Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB4 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
who

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check the GTS TB spacing, as I will need to adapt some stock inlet manifolds otherwise. I can't use anything other than what the bike came out with in the pre-90 class, so 93 GTS TB's are not an option.

I'm surprised they campaigned the YB4 with carbs, though it was only after the F1 TT victory that the FI YB4ie came about?

I'm building two 1000's initially, 41mm FCR's would be a logical choice, but have the downside of being a temperamental all or nothing sort of an affair.

The YB's TB's are only 37mm, but could easily be let out to 39.5mm. The advantage is with a fully programmable ecu such as ignitech, you have the ability to have a number of maps at your disposal, and a switch on the handle bars Smile The other advantage you have with FI is he ability to map out stumbles etc, and fuel in conjunction with a Wideband Commander. I'm hoping for 170--180 rwhp out of these bikes, and I'm currently talking with Bazzaz regarding the integration of traction control. The whole project is just a bit of a science experiment!
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi who
I had a few moments to do a bit of hunting . .
BMW k bikes came out with Bosch inj in 1985, maybe some possibilities there (or do I understand that you can only use the original Bim stuff) when I searched ebay for K throttle bodeis- one of the ads mentioned they were made by Bing which would make a lot of sense.
and I searched Weber and Magnetti throttle bodies, but all the car ones are single bodies- one butterfly for the whole engine- usual stuff for cars.
but at least you've got one set, right?
good luck
Ian
if you need any GTS dimensions let me know
oily

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who....
just gotta say that I think your avatar is hilarious Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taking a bit longer than expected, actually I don't think I've done anything useful . .

continued to collect key rings

finally got a proper plastic YB4 job (bottom right), instead of those flashy leather things. Much more sporty and very eighties.

got a BMW fuel pump for the 851

which needs a sock on it to make it fit the hole.

but it means I can have my pump back please. Be able to get on with something.

Then we arranged for friend Bruno to make some films about the bikes, which would be a lot nicer with a 'complete and painted' YB4, at least in the background. So bike out of the living room

always nice to have a YB4 in the hall

repair all the fibreglass cracks that I ground out 5 years ago

so it will only crack in the places between the repairs next time Shocked

some filler

and a 2 day, spray can festival . . very rough and I only did the right side as it's all got to come off again to be rubbed down properly and prepared. Was missing a spray booth, proper materials and a few stress free days this time around. Anyway good practice.

Actually thinking about making some moulds before the final paint- if anybody is seriously interested in parts- we can talk about that. Who ?

gold goes on first- it's easier to mask for the next colour coat

looks a bit seventies!

then red

then mask that and chuck masses of white on

all over the place

even had time to get my new sign up- dooh ! sorry that's for another forum Embarassed

then a few tape lines and stickers- easy as that

Missing YB4 logos- need to get some cut for the final job.
And I didn't get it exactly right- the gold line at the rear is a little too high and I think the area on the fairing where the big Bimota logo is is too high? good practice though.
Red is a bit dark on this pic- how about this one?

just don't look too closely. but it'll be ok parked at the back.

or even in the yard

eyeing up the competition, 1988 again.

Tardozzi versus Lucchinelli Twisted Evil

here's Bruno Schneider from http://www.metropolisfilm.de/
being brilliant whilst getting temporary hearing damage from the 'kitted' 851.

lights, camera and umbrellas

excellent fun, glad it's over for now.
Off to Spa for the weekend, yeah Very Happy

Last edited by crankcase on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you did in a former life Cranky but you hit the jackpot this time around. Laughing Love it, and very impressive spray job!
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Pompey
you'll see how rough it really is when you get here Wink
unless I've already got it off again- but I'll get back to getting it running again first- bit more important, and with 'some' paint on it, it feels more like the final stretch.
and sorry you're going to miss out on Spa too- I only cottoned on a couple of days ago- nearly missed out, again.
all the best
Ian
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cancel all my previous posts !
it's paint job round 2
had to strip everything off again to sand it properly.
Found a custom sprayer in Frankfurt who still uses solvent based paint and will do it for 1500 euros, which is not bad these days. So long as I prepare it.
Local paint shop will blow on the primer filler for 50 euros- getting good.
Been held up ( a lot ) with boring day time things, and just finished a 3 day/squeezed in between other stuff valve adjustment and belt swop on the DB2, which is now running gorgeous : )
So while the YB4 body bits are at the painters, I'll sort out the wiring loom finally (promise) and get it all running and lovely for the tea party, 2 more YB4s are planned to come over on Friday 16th : )

looks like a 250 GP bike without the fairing and stuff
philfingers

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez, the back disc on that 851 is huge Cranky!
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Phil
I think it's a 260mm
definitely a full floater- very period.
looks bigger because it's a 16 inch wheel
Going to change for a 17 incher with normal 245mm (?) Ducati wheel, along with the front- handling should be nicer, and I'll be able to get tires : )
Ian
who

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just passing and thought i would say hi! Very Happy

1500 to put the paint on... Yikes! I thought what you did with rattle can was splendid.

I was having a conversation regarding the YB Bimbo's with a FZR enthusiast I know. We talked about how we spend a lot of time modifying and making our old road-bikes into racers, while the Bimota is a race bike that they put lights on for the road. The Bimota's are GP 100%.

I'm looking forward to seeing your YB4 finished. Cheers!

oily wrote:
Who....
just gotta say that I think your avatar is hilarious Laughing

High 5 on that one oily...lol. Very Happy
crankcase

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

painting is an expensive game- especially multi coloured jobs.
My local paint shop will only do cars !
but he will do the primer/filler for 50 euros.
My rattle can job was really just a quick make it look for the tea party last year- I can do tape lines- but the paint quality was 'low'
At least I get solvent paint for 1500 euros which is technically illegal in Germany- but the custom paint shop I found is allowed to use it because they only do small surfaces, such as bikes.
Solvent paint is much tougher in my experience- and I don't want to have to redo it again sometime.

and as you can see I've got to weld the missing brackets onto the front subframe.
any day now . . .

There are 2 other YB4 owners coming to the tea party in August- so that is the deadline.
3 others I know can't make it unfortunately- 6 bikes would have been stunning together : )

how's yours going who??
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: gently gently Reply with quote

front subframe repaired

finally somewhere to fix the clocks and support the upper fairing arms : )

and where to get nicely bent tubes and fittings the same size as a Bimota YB4 front subframe?

from a Bellaria front subframe of course- I know it's not exactly correct behaviour, but when needs be . .

and a bit of sanding going on . .
but I keep finding places that need repairing . .

this is never going to crack again.

relaminated rear mudguard area- the bit for the reflector had been 'cut off' : (

and this 'heel' guard/ tab thing has now got a moulding on the back to keep it from flapping about- the one on the left side pushes in- the right side was pushing out !

And got a nice oil filter fitting screw to repair the broken off thread on the original YB4 filter adaptor.

Need to drill and tap a 14 x 1.5mm thread, then reduce the height of the hex a bit- hopefully stronger than original.

and a very wonderful reader of this forum, who is also restoring a YB4- made a nice drawing and took some photos of the fast idle cam lever that I'm missing : )
Best to get it laser cut- wonder how much that is going to cost?
Unless somebody has one that they don't need?

Thanks Michael : )

It looks like I've got lots of 'other stuff' to do for the next 6 weeks though- so I'm losing hope of getting the bits to the painters within next week- we'll see.
And I'm desparately wanting to get started on the DB2 for the Glemseck sprints; already sorted out some nice indicators (spare GB500 bits : ) and some other odds and ends . . at least it's been so hot the last couple of days- the only 'cool' place to be was the barn : )
They reckon we'll have a storm or 2 the next couple of days- so it might mean sheltering in the barn : ))
there you go
Ian
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great work Ian - looking forward to having a ride on that in August. Wink
are you going to the Bikers Classic at Spa this year?
philfingers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work, and i don't mean destroying a Bellaria!
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
great work Ian - looking forward to having a ride on that in August. Wink
are you going to the Bikers Classic at Spa this year?

I'm looking foward to a ride on it myself, but I'll swop it for the Tesi for a few miles : )

Seriously planning Spa- not sure if I have to 'work' !
My friend Sam has a room for 4 people for the weekend which isn't completely full yet- so I expect to be able to spin over and stay at least one night . . .
I've got your number still- but I'll let you know as soon as things get more fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: