Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Steering head bearing adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ynot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Steering head bearing adjustment Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have just joined up to the forum. I have a YB11. Had it for about 6 months. I'm keen to get some mechanical information if I can, as there are no dealers here in NZ that can help. Specifically I'm trying to find out how to adjust the steering head bearings. The handbook says "tighten the adjuster cup". But the part thats indicated in the manual on my bike looks like a dust cover, and is called a dust cover in the parts manual. Its round, nothing to put a spanner on to. Any help appreciated, cheers.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure exactly but on most bikes you take the steering stem nut off, then the top yoke / tripple clamp. You should then see two nuts for a C-spanner loosen the top one and adjust the lower one.
You can't use a torque wrench on these (not without a special tool anyway) do them up, but remember it's not a big torque. Best to be to soft than to hard, ride it and redo them up again if you have to.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a screw that has to be removed from under a dust cap once you have taken the top yolk off and then theres a brass retaining pin to drift out. If you pm me your email address I could send by email the Bimota Workshop pages tha show you how, better than the handbook, very comprehensive. Would send the entire workshop manual but beyong my email limit sizewise, but fine for 4 or 5 pages
bluedog59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like a YB10 then it will have a small Allen bolt in the side,loosen this,screw the "dust seal" down the stem (it is threaded like a nut) and retighten the the Allen bolt. If you want to do it tighter than hand tight you can screw a longer Allen bolt in place (to long to clamp up) and use this for a LITTLE extra leverage but don't go mad. They don't need doing up super tight anyway,just enough to take out the slack.
( I really must dig my Dieci out from under the bench in the shed!!) Embarassed
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing you haven't said is whether the steering is loose or too tight. If loose try tightening, if the bearings aren't shot that is. BUT, if too tight, the YB11 was known to have a rubber seal on the bottom bearing and headstock that was oversized and when turning the steering it dragged, making it heavy, simple trim with a sharp knife and grease around apparently is the trick
Ynot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, great stuff! In answer to the question, the bearings are loose, not tight. With the front wheel in the air if you grab the bottom of the forks and you can move them back and forward and feel a clunk and see the movement of the fork and wheel. There shouldn't be any movement at all. I detached the steering damper and jacked up the front and checked to see that it turns nice and smooth lock to lock, no rumbles or notchy feeling. The reason I found it in the first place is I've been tidying up the cables. Had a problem with the choke cable getting stuck on the dash clocks, which caused very odd intermittant handing problems, but thats another story... That and I just got an Abba stand which allows me to jack up the front for the first time. I'm assuming its ok to put a jack under the exhausts? As there is no where else to put it that will work. I'm going to have a crack at doing the adjustment tomorrow Smile
bluedog59

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A jack under the pipes is fine but I would put a piece of wood betwwen the jack head and the pipes to spread the load a bit. Also,if you are going to be undoing any major bolts such as spindles,brake bolts,yoke pinch bolts, I would loosen them before you jack it up. Don't want it falling over while you're swinging on a bolt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: