Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

HELP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: HELP Reply with quote

After finally getting this SB6R sorted and ready for MOT, I decide to give it a blast around the block and HORROR, there's the biggest flat spot I've ever come across. After stripping all the bodywork off and breaking into the air box, I find the previous owner has completely disconnected/bypassed the fuel pump. I've only ever had it running on the stand before and it's been sweet as a nut, but when you give it a huge handful on the road, it almost cut's out from fuel starvation I'm guessing so gravity feeding the fuel probably isn't enough. I've pulled the pump out and it's got one inlet, two outlets and a vacuum connection. It's a WELBRO ENGINE MANAGEMENT pump with the numbers FPA-2 0227 stamped on it. I've googled it and got no joy. Anyone know anything about these and why would it have been bypassed and should I just fit an electric pump. I very vaugly recall a problem with the early SB6R's that the carbs overflowed on tick over, could this be the reason. In any case, HELP Shocked Crying or Very sad Confused
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have vague memories of hearing of lots of odd problems with the fueling on the SB6, with the pump being part of the problem. Cannot remember for certain, but think it managed to massively over fuel the carbs at either low revs or high revs.

All the best

Keith
oily

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
I've now pulled the carbs and stripped them. The only problem is, I don't know if anyone has messed with them before, I assume they have as the main jet's are 150 where bimota states thy should be 120. A massive leap in size. The float heights were 11.5, Bimota say they should be 14.7. Slow running screws were set at 1.25 turns out, Bimota state 2 full turns. Needle clips in 4th groove, Bimota state 2nd groove and so on and so forth. I've stuck 120 main jets in and set everything else to factory settings and I'll whack em back on later and see if it'll fire up. If anyone has got a set of carbs for sale, SHOUT up. I need to get this thing up and running so I can get on with other projects. Wink
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he must have had a lot of air pushing through for that set up? Maybe he had an industrial fan on the front and a pair of peddle bins for exhausts! I have a mate who's ex bsb mechanic on suzuki's... I'll see if he recognizes the set up?
oily

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man, Thank's.
Just tried to fire it up on 120 main jets and 14.7 float height. Tries to fire but just don't quite make it. At least it would start and tickover sweet before. Which is wrong, the float height or the main jets????????????
Any one want a SB6R before I torch it?
Any one know who can sort this out in the midlands? Confused Shocked Sad Embarassed
madasfook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the flot hight that low and the jet that bigi m not suprised it had a flat spot , i think you will find that it was just running on the pilot jet , witch is fine on tick over but no go on full chat , im only saying this as i had a bike that would start and run fine but as soon as you gave the throtle a blip it would die , and it turned out to be water in the carb float chamber
madasfook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best bet is to re set it to standard , or get a second hand set of carbs , cant cost that much as it is only crapy old suzuki Very Happy Very Happy
madasfook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a second thought Shocked it may have been set bigger due to a fuel flow problem with the pump or did you think of that
oily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madasfook wrote:
best bet is to re set it to standard , or get a second hand set of carbs , cant cost that much as it is only crapy old suzuki Very Happy Very Happy

Tried setting them to standard, won't even start. Look's like someones been round them drilling out the airways or somthing. Tuners, don't you just love em Laughing
Looks like a day emailing breakers Wink
oily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madasfook wrote:
just had a second thought Shocked it may have been set bigger due to a fuel flow problem with the pump or did you think of that

Yeah, think your right. Think a budding race tunner may have had his hands on it. I'll look for a s/h set of carbs, if that fails, I might break it Shocked
madasfook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a non runner Exclamation cant be worh more than a bag of sand Laughing i might be able to take it off your hands as i did not get that YB8 frame and bits due to to many parts missing , and i have a space inthe workshop as one of the R1s may be going today Very Happy
any way what are you doing up at this time of day i thought it was only me working at this silly hour Rolling Eyes
oily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been up all night working. I'd like to say, On the Bimota, but that would be a lie or I could say, couldent sleep cus I've been worrying about the bimota, that would be a lie too
A bag of sand is less than £4 Shocked
I'd want a little bit more than that Wink
I'm gonna try and get hold of a set of carbs before i do anything else, the carbs I've got are too much of an unknown quantity and buying all new jets and things is gonna knock a hole in a ton, so I might as well blow it on an un-messed with set.
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result, after being quoted nearly £150 for all the jets for the carbs, from Suzuki, I've shopped around the intanetthingi and got them all for £30. What a wonderful thing Laughing
Should be here in the morning and then we'll see if this beast is gonna live or die Wink
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oily, you need to film it running in all its glory and post on youtube so we can all breath a collective sigh of relief! x
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Let's get it running first Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: