Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 Antera Wheels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miriman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: SB6 Antera Wheels Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum and I am piecing together an early model SB6. I have Antera wheels and I hope someone knows the bearing sizes. I have a 20mm axle but the bearings in the rear wheel have a 25mm (I think) bore. I have a parts manual but it is for an early model with Bimota wheels. Any help would be appreciated.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum........
Sorting your bearing problem is probably one of the eaisiest things you'll ever do on a Bimota Laughing
Just buy bearings with diamensions to suit your application from a bearing supplier Wink

I'm assuming you already know that Antera's were never fitted to early SB6's and weigh the same as a very large person leaving a chocolate factory Wink
You would have been better selling the antera's and fit some lite weight wheels Wink
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha
Early SB6's would have had Dymag "Classic CH3" http://www.dymag.com/?q=products
Slightly later would have been the Marchesini 3 spoke like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAVERDA-650-668-750-MARCHESINI-FRONT-REAR-WHEELS-PAIR-/110796037061?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19cbf55bc5 in fact the front should fit your bike the rear looks to narrow.
Really though Bimotas aren't the type of bikes that have to be restored with everything perfect, you can mod your bike the way you want it or the way it just turns out .... and that includes wheels. The front is a ducati fit.

If the bearings are in the wheels then just order the new ones from the code stamped on the old ones.
trev45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound like VDUE rims 20mm axle
They would fit in one of mine Wink come on put light weight rims in it

Trev
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have said, there should be a number stamped on the outer face of the wheel bearings, 4 digits from recollection, then just order from Koyo type or other similar, simple search on ebay would do it. I thought though that the early Sb6's had Oscom 3 spokes (stamped Bimota)?
If you have a cush drive assembly check in there if there are any bearings, the Oscom wheels have 2 bearings hidden in there also.

Welcome to the Forum, and pictures please Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum. As mr chicken points out its all good either way. Lighter wheels are better for quicker handling but then the 6 is no slouch in that department. Oily needs all the help he can get, I would loose more weight if I could be bothered to get in the gym. Its cheaper then wheels. Wink ( I know, rotating mass, blah blah blah) Laughing
miriman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys. When I got the bike there were no wheels on it and I was able to pick up the Anteras not far from here. The rear wheel had bearings for a 28mm axle (my swing arm was set up for a 20mm) and no bearings in the front wheel. With no parts diagram for the Antera wheels, I wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction. I picked up the bearings today and will now have to turn some inner wheel spacers.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your on the way to being sorted........
Can never have too many SB6's on the road Wink
As 2bims say's, pictures are always welcome
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good effort! I think its great when a bike is resurrected. Many riders would walk away from buying a bike with no wheels, especially Bimota's which have a deserved reputation for being high strung. I am on a ducati forum and constantly hear gripes about non standard this and that and " oh its not a real factory item" but they miss the point. Many of us dont buy the bikes to purely invest or spend more hours cleaning and looking at it then actually turning the key and riding. I am happy for the purists and museums wouldn't exist without them, I just wish they had a healthier attitude to those that make sure the bikes are serviced and set up for the real reason they exist...

Anyone for the soap box, I am finished.

This forum is great for the lack of snobbery. All advice is for the right reasons and genuine. Long may it continue.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll take that soap box...............

Everyone to their own but purists have serious issues and should seek proffesional help Wink
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have a go ...

"You can't fit anything except new h*nda bolts other stuff isn't the same quality"
miriman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple pictures. Found the SB6 in a snowbank at a used tractor dealer. Go figure! Took about a year to collect most of the parts. I was lucky and got a nos fairing and tank/seat. I still have a few bits to collect, but there hasn't been many SB6 parts on ebay for the last year. If someone can figure out how to display the pictures, please do.

[img]http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=A10285XA6
[img] http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=242826X702

[/img]
miriman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, not the most intuitive picture system (to me)

CBar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of Dymag Mags w/ 25mm bearings that I am going to adapt to my SB6 at some point. I have been unable to find bearings with the correct ID/OD that will work. I am going to machine some bushings/spacers to fit. I was going to keep the stock SB6 Marchesini's as spares, but I might be persuaded to sell them. Wink

You might be able to find a car bushing that will work. I think these came from a Honda.

Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miriman wrote:
If someone can figure out how to display the pictures, please do.

The first onen doesn't seem to want to work.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: