Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB6 Radiator ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hondablack1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: YB6 Radiator ? Reply with quote

Hi guys, just joined the forum. I'm doing up an old YB6. Live in Wales , UK.
Previous owner raced but wasn't very good, so I inherited her with numerous wounds and temporary permanent bodges. I am now well on the way to restoring her to something approaching what was her original spec.
Would be happy to swap stories/info with anybody doing similar.

Question I have for anybody who can help please, is - What radiator was fitted to my bike at new. It is YB6 number 167, first registered in the UK 1990. Also what was the origin of the fan?
As far as I can see, although the main mechanical donor for my bike was an FZR1000 , neither the fan nor the rad seems the same as any Yamaha bike of the period, 600, 750 or 1000, although I think the fan just might be a very early 750 item.
Anybody help ?
crankcase

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: YB6 rad Reply with quote

hi
I don't know if you acually need one, I think the rad was a special part but same as the YB4- I've never seen the same on another bike yet. Here's a link to Graf in Germany, no price mentioned, probably not cheap- better to call them because they don't answer emails: http://www.bimota-parts.de/bimota-teilekatalog?category_id=7&page=shop.browse&limit=20&start=120
I'm not sure about the fan, but I've noticed similarities to the Ducati Paso (851) fan.
It's surely possible to get something else to fit though.
If you really get stuck- I have an emergency spare, with a 'not completely broken off' top fixing- just needs a spot of ali welding.
Another good soucre for original parts is here: http://bimota-teile.de/Bimota/index.html
Ersatzteile = spare parts
just click on YB6
but then it's google translate time !
good luck and all the best
Ian
hondablack1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply, appreciated. Luckily I don't need a rad yet. I did suspect it wouldn't be that simple. What I need just now is a fan, which I never had with the bike. I was hoping, if the rad could be identified, that would lead me to the right fan. I am going to try one off an early FZR 750 which looks like it might fit though.
Thanks for the offer of spare, I think you must be right about Bimota making a special, I can't identify anything Yamaha that is close. I suppose it could be a modified Yam.
Best Wishes
Jon
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Jon
I'm pretty sure this is the same as the fan on my YB4
ebay: 300639727711

but you're right, you can probably get anything to fit with a couple of brackets.
all the best
Ian
hondablack1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Thanks for getting back. You are right, it certainly is the one. Originally off an FZR 750, circa '89. Item was fitted to other bikes too.
I bought one off ebay,gwo . The only thing I had to do was cut off the bottom mount and weld it back 180, so that the bolt hole is outside the shroud. I'm sure that would have been what Bimota did.
Fairing nearly ready for paint, should be going for test in the new year.
Thanks again and merry Xmas
Best Wishes
Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: