Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Production changes in the run of standard DB1 machines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agusta74

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Production changes in the run of standard DB1 machines Reply with quote

I have been studing all the pictures and info I have and I have noticed a few small changes in the DB1 production run.... anyone know of any more?

1. Rear brake caliper going from gold to black.
2. Later bikes have normal clutch and front brake master cylinders not fork mounted.
3. The first production road bike tested in various mags had the word BIMOTA in black between the wind screen and headlight.... not seen it on any others yet.

Other than that did they stay the same?

....and yes I know I have to much time on my hands.... Smile

Regards
Gavin
Steve6br

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Spec changes DB1 Reply with quote

I have been working on reconstructing a DB1 that is missing a frame and started off using factory specs and pictures to create a CAD model of the frame as a start point. I intend to check the design against an original as soon as I can find one! However, checking it against scaled pictures shows something interesting with the front forks

I reckon that Bimota started off manufacture of the DB1 with the M1R forks from the Ducati Paso / 851, but these are too long! Maybe an owner can confirm that the forks protrude into the clutch and brake master cylinders by around 40-50mm? Later on, I reckon the master cylinders were altered to "standard" brembo parts once Bimota sourced shorter fork legs.

I work as a self employed Design Engineer and have a CNC machine. Any interest in re-creating replacement parts for Bimotas? I am currently working on Ducati / DB1 rear cylinder heads, inlet manifolds and, of course, the DB1 frame!
agusta74

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,
Interesting theory. As far as I know the master cylinders sit on top and the forks did not change. I always thought the change to normal master cylinders was Brembo not suppling them anymore, or Bimota not being able to afford a production run of them.... guessing...

I have a DB1 075 here in New Zealand... can I help with anything frame related?? I am happy to meassure things and take photos.

Are you missing anything other than the frame?? I have some spare odds and ends here and the guy that bought my last DB1 got a some spares with it also.

What happened to the frame??

Regards
Gavin
Steve6br

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin, I assumed the fork legs were shortened as my research reckoned that the Paso / 851 length forks protrude through the yokes by nearly 50mm. As I said, it would be great to confirm this! I also assumed that since the master cylinders that mount on the fork tops must be a remote type, the master cylinder is on the bars and the item on top of the forks is just a reservoir with the early bikes. Since it is machined from solid, it smelt very much like it was made by Bimota rather than Brembo? The later bike would use a one piece reservoir / master cylinder that is probably cheaper to produce (all from Brembo standard parts).

I want to track down a bodywork set if possible or even better a set of moulds..... Exhaust is smashed....

I bought a crashed basket case with the frame supposedly missing but to be honest the bike is barely recoverable so much is damaged or missing. I aim to make a frame to restore it if possible plus another "look alike" with 17" wheels and a big bore Ducati motor just for fun. I reckon the later Ducatis have lost their original light weight appeal and that a bike the size of the DB1 should be real fun teamed with a large bore air cooled motor. Also, if I have made most of the parts, I wont mind too much riding it regularly! A lot of people are building TT2 replicas these days but to me the DB1 was a more appealing bike...

I may well take you up on the measurement / pictures offer. It will be easiest if I send you some dimensioned drawings to just check against your frame.

Speak soon,

Steve
Steve6br

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the design image I have produced. The wheels dont line up as the machine in the picture will have weight on the suspension leading to partial compression of the springs. The image is a 3D model overlaid onto a side view of a bike with bodywork removed.

[/img] http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=542724631

[/img] http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=3A077X

Not sure if I got the image upload correct???

Steve
roli57

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy Steve,
I have two of this little toys and one of it is completly divided. Do you know any Information, please ask.
The only risk, my bad language, sorry.

Rolf
agusta74

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, the forks were always the same length as far as I know. The top mounted master cylinders have a large diameter male thread machined onto the bottom that screws into the top of the forks, so the fork can not go into the master cylinders at all.

The DB1 I sold went with some spares the owner will never need... like a battery box, top triple clamp, metal dash base, instruments and a lot of smaller parts. He may in time want to sell some of them. I got some spares with the bike I bought that I could part with also that might help you on your way.

Contact me direct at gavinnz at xtra.co.nz if you are interested.

Regards
Gavin
Steve6br

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin, thanks for the offer of parts, I will drop you a PM.

I will also ask you if you can to measure your fork length just in case the set I have with the bike is from another bike! The set I have are what the design work is based on..... It makes me wonder if the "sag" on the original springs is far higher than I estimated. Also, thanks for the info on the brake / clutch cylinders, I am working from a box of parts and reconstructing things as best I can - info from a complete bike saves me making expensive mistakes!

Steve
agusta74

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best meassurement for you..... fully extented length I guess?
I could do compressed length when on back stand also and length sitting on wheels....
Regards
Gavin
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: rear head Reply with quote

hi Steve
I found this just yesterday: http://www.redfox-grinta.com/?page_id=266
they are machining rear heads out of billet for 1500 euros. If that's what you need.
good luck with the project.
Ian
Rascal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I moved from NZ to Australia earlier this year and have purchased a 86 DB1 # 306, my bike does have the black "bimota" decal above the headlight.Due to the unavailability of the 16" tyres , I have had made from Marvic a set of 17" magnesium rims to fit.
Also i have fitted a set of Keihin FCR41 flatslide carbs, big bore 2 into 1 exhaust, currently trying to get a Ohlins rear shock, any ideas??

From memory Graeme Cole in Gisborne (NZ) was making replica DB1 frames,
m_a_saunders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohlins should be able to build the rear shock for you to DB1 spec. The last time I spoke to the main Ohlins dealer in Switzerland he confirmed that he had the required specs and data sheet to build one. As always it would not be cheap but you typically get what you pay for...
Cheers, Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: