Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Brembo disc thickness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Brembo disc thickness Reply with quote

Does anyone know the minimum disc thickness on the SB6 rotors? I can't see anything stamped on the carrier except for 5D on one and 5DD on the other.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 4 set's here and no thickness stamped on any Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why but 4.5mm seems to ring a bell. Think thats what was stamped on my 888/916 cast rotors of the same era
oily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because 4.5mm is minimum thickness on a lot of Superbike discs Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New thickness is 5mm for the full floater cast iron jobbies with 4.5mm being the minimum thinkness, which is usually stamped on the lip/outer edge of the disc itself, usually difficult to see, you need good light and look carefully.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the standard rotors and carriers on your bike? Cast iron discs would be thicker and SS are normally thinner, some carriers have it stamped on as below on my Ducati that has fixed SS discs, but note these are 3.6mm minimum

whereas my DB2 doesn't have anything stamped on the carriers

When I bought the above discs, from Rudolf of Bimota-parts.de he assured me that 5mm is the new thinkness, and 4.5mm is the minimum thickness, and I trust him in that regard
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CBar, jsut found the pictures of your Sb6, and you have the marchenesi wheels as opposed to Oscom, and your discs are the triangular and circular carrier type, that would be cast iron and 5mm from new, 4.5mm wear limit. You may still be able to buy from brembo, or search ebay for secon hand ones as they were fitted to many ducatis, but mostly the Sp versions, as the cast iron full floaters were considered an upgrade only fitted to the "superior" models that Ducati sold, such models being 748So, some 851's, some 888's and the 916 also. Always worth having a spare set. Vort 28 has a set and could measure/check for wear indicators, as these discs were fitted as standard to the Bimota YB11's
CBar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
New thickness is 5mm for the full floater cast iron jobbies with 4.5mm being the minimum thinkness, which is usually stamped on the lip/outer edge of the disc itself, usually difficult to see, you need good light and look carefully.

We have a winner. Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was a little worried because new Brembo's are advertised with 5.5mm thickness new.

Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

isn't that sticker on the wrong side of the wheel ???
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the stickers correct !! You ever seen 2bim's ride ????
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Vort says, the Duc spend most her time being backed out of the garage to make way for others. And don't forget that all Italian tanks were fitted with one forward gear and 6 reverse, only discovered a while ago that it was only some 10 days before they decide to change sides. That must have been an interesting time in the trenches, "Fire, about turn, aim Fire" Oops, mentioned the war but I think I got away with it.....
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't keep us all in suspense Cbar. Are your discs below min thickness or are you allright for a few more laps?
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it best not to mention the fact that your girlie tends to ride the Duc, and when she parks it up-side-down the stickers are correct !!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been instructed to forget about that, but I suppose your're outside of that instruction, luckily she's far happier with the Kwack 1100 and its lower seat.
Heres a link to Brembo discs, standard at least for the Db2 was 5mm from new, with the usual 10% allowance for wear taking it down to 4.5mm min thickness
http://brembopads.com/En/Discs/Discs_Catalogue_Search.aspx?SearchBrand=BIMOTA&SearchCC=904&SearchModel=DB2%20SR&SearchYear=93>00
And indeed if you check the Ducati 916SPS discs, they from new are supposed to be 5mm and not 5.5mm.
http://brembopads.com/En/Discs/Discs_Catalogue_Search.aspx?SearchBrand=DUCATI&SearchCC=916&SearchModel=916%20S%20/%20916%20SP&SearchYear=94>96
Not buying new ones from China are you Cbar??? Their steel is so rubbery it may expand to 5.5mm on a sunny day (tee hee)
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
I thought it best not to mention the fact that your girlie tends to ride the Duc, and when she parks it up-side-down the stickers are correct !!

Doesn't matter if the bike's upside down or not the sticker's pointing the wrong way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: