! in my country there is only 2 bimota Smile
90's bimotas are nice classics...
i have got also ducati 1098 with racing kit(for track)
and yamaha fazer for tours...

thanks for your help and suggestions...it was nice to chat with you...
i wish you have a nice trips with your bikes...

[/b]
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barsrider,
Best of luck with the OE cable! Let us know what you find when you get to Rimini!

Zombie
barsrider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Rimini and I get the diagnostic cable and software at the end...Now bike works perfect...Greetings and thanks for everyone...
djt77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear everything is now good with the bike.

Was the factory very busy when you visited?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: