Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB4 restoration
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: YB4 restoration Reply with quote

as the follow on from the DB2 rebuild.
Just 2 weeks after getting the DB2 and slowly finding out all what had to be done, this turned up in ebay in the NEXT TOWN to me- this is going to get exciting, so I wrote him that I would like to come and see it and left him my phone number.

He didn't call back so I didn't bid high enough, then somebody tried to con me ("transfer the money to . . and I will ship the bike to you for free", my reply: "but I only live 3km away!"). And after all that it wasn't sold so the seller did finally call me one Sunday morning asking if I'm still interested and yes, I could even come and see it.

Unfortunately with the DB2 buy and all the usual stuff I didn't have a lot of cash spare, which meant my wonderful girlfriend (now wife for many good reasons, not only because she owns a YB4) decided she'd better buy it!

I did get to push it the 3km home, mostly downhill which meant I could actually ride it a bit too, whilst Brigitte drove the car back with all the parts. Yes parts. Good reason that it was cheap and nobody else wanted it.

Worst part was the butchered wiring loom which a shop did in an attempt to convert the bike to carbs. Luckily for the previous owner and me, they went bust before they could inflict any more damage.

Here's how it looks now.
Restoration imminent, as I've found all the missing parts including a new YB8ei wiring loom (which will do the job).

Looks much worse than it is because I’ve just ground away all the cracks in the paint and fibre glass. After repair, it’s off for an original paint job. I lived in a paint shop for 5 years so I should know my way around that one.
Then I 'only‘ need to sort out the technical side . . . well I’ve already got one bike with Weber injection and I’m already climbing the learning curve with that one. Engine turns over etc. Will get the injectors cleaned as a matter of course and refurbish everything else as I go along. Easy to say, like you do, but I’m setting a deadline for next spring for this one.

I‘ve wondered a few times if Brigitte is the only woman owner of a YB4? I’ve only heard of blokey owners.
Here she is

always moving faster than the speed of light.

And here’s an interesting find at the Schottenring oldtimers GP last August

A German Superbike YB4 being paraded by it’s rider/owner Peter Rubatto, doing wheelies out of every bend on the tight street circuit, brilliant. And it doesn’t look too disimilar to Brigittes bike in mono white.

Wish us luck, we might be needing it
Ian
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man! Great collection... That yb4 does look like very interesting project, might be in the running with another sb6? First one to come up for sale wins! Wink
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the project mate. Can't wait to see the updates and pics. Looks like you've got some very collectable bikes in your garage! 851 Tricolour eh... very nice. Any pics? Pretty please.

Cheers,
Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
crankcase

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: twist my arm Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Good luck with the project mate. Can't wait to see the updates and pics. Looks like you've got some very collectable bikes in your garage! 851 Tricolour eh... very nice. Any pics? Pretty please.

Cheers,
Brian

shouldn't have too many non Bimotas in here, but where would all your Tesis, DB7s and so on be without this happenning first?
and I know Pompey won't mind this because he's got one too- excellent taste. Show us your new blade Pompey.

first owner was the Mercedes Benz racing department, obviously showing renewed interst in desmodromics. It got some nice updates, such as cutaway airbox lid, the modified headers and exhaust cross over, I suppose they did the other updates on the factory sheets too: 0.3mm head skim and port mods as the engine has obviously been apart. I picked up some kit pipes last week for it, for which I'll need a new chip only to find it's got a replacement chip already. It also came with 17" Marchessinis, which I prefer not to use, so I'm sorting out some later Ducati wheels to put on. I've got a pair of brand new 16" tires but it's no sense to use them as there aren't anymore.

A Mercedes employee bought it off the company who used it very little and stored it until I got the chance to buy it. Still only 6100 km on the clock.

The writing says: it's never too late for a happy childhood- too right.

That's what I like to see, plenty of nice gear, other Bimotas courtesy of Andrew, John and Howard.

I'll do a bit more updating for the YB4 with all this interest, thanks for the motivation and support
Ian

Last edited by crankcase on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the kit! My 851 is a world endurance 93 model. It's having a full strip rebuild as I speak. I could do pics? My other 888 is a later sp model but the kit gets the vote in the looks department and it's the first of the line so great asset. I have to say I do fancy a yb now.
crankcase

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Love the kit! My 851 is a world endurance 93 model. It's having a full strip rebuild as I speak. I could do pics? My other 888 is a later sp model but the kit gets the vote in the looks department and it's the first of the line so great asset. I have to say I do fancy a yb now.

Alright Pompey, always game for some 851 pics- could always put them on the other forum I suppose if we're going too much off track. I'm '851 tricolore' over there. If anybody else is interested or doesn't know about it: http://www.ducati851and888.com/index.php is a brilliant petrol head site.

And I still want to see a pic of your new blade- I think early blades are deserving collector status now, must be original and unfiddled with though which will be a rare thing.
husson73

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: YB4 restoration Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:

[img]

I‘ve wondered a few times if Brigitte is the only woman owner of a YB4? I’ve only heard of blokey owners.
Here she is

Ian
don't know about YB 4 but when I sold my YB9 SRI on 2000 the buyer was a women and she bought it for her. Cool
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing The blade is back home with the wife at the moment. Should be back there next week so I'll take a few snaps. All original apart from exhaust and indicators so putting them back to stock as soon as I find my old honda bits. I am trying to collect some bikes that i think will be future classics and going up in price from now on? The 93 blade is one of them and I have just picked up a mint first generation R1 to tuck away. My limit is 2,500 and next on the list will be a mint Gixxer K1. Unless an SB6 or YB 4 comes along then its all out the window anyway!
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: better get started sort of Reply with quote

I spent half the day digging out all the bits that I've got and assessing what I've got to do.
Here's a pic of a modified wiring loom:

I think I've got all the cut off bits, sensors and so on. The wire for the phase sensor on the cam cover has been cut off flush- very neat, but I've got one from a Ducati 851 which should be the same, just need to make sure the clearance to the cam is between 0.8 and 1.3mm with plasticine I suppose. The new YB8ei loom should fit because all of the components are the same and there's the same number of connections to the ECU in the same places.

Can anybody tell me if and how the EXUP valve on a Furano is connected? maybe I have to do something about it. But then again the YB4 loom is one piece incorporating lights, clocks, switches etc. This loom doesn't have anything for that, so I'll have to splice together a bit of Yamaha loom that I've got lying around.

Here's my spread- not everything here, the other front indicator is on the bike and I know I've got some original style footrests somewhere- probably in my DB2 boxes.

It will be great to finally fit on the cool injector gear which I've had lying about for the last 5 years- doesn't time go quickly?
I've managed to accumulate 4 sets of headlights (same as early Aprilia AF1 and Gilera RC600), 7 rear indicators (same as DB1) and some meaningless stuff like an extra rear torque arm. As well as this lot, I also have 2 more sets of front brake calipers, another set of front discs (same as the DB2) and a spare number plate light- you never know.
But also some very nice stuff, the 4 into 1 was bought from the motorcycle company in Holland because the original had been modified (cut in half), spare radiator with all the brackets in good nick, rear light lenses that don't have the clear number plate lense insert and an original style rear reflector- (also same as the DB2).

Another old pic, just after we (alright then Brigitte) bought her, already got the front subframe on which I bought in the local classifieds! unfortunately it only has the headlight fixings, the clock and fairing supports have been cut off, but they are reasonably easy to replicate.

and a front quarter shot how she stands now

The snowy season started here last night, which means it's very cold and my workshop is being rebuilt so I'll just have to see how I get on with this, might have to bring it in the kitchen over Christmas.
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Laughing The blade is back home with the wife at the moment. Should be back there next week so I'll take a few snaps. All original apart from exhaust and indicators so putting them back to stock as soon as I find my old honda bits. I am trying to collect some bikes that i think will be future classics and going up in price from now on? The 93 blade is one of them and I have just picked up a mint first generation R1 to tuck away. My limit is 2,500 and next on the list will be a mint Gixxer K1. Unless an SB6 or YB 4 comes along then its all out the window anyway!

It's an interesting thought- what can you buy now for little money which is going to increase in the future. Blades etc will be sure things because lots of people have had them and might want to indulge in a bit of nostalgia one day. Just like fizzies and LCs now- unfortunately so few left in good condition.
I think the main reason that older Bimotas are reasonable prices is that few people could buy them or even ever really expect to have one, so they didn't remain a dream and rarely come into question as a nostalgia buy.
YB4s are a perfect example- when they do come up for sale, few people are seriously interested and therefore the 'actual' market prices are quite low.

You might even get one like this for under 2 and a half

seriously, I wanted to upload the brochure pic, to keep the 'target' in sight.

I don't think I'd ever get round to buying one without a bit of luck and coincidence. I would definitely snap up an SB2 or KB2 in my price range though. Preferably an SB2 if somebodys got one that they don't need.
who

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:
You might even get one like this for under 2 and a half

That's an interesting way to decorate a FZ750!
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's really not badly done, a bit more attention to detail could fool a few people.
You've done a great job with your FZR, I like the monocoque a lot, it really has race bike taste, very TZeedy as well as Bimota influence.

You're teasing us with the pic though, isn't that the YB4 in the background?
Keep the pics coming
Ian
laminator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: better get started sort of Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:
I spent half the day digging out all the bits that I've got and assessing what I've got to do.
Here's a pic of a modified wiring loom: (snip)

I've got a nearly complete wiring diagram for the YB4 that I created on CAD, if you pm me an email address I'll get it across to you.

Quote:
I think I've got all the cut off bits, sensors and so on. The wire for the phase sensor on the cam cover has been cut off flush- very neat, but I've got one from a Ducati 851 which should be the same, just need to make sure the clearance to the cam is between 0.8 and 1.3mm with plasticine I suppose. The new YB8ei loom should fit because all of the components are the same and there's the same number of connections to the ECU in the same places.

I bought a new sensor for mine (magneti marelli), I'll get the brochure out when I get home and send you the contact info. IIRC they were fitted to old F1 cars.

Quote:
Can anybody tell me if and how the EXUP valve on a Furano is connected? maybe I have to do something about it. But then again the YB4 loom is one piece incorporating lights, clocks, switches etc. This loom doesn't have anything for that, so I'll have to splice together a bit of Yamaha loom that I've got lying around.

There isn't an EXUP valve on my YB4 Smile
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Andy
pm coming in a minute.

I've already found the missing air temp sensor, new in 'bay, looks to be the same as Cosworth Fords and Lancias, costs about 15 or 20 euros.

Trying to sus out where everything on the YB8 loom goes, one wire must be for the exup servo, I suppose I can just leave it disconected- your diagram will surely clarify a lot of things.
I hope to be able to attach the YB8 loom- just for the injection system (which is all there is of it) and cut down an FZ750 loom for the lights, charging, clocks etc.
Looks like that's what Bimota did, as there isn't another loom mentioned in the YB8ei parts book.

thanks a lot
Ian
who

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:
You've done a great job with your FZR, I like the monocoque a lot, it really has race bike taste, very TZeedy as well as Bimota influence.

Thanks Ian...It is a race bike! The tank cover is off a 1988 Yamaha (marlboro)Australia race bike. Tidied up by myself.

It came with a factory kit pre-production frame (Michael Doohan's 1988 2x WSBK oran park winning bike) Which was also Yamaha's first WSBK wins. Another project and a lucky find!

Here it is with it's clothes off:

Directly behind it (shed photo other post? lol) is a TZ250T... Still has the original 1988 slicks fitted. Over to the side is an OW01. Not a Bimota in sight... lol.

In relation to your YB, I'm of the understanding that in the early days Bimota bought the complete bike and then used all of the relevant parts, discarding the left overs. (later a deal was done and only components were purchase) The 88 Fzr (first delta box chassis) is yamaha borrowing conceptually from Bimota.

So on that premise you would expect that engine, loom, rad, fan. instruments, switch gear, and probably some other stuff is Yamaha. The YB4's should have the 1988 FZ750 engine fitted (2mg prefix) which is the Japanese market silver cased FZ750. (the silver cased black motors are substantially different to the gold cased motors)

I've been led to believe the fuel injection ecu is the same as Ducati 851, with a different chip fitted. I was under the belief that the injection circuit is essentially separate to the main wiring loom, but are happy to stand corrected on that one, or any of this...lol.

The FZR750 and the FZ750 radiators are very similar, but not the same. The lower fan mounting point on the FZ750 is central, where the 88 FZR750 are 2x off to the sides. I don't have any Bimota literature, parts or service, but I do have all of Yamaha's, both road and production racers... so if you need pictures of any Yamaha or part numbers just ask!

I also have a very good knowledge of parts interchangeability motor wise. All of the series look pretty much the same from 86- thunderace, but there are many traps... and cheats!

The body work on your YB4 Ian, Looks like it was never painted, or after market? Any idea where it came from?... Can we track down those moulds??? Also the white race-bike pictured... Any more photo's??

Sorry about the long winded post.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: