Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

ho ho NO!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: ho ho NO! Reply with quote

A handlebar clamp on my SB8K fractured for some reason. Think someone walloped it just right going past the bike or sommat

Well I thought it would be an easy fix as I have 4 spare handlebar clamps!!..............

Then I looked more closely and found that they are all spares for the left hand side the broken clamp is on the right hand side.

The clamps are different and can;t be just turned upside down or something...as you can see from the picture below!

zombie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS.. if anyone has a replacement or wishes to purchase/swap one of my four LHS clamps, please drop me a line!!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be an idea to find somebody to copy the clamp if you don't get any responses.
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question walloped it with what, a sledge hammer? Was it on the bike when it broke?
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was parked up, med-high camber street, 90 degrees to camber, back wheel on curb.

Glad bike did not get knocked over and pleased it happened before I started riding Rolling Eyes

Thought that the clamping screws had mysteriously unscrewed, but after tightening the allen screws to no great result, finally realised the clamp was actually broken!!

My theory is it got winged by someone trying to reverse into the car parking space???

It was a very cold day - could even have been contraction.
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad tough luck, sorry to hear it. But as you say it could have been a lot worse. looks like a tear apart rather then compression, maybe at some stage they had been over tighten screws and a stress fracture was just waiting to happen. Will keep an eye out, good luck. It may be easier to get it manufactured although no idea what the costs would be?
GeorgeV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimota Part # 506082050
Parts Catalog for SB8K - Diagram (Tavolo) #22A Santamonica, Item #25 in exploded view.

I will look to see if I have an extra RH bar support. If not, I have given you enough information to try and find it. If all else fails, I can add it to my parts order from Bimota SpA.

Best,

George Villar
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombie wrote:

It was a very cold day - could even have been contraction.

Looking at the picture that would be my guess. overtightened and then contracted with the cold, something had to give Wink

If you go to the trouble of having one made.........
by the time the machine has been set up it will cost not a lot extra to have two or even three made in preparation for the next time Laughing
zombie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well damn good thing I don't live north of the border, or who knows what else would have snapped off in the cold wind Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeV wrote:
Bimota Part # 506082050
Parts Catalog for SB8K - Diagram (Tavolo) #22A Santamonica, Item #25 in exploded view.

I will look to see if I have an extra RH bar support. If not, I have given you enough information to try and find it. If all else fails, I can add it to my parts order from Bimota SpA.

Best,

George Villar

Good man George!!
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRT has 5 pieces on stock, different number to George's parts list though!:

http://bimota-teile.de/Bimota/index.html

79, 5, 505 182 020 Halter Lenkerstummel rechts auch SB8R 99,00 €

(holder, handle bar right, also for SB8R)
zombie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Crankcase, I contacted Rudoph directly along with a couple of other contacts bikergirl and rosmoto who both seem to have loads of spares. Rudoph was the only Bimota one that responded, I am expecting the part in the next couple of days - price was much more than what you quote though Wink. I should have looked through his online catalog more carefully.

Done the transfer and etc part should be arriving soon.

I would also add George has been a total star. He has some good connections with Bimota and has been kind enough to look at the problem where I bought about $3000 of SB8K spares which never arrived! I told George that I would never contemplate buying a spare from Bimota again and it went from there.

Last edited by zombie on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
zombie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if anyone has an SB8K, SB8RS or SB8R and wants a LHS handlebar clamp, just let me know, I have 2 which I am able to part with for a bargain price, plus 1 handlebar!!

Cheers Zomb.
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great news Zombie. Both on parts and giving George credit. Its what these forums are all about Laughing
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got home to find Graf's part has arrived. All fits A1.

That was easier than I thought!

But my karma caught up with me. Noticed I was down to the cloth on my rear tyre last night, so left work early today and got a new tyre fitted at a ride-in-ride-out.

Believe or not, a Nail got stuck in the tyre on the way home and not only punctured the tyre but caused serious damage to the carbon hugger. When I got home and removed the nail, tyre went straight down even making a comically appropriate deflating noise. What a waste of a brand new corsaIII and a nice carbon hugger.

Does anyone rate that green gloop stuff I am sorely tempted to just shove some of that in the tyre?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: