Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Winter Maintenance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quackers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Winter Maintenance Reply with quote

First time I've taken the motor out (but then I've only owned it for 6 months!) Shocked.

Valve clearances checked OK - so it'll go straight back in again......once I've worked out how to get the gearbox sprocket off (couldn't shift it with the engine in the frame - I guess it's a trip to a local dealer to butcher as the most likely option, although any bright ideas are v welcome). The bodywork is being resprayed & the seats have just been recovered. Forks will be going in to MHR for a refurb & light rework.

The fuel cap is in need of a bit of TLC. Has anyone had one of these refinished? I'd be interested in what was done & the resulting finish.
oily

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say get the sprocket off, do you mean the sprocket or sprocket nut?
If you mean the nut, then a windy ratchet is what I use, The air gun is the only tool I've found to easily do the job Wink
Quackers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I mean't the sprocket of course. Thanx for the advice. I'll find someone local with an air ratchet & bully the thing off!
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:that engine looks in good Condition... You are probably the closest other bim to me?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arr you'm in Brissol !!!

You can get rechargeabl ratchet guns which might be easier than getting the engine to a garage.
Of course the other way is to take the lock nut off and ride the bike, the sproket nut comes off then ... ask me how I know.

Not sure about the fuel cap you could try a polishers and ask what they could do, I've got a spare one if you need it.
oily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR........throw the engine in your boot along with your filler cap, soot up the M5 for the 70/80 miles to my man cave and by the time you've drunk your tea we'll have ya nut orf and ya cap mirror polished Wink

On a serious note, what's wrong with your filler cap?
A picture would be good Wink
I too have a spare filler cap. For some reason I thought these parts would be rare but how common are they Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You be careful Oily will have your nuts off !!!
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he still has the navy in him. Still , better then half the ships crew in him when he served?
Quackers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh arrr, I be in Brissol.

Oily - I might take you up on the offer of a nut job. I need it - my wife's been missing for a month & the Police have told me to prepare for the worst, so I've just gone & got her clothes back from the charity shop. Ex blue suiter eh? A subhuman or a target?

The fuel cap is scratched 'cos I dropped it.Embarassed

Chick (although I don't want to sound too familiar) - thanks for the advice. I too have done this once before - & thanks to a superb ally welder in a dockyard the resulting damage didn't mean the crankcases were a total loss. Bike off road for 3 months though - & during a summer.

Pompey - Yep, it looks like I'm a short hop down the M4 from you. Am hoping to get the Bim ready so I can start to come along to the monthly(ish - can't do it when it raining now, can we) meet you recently proposed - otherwise I'll be riding something else, maybe a Kwacker.
oily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 years as a target Wink
My brother did 12 years as a bubble head and only once had a run ashore Laughing

always welcome to nip up the m5 (for mechanical services only). Not a lot that can't be achieved in my man cave.

Depending how badly scratched, wet and dry followed by a session on the polishing mops should sort you out Wink
Quackers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oily,

I'll take you up on the offer re sprocket nut removal. I'll pm you to make arrgts. Ex Skimmer, eh? Smile
oily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, took the Queens shilling and had 15 years of paid holidaying Laughing

PM you have Wink
Quackers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oily,

Thanx again 4 your help removing the gearbox sprocket locknut a couple of days ago. Much appreciated.

You mentioned that one of the coolant flow paths on the SB6 your rebuilding was blind since Bimota hadn't drilled out one of the connections (the x-connection between the rearmost chromed coolant pipework & the LH downpipe at the rear of the engine). You thought it was a mistake, & rare. Maybe it's not as rare as you thought since I checked mine today & it is the same - or was, since I've just drilled it out since, as you rightly said, Suzuki would have intended coolant to flow via this route.
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well spotted quackers... we should keep a running score on everyone that checks. But shouldn't it have been done at the suzuki factory before Bimota bought the engines in?
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.....defiantly a Bimota part Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: