Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Brembo disc thickness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got me going now, i'll have to pull the bike out and check the other side, as yeh stickers are supposed to be specific. I know the wheel is the right way round due to the lugs on the speedo drive side of the hub and the 3 spokes are shaped to "cut" through the air, same as the back wheel. Perhaps a previous owner put new stickers on, but you've awakened my OCD now and have purchased new stickers to amend the directional tri-color, thanx
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup and if you take a loose wheel to a tyre fitter they might not fit it correctly.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't freak me that its fitted backwards, the dealer I got it from did put a new front tyre on and changed the bearings also, so possible, but the spokes are the right way round, and the tyre, well at least the same as the back wheel and that can't be the wrong way round. Put it down to the Italian who put the stickers on, probably had run out of Rh rim directional stickers
CBar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Don't keep us all in suspense Cbar. Are your discs below min thickness or are you allright for a few more laps?

A few more laps... I'm at 4.6mm.

I bought a set of Dymag's that came with an almost new set of rotors. The wavy disc is not my style, so I'll probably sell them off and buy another set of iron rotors.

2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm with you re the wavey discs, go hand in hand with rim tapes in my opinion, cast iron discs are said to provide 30% more friction than stainless steel and thus thats good enough stpping power for me. Cast iron was always the choice of race bikes before ceramic came out, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. Should make a nice combination with your featherweight five spokes, nice mix of old school and new school. Will you be changing your pads? Presume so, and the new brembo road/race pads are susposed to be good, they have red material and red backing plates, but haven't heard any direct opinion as yet.

Update picture please when fitted, cheers
CBar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Will do, whenever I can get to them. They have been waiting on me for a couple of months. I have some machining to do before I can bolt them on. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to have them waiting, than not at all, at least they're not like women, you'd get on well with Vort. he likes to have spare wheels lying around
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
i'm with you re the wavey discs, go hand in hand with rim tapes in my opinion, cast iron discs are said to provide 30% more friction than stainless steel and thus thats good enough stpping power for me. Cast iron was always the choice of race bikes before ceramic came out, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. Should make a nice combination with your featherweight five spokes, nice mix of old school and new school. Will you be changing your pads? Presume so, and the new brembo road/race pads are susposed to be good, they have red material and red backing plates, but haven't heard any direct opinion as yet.

Not quite, modern stainless discs are as powerful as the old iron rich steel discs but they're lighter
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the "lighter" but fail to see how they can be just as "powerful", rather that thats down to the pistons, brake, fluid, lines and master cylinder and how hard you can pull the lever.
Just a personal opinion but there seems far more bite in the cast iron discs on my DB2 then there is say on my Ducati. The Duc has SS discs, the larger dia 4 pot brembo series d'oro. Same master cylinder, braided lines on both and same fresh fluid in both, and same series pads. I know the DB2 is 12 kilos lighter (or would have been until the forks were changed) but the difference in stopping is certainly profound to me.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you'd get on well with Vort

Yeah yeah, had to get the dig in somewhere . I only have ONE set of unfitted wheels at the moment. OK I have 3 sets of USD forks that need fitting and 2 sets of uprated braking systems/disc's, but whats a few upgrades between friends ??

I have to say that MAYBE modern mixed steel rotors have their advantages, (and I should know I've been flogging EBC prolites on ebay for the last 18mths) but there is something about cast iron rotors. The clicking of the bobbins and the wizz sound as you apply the brakes. All help in the Bimota experience. Lets face it, if you want to get from A to B as quick and easily as possible ,you buy a blade !!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not still trying to flog those old EBC discs are you? Early doors you tried to offload a set on me, methinks, thus impartial advise from a salesman?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel discs have moved on since the iron rich brembos otherwise they'd be using them in major race series. When I say power, what I mean is the ability to convert kinetic to heat energy .... and maybe the difference between the DB2 and Duc systems could be the unsprung weight or maybe the larger pistons don't give the same pressure on the disc ...

But I do take the point about them and I have fitted the original discs back to mine rather than keep a new set of Brembo discs (from a Aprilla). Oooooohhh the irony Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'loose' should the floating discs be? Mine are quite loose, is this normal. They don't move radially but they do move side to side. The bushes between the disc and the hub turn quite freely.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
oily

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right Wink
Noisiest discs I've ever come across
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let that rest Einstein, the only thing I found appealing about Physics was Miss Dracuna the teacher, always willing to lean over your desk and flout her cleavage whenever you needed help, sexy hips also, shame that she'd now be in her late 60's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: