Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB4 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the spec if you look for them:
BOSCH FUEL INJECTORS FOR SEVERAL VW AUDI MODELS
JETTA PASSAT VENTO BORA FOX LUPO POLO
spec:
200cc/min @3 bar 15.9 ohms high impedance
PART NUMBER: 0280150757

which is spot on the red Weber injectors, no guaranty, but should work exactly the same.
who

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! I'm loving this post... Great wheelie photo as well Smile
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing that after all these years (at least 5) I'm actually doing the things that I've thought about so much ! !

Last night I stripped one of the several Yamaha wiring looms that I've collected, to see what has to be cut off . . .

More on that later, it might just be half as easy as I hoped. I want to get all the electrics operating before I do the big strip down and final build even if the engine doesn't actually run at that point.

Is this anywhere near you, who? ebay: 300660442658
because I wish it was nearer here.
loads of useful spares, or stick a motor in it. YB8 cafe racer?

by the way; I'm doing the 851 on the 851/888 forum if anybody is interested: http://www.ducati851and888.com/showthread.php?t=4686
It's not half as interesting as the YB4 job though.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:

It's not half as interesting as the YB4 job though.

Goes without saying Ian Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few bits and bobs that I found in the 'rediscovered' Bimota box:

crappy pic because I deleted it by mistake, but found a 'link' in the trash !
Too small sprocket, 33T instead of 38 if anybody needs one? 33T is standard for the HB2, but it will also fit HB3, KB1 to 3, SB 1 to 5 and the DB1. the cush drive plate on top of the sprocket is completely wrong- smaller PCD, no idea about that, luckily I've got plates on the bike. As new footrests and a brake pedal- yippee. steering damper, new Yamaha ignition switch, engraved chassis plate- need to find my lightweight pop rivets and very happy- the mounting plate for the ignition boxes and relays- a roughly made aluminium plate with 4 holes in it, but made in Rimini Wink - I really worried that I'd lost that. New 16T front sprocket and original Ducati M1R dust seals- wow! Bought some oil seals on 'bay last night Very Happy

After checking over the Yam loom, I decided that the best thing would be to fit it as best as possible on the bike before I snip anything off. Quite sure that anything to do with the ECU, fuel pump, coils and reserve switch can go because that is all covered by the YB8 loom.
Apart from removing sections, the only other 'big jobs' should be relocating the fuse box to the top right side of the radiator from the rear and maybe maybe extending the ignition switch connector as it's now under the tank.

with help from the YB4 and Ducati manuals plus a Haynes and another 'German' manual for FZ750s and a wiring diagram for South African and Australian FZs (no idea where I found that but might be the correct one for the 2MG base engine of the YB4). I found everybody uses different colours etc for everything. There are even big differences between different Yamaha looms depending on year model.
The Bimota manual doesn't have a wiring diagram, but the Ducati 851 manual has 2! however all colours are different Confused as are the YB8 colours Confused Confused

This is the loom I got with the bike

nice!
funny thing is the rear lights section on the left is not standard Yam- it's exactly what I need for the YB. But everything else is just hashed Yam. So it looks like somebody has started to modify a loom (very badly) or did Bimota use a modified loom but still left the unused connectors on- I can't imagine it.

So for a bit of fun, connect up the YB8 loom first, sounds so easy

ECU connected, ignition boxes and relays on, held in place by tie wraps for the moment.

Had to pull off the throttle bodies to get the injectors and sensors connected

everything is so damm tightly packed, will have to consider the final build sequence to get it all nice.

those 'squirting up' injectors are a particular pain to connect. I hope I won't have any roadside repairs to do in the future . . .

throttle bodies back on,

but I need to replace 4 of the plugs because this loom was made 10 years after the YB4 with some later style AMP connectors. I'll fit Yam connectors for the coils, old style, round 3 pin AMP for the TPS, in case I replace that with an NOS one and I think I'll put a Yam style connector on the crank sensor too. And the fuel pump- 5!

easier job:

new air filter element in.

Fuel pump, hole. Hole, fuel pump.

Need to get the pump back from the 851 before I bolt all this together (the Duke pump conked out last month, so that's got the YB pump at the moment). Plus I need a fuel level sensor . .

I also need to get some other (not Bimota) priorities sorted at the mo' so it'll be a few days before I can get further stuck into the wiring puzzle.
'til then . .

Last edited by crankcase on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
oily

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steady progress is the secret Ian Wink

I've thought, over the past few weeks, what an advantage it would be when working on Bimota wiring, if one was colour blind Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be funny to tell you now that I am colour blind Shocked
luckily I'm not.
Extra sensory perception or some sort of mystic powers would certainly help a bit.
I spent the afternoon comparing ECU, relay and ignition box connections between the Ducati, the YB4, the YB8 loom and Laminators wiring diagram.
Not sure what the conclusion was, apart from I'm just going to carry on as best as I can because they all have different colours but seem to be doing the same thing.

But the suspected EXUP 3 pin connector has a blue wire going in and back out from crank sensor to Ignition box, a violet wire going in and back out from a coil to ignition box, plus an extra white wire coming out- this is quite possibly probably where I have to connect a power line from the handlebar RUN switch; as it goes to the ECU relay- source of power for everything. ha ha HA! Twisted Evil

Are you following this?
so I can ignore the blue and violet, but I need to connect the white to the Yam RUN switch.
it's as simple as that.
obvious really.
don't know why I didn't notice it before.

It's just dawned on me- I can connect the violet wire to the tachometer for the signal, yes yes, that's it. No other connection you see.

I'm on the 2nd glass (3rd now) for good reasons.

bon voyage
over and out

Brigitte did ask me yesterday "what's the YB4 doing in the living room?" she completely understood about Ducati coolant freezing because the screen wash on her car has been frozen for about 3 weeks now.
answer: "that has coolant too"
completely forgetting to mention that her bike has been outside in sub 0 for the last 4 or 5 winters without a care.

anyway
'til the next installment, did I say I have other things to do as well?
Ian
who

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:
because I wish it was nearer here. loads of useful spares, or stick a motor in it. YB8 cafe racer?

Not far away! 1000Km. Not of the era of bikes I normally chase. I had been watching it, and think the money he got for it was good.
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who wrote:
crankcase wrote:
because I wish it was nearer here. loads of useful spares, or stick a motor in it. YB8 cafe racer?

Not far away! 1000Km. Not of the era of bikes I normally chase. I had been watching it, and think the money he got for it was good.

well worth it anyway, for parts or to build up.

have you seen this post?
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1353

split YB8 race style fairing even got somwhere to put your sandwiches.

how's your bikes getting on?
all the best
Ian
who

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! YB4-YB6 I would say. Joining the mould halves through the front there makes a fair deal of sense. The sandwich slot is as per factory racebikes... Interesting!

I've been out riding the FZR1000 race-bike with the one peice tank seat cover. Still no fairings on it, but enjoying being at the track again Smile It's shaping up to be a very competitive bike!

I've ordered bearings, rings etc to build two YB8 race engines both will have the lighter thunderace cranks, one will be 5 speed and the other will have a new old stock OW01 box in it. I have some nos ow01 F1-TT cams on the way in as well. All takes time as you know, I'm in no hurry Smile
who

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, have you any idea who made the throttle bodies for the YB ie's? Are they perhaps Weber or Bosh? I'm wanting to find another set and was wondering if the throttle bodies were perhaps used in vehicles or other bike makes. The spare set I have have no markings on them at all. Perhaps Bimota made them themselves/

Any progress with the beast?
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea.
I just had a look- no markings at all. Therefore I should think it was Bimota themselves, surely Weber would have their casting on it.
They are in 2 pairs to help with your search- do let me know . . .
I can get new ones here for about 2000 euros.
I've seen them on ebay before- I'll try and follow that up-contact the sellers??
Nothing happening at the moment- I hope to push on again next week . .
all the best
Ian
do you think you'll need anything else?
is that a stupid question.

I just had an idea- the throttle bodies from a Yam GTS are near enough fitting, just happened to have a set lying around- need to be bunched together a couple of mil, but they are 4 separate ones- so easy to do. Problems there are the TPS on the end hits the frame and the air filter side of the eventuris is 'mini' so need to be bored or something.
Means- you will be able to get something to fit if you can't find originals, but maybe look around for some other bodies with a bit more potential.
The GTS has the injectors in the inlet stubs, same as the YB4 too, firing down stream, I seem to remember

You could even turn down some 'old' Yam carb bodies and drill in an adaptor for the injectors. Then you'll have all the throttle butterflys and stuff and they'll fit right in. TPS somewhere, hmmmmmmmmmm.

remember also that Bimota raced the YB4 mostly on carbs! power was about the same? but the fi does make more fun

Last edited by crankcase on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
who

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 euros... Let me think about that for a second... that was long enough... um no. lol.

Don't worry about chasing anything for me. I've got the carb setup of a YB11 which will do the job, for the second bike, and a set of throttle bodies spare for the number one builds. I'm sure a set will come up.

You have been very helpful to date and I appreciate it Smile
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your too quick
I just threw a few more ideas in my last post
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a look at DRT- only 1500 euros!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: