Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

How many were built?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: How many were built? Reply with quote

I read somewhere that there were 1144 SB6's built. But my SB6 is number 1165. So how many SB6's were actually built? Anybody know?

Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever you read that Brian......... Rolling Eyes

I've read several different figures and your 1144 is possibly one of the highest figures.
Unfortunately, I think these figures are all guesstimates and I base that statement on the fact that I am at this moment re-building SB6 number 1230
Laughing
atomibart

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The SB7 and SB6 frames are numbered in a common series. That would explain some things.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that would explain a lot Wink

As around 200 sb7's were produced that would mean frame numbers up around 1300.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have my Giorgio bible with me, but as Atomibart says, the SB6 and SB7 were all part of the same numbering series, with no rhyme nor reason as to what number went on which model for these 2 bikes.

Check out the Swiss register, that tallies with Giorgios Bible on Bimota,
http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_sb_en.html

Says 1144 SB6's made, highest frame number on there is 1265, and for the Sb7, 200 made, with frame numbers from 190 to 773, both models were made between the same years so one big bucket of frame plates and takes your pick when making.

Numbers thus could go as high as 1344 for either model as regards frame number
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, and you will learn young skywalker...............
when it comes to Bimota, I learnt a long, long time ago, way back in the mists of time that both mr Sarti and all other references are only partly right. There is NO definitive order to anything Bimota and the quicker you stop looking for order in anything Bimota, the happier you will be Wink
May the farce be with you
Confused
brian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears that the fiquure 1144 for the SB6 is correct.

Do you recon the SB6R's were numbered in the same mix up as the 6's & 7's??
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
So it appears that the fiquure 1144 for the SB6 is correct.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that Brian
Not sure the factory knows how many they built Wink

Sb6R's have there own series of frame numbers I think as mine is numbered 455 Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
The problem is, and you will learn young skywalker...............
when it comes to Bimota, I learnt a long, long time ago, way back in the mists of time that both mr Sarti and all other references are only partly right. There is NO definitive order to anything Bimota and the quicker you stop looking for order in anything Bimota, the happier you will be Wink
May the farce be with you
Confused

Oh I'm with you on that one Oily, and I wish I was so young. I concur that its merely a man dipping his hand into a bucket of frame plates, and seeing as they never knew whether they would sell all their bikes, production would have been, as and when orders came in, get the demand, then make the supply. Not so much a Bimota trait, but more of an "Italian" one. My Ducati had Marchesini stickers on the right way on one side and wrong on the other, simply coz blokey sticking them on dipped his hand in the worng bucket. I would say Ducati were worse for numbering. They made superlights limited, and then introduced the Mark 1, actually a Mark 2 in effect then a Mk 3,4,5 and then a Final Edition, and not happy with all that although they were supposed to be limited to a certain number per model, such was the demand they made the limited number then started again from No. 1 on the silver plaques but put 2 asterixes ** after it to denote start of a new numbering scheme. Nice marketing. Limit it, make more, still limited, make more, very Italian
Similar to the MHE900 they released for sale on the internet only on New years Eve 1999 (milleniums Eve) all 2,000 limited edition bikes sold out in 2 hours, so what do they do? Make another 2,000 of course, Theres lots of suckers out there, but all this adds to the mystique and qwirkiness of Italian bikes that you just don't get with Japanese Models (Matching engine/frame numbers/matching crankcase halves, matching parts per model....etc. Give me the bike made by the bloke thats had a Siesta following his Salami slices and Pinot Grigio washdown, then sauntered back to work to add a few random parts onto whatever bike he chooses
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on that note.......................
I find myself pondering how many Bimota's no longer exist for one reason or another.
A particular sb6 listed on the swiss register as a UK bike for instance.
The frame to that bike has been hanging on the wall of my garage for a few years so I know that bike doesn't exist any more. Although, if I continue to collect parts at this rate, it might, one day, exist again Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then of course theres companies in Germany manufacturing and selling the attached as below:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300627904814?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

Absolutely identical to my frame plate, all you need do is letter punch the requisite details in to the plate, and you don't even have to follow a straight line, that way it would be indistinguishable from the original
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
and you don't even have to follow a straight line

Laughing
MARTIN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion was had before. I found same issue when I first joined forum as my Bimbo appeared to be first registerd in 2000 although they stopped being
manufactured some years earlier.

On discussion with a Ducati freak I know ( he gets invites!!! to visit factory every year, see December BIKE magazine) he met some of the old Bimota directors,as he owns a V-Due

He was told when Bimota went bust (due to the V-Due) the factory closed.
When liquidators went in they found numerous bikes (SB6) in some state of build
They then got a team to build what they could from what was left to try and recoup costs of materials lying around. How they were sold, dealers or private or auction, is known by a few

So 1144 was the OFFICIAL amount sold, but they reckon another around 200
were completed and stamped and sold however.

(00) SB6 (95) HD FXDWG STRETCH (01)GSXR1000K1
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this myth has been discussed on here before Marty, remember it well. No definitive answer popped it's head up then and neither will it now.
It's not known how many were built and sold off by the liquidators but if we call it 200, which seems reasonable, then that means frame numbers could be has high 1544 approximately, to within a couple of hundred. Laughing
my guess would be ..................
SB6's built = between 1200 and 1800 +or- 200 Laughing

So, although mr Sarti dishes out his research to the best of his knowledge at the time (1999) some of it has been found to be a little wide of the mark Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Careful Oily, you'll upset Vort as he had convinced me that the Sb6 was less common than the DB2's when you add up the Db2, Sr and FE, and now you make it known they are really common, they may become worthless, sorry worth less, missed the space out Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: