Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7 Modifications
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djt77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bimota DB7 "R" vs 1199 Ducati Panigale poll Reply with quote

GeorgeV wrote:
I just bought a 1098R complete motor with 800 miles on it and was thinking about porting the heads, adding Corsa cams, re-calibrating the WALBRO ECU and bolting it in next year to make a DB7 "R" to keep up with the new 1199 Ducati Superbike.

I would like to take a poll. What say you?

YES or NO?

George any idea how much better the 1098R is over the 1198 engine range or is it the same size in reality? seem to recall the 1098R engine is actually 1198cc but might be wrong
990Glen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right that both are the same cc ie 1198, however the R has a bit more of everything.
1198 - 170 bhp, 97 lb-ft
1098R - 180 bhp, 99.1 lb-ft
The corse cam set offers approx 10% boost in BHP, though I have read that it makes the engine a fair bit less user friendly on the street. I had been looking at these myself for my 1098R, but they seem to have disappeared from the Ducati UK accessories lists.
djt77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you again Glen, you got yourself a DB8 yet?
990Glen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not. Hoping to be able to stretch to it around mid 2012.
Have just booked 3 weeks hols near Rimini in June, so hoping to get another factory visit lined up and maybe a couple of test rides before I make a final choice.

Just ordered the missus a new kitchen yesterday, so that has buggered up the funds for an easter purchase. Crying or Very sad
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bimota DB7 "R" vs 1199 Ducati Panigale poll Reply with quote

djt77 wrote:

George any idea how much better the 1098R is over the 1198 engine range or is it the same size in reality? seem to recall the 1098R engine is actually 1198cc but might be wrong

Just in case you aren't aware of it, this is pretty much the dogs web site for bike specs and bike reviews, hardly ever fails in its knowledge, confirms the previous figures also
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_1198%2011.htm
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djt77 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, did you get the engine remapped at all?

Also found few other bits including aluminium tank and link pipe that eliminates the catalytic converter

http://subito.it/accessori-moto/bimota-db7-serbatoio-alluminio-e-preparazioni-firenze-16630869.htm

http://subito.it/accessori-moto/bimota-db7-decatalizzatori-per-scarico-zard-firenze-21077888.htm

Oh just saw this post . Sorry for the late reply but no , there isnt a need to remap at all. Bike runs fine with the shorter ram air stacks.
GeorgeV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that there is a variable length intake stack system for the DB-7/8, but if you look closely at the video - it seems like the actuation is favoring one cylinder and then the second. I do not know if it an electronic or pneumatic actuator for the unit. Does anyone know about this system. It is from the same manufacturer of the group buy for standard intake stacks. I would think that both cylinders should be the same runner length...

Thanks,

George Villar
GeorgeV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1098R engine displaces 1198cc and has a different VACRUAL set of engine cases, different cams, titanium valves, magnesium covers, and a different crankshaft as well as slipper pistons (that need a special break-in procedure using two-stroke oil in the first tank of fuel). It seems similar to a 1198 engine in size and cc's but it's a completely different animal. My 2009 1098R Bayliss LE has the same engine but in 2009 the DTC changed - the spark + fuel was cut for traction control but in 2008 it was ignition only. The problem with 2008 1098R was excess fuel in the motor when coming out of a corner-on the throttle-triggering the DTC-and getting too much fuel.

Best,

George Villar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: