Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R WSBK Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: SB8R WSBK Project Reply with quote

Hello together,
first of all a little Introduction of me: I'm Frank, 42 Jears old and live in Germany near Frankfurt. I'm bilding up bikes since 1998. My last Project was a Race TL1000R, but i was not satisfied in bringing the weight down, so I decided to build up a SB8R because of the lower frameweight.I thought how it would look in my mind in the actual WSBK Championship.

A ordinary 1999 Sb8R was the Base for this Project:

I bought parts from a SB8K 2000. These parts are totaly different from the SB8K 2004-2006 (Gobert and Santa Monica) parts even when they look similar! Only 8 Prototypes of this bike were build before bimota got bust 2001.

The front fairings did't look like i wanted to have it on the Bike so I decided to design a new top Frontend You can see it later...

For a WSBK Replica I needed a Öhlins WSBK Frontfork so I buyed a new one, the most expensive single Part in this Project....

Fortunately the lower clamping diameter (58mm) was the same than the OEM Paioli SB8 Fork, so I was able to do a test mount.

I was lucky to grap a kit Radiator Smile

To fit this fork perfectly I need to fab new Yokes. A friend of mine can do this, but he don't have much time to do it, so until now only the lower yokeclamp is ready. I am realy excited how the complete Yokes look like!

Now to the Frot Fairings:
The top end looked too "rund" because of the TL1000S headlights Bimota used. So I asked a good friend of mine, he is the owner of the company "Carbomoto" http://carbomoto.com . Unfotunately this site exists only in german language. He wanted to help me, but I had to do it on my own, so I spend my complete holidays 2011 in tis company to make it:

This top end is a mixture of SB8K 2000, TL1000R and Triumph Daytona 675 elements. I have negatives from the complete fairings, my positives will be complete in carbon!

The Engine has big bore Pistons with 104mm instead of original 98mm with original Stroke this is 1120 ccm and near the 1200 ccm alowed in the WSBK.

This is what i was able to finish from Sept 2010 till now. I hope to have it ready in spring 2012!

2 month ago I was lucky to buy a package of at least 2 1/2 more Bimota SB8R's. One Racing Bike and enough parts to build up one More plus extra parts partially brand new. some of these Parts I want to sell. If you are interested, look in "parts to sell" in thas board, I will post it now!

Greets, Frank
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is impressive. A man after my own heart. look forward to seeing some more photo's.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very impressive Wink
I was going to start my winter project thread but I think it will be embarrassed next to this project Embarassed
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great Frank... your surname isn't Furt is it?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really impressive !!!
fisch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Together,
First of all thank You for the Positive reactions Very Happy !!!!!
The Project sadly stucks at the moment, I'll have to wait till the Yokes are ready.... Waiting since May for that, but I hope that my friend now has enough time to finish it and I can carry the Bike home from him. The waiting time is worth, it takes really long, but the Result is perfect!

@Pompey my surename is for sure not Furt Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ,but a good joke!

Greets, Frank Twisted Evil
stockcar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice.....
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project Frank..
I note the SB8K battery location, tank style (diff pump tho init) SB8K radiator - the air box is very different - non-shower injectors (sb8K) and not ram-air either (SB8R)..

Would be very interested to see how this develops.

I have quite a lot of SB8K/SB8R bits in case you need anything odd let me know I might have a spare.

Zombie
fisch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zombie,
as i wrote these Parts look like SB8K Parts (Santa Monica and Gobert Repilka). The Fueltank is made of CF and has no angle. This Fueltank fits to a SB8R, but not to a 2004-2006 SB8K! Also the Back There are no Holders for the Fueltank angle! This Version has a ram Air, It sukks the Air right between the upper Radiator under the lower Yoke!

I will build up a SB8R Special with a new Frame, Swingarm, Fairings, Exhaust. All new Carbon Parts Painted with a specisl Carbon Clear Paint, absolut flat and shiney, better than the Original!
Need some small Parts like the Swingarm Axis and the Bolt for the rear damper, if You have it tell me!

Greets, Frank Very Happy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very impressive project Frank.
I will be watching with interest as I have an ordinary 1999 SB8R Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fisch wrote:
Hello Together,
, I'll have to wait till the Yokes are ready.... Waiting since May for that, :

Looking at the one yoke completed I can both understand why you can't wait to see the other, and also understand why it takes time, if your friend can turn out such quality work I imagine he is a very busy man indeed. My DB2 has individually hand crafted yokes to accommodate 51mm forks , but they were made in the days before computerised CNC milling machines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: