Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB5 Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: YB5 Advice Reply with quote

Gidday lads and lasses

I have a YB6 which I enjoy immensly but have been looking at steel framed Bimotas for some time. Recently missed out on a HB2 here in OZ, and have found a few others overseas, but very expensive.

Anyone have and provide advice on the YB5. It seems like the poor cousins of the early SB/KB/HB series. I have found one quite cheap and may need someone to go lok at it (its in London). There are lots of info on the SB/KB/HB sereis but very little on YB5. Its particularlyl attractive with the extended subframe/dual seat ie I can put some luggage over the seat for touring.

Any help appreciated.
cheers
Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone, anyone at all. I would really like to hear from anyone who has a YB5, or even SB5. Just interested in experiences etc.

cheers
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know 2 YB5 owners who are not on this forum.
can you list up a few questions and I'll pass them on.

personally, I think the FJ engine is bulletproof. The only unusual thing about the 5 is that it's got 18" wheels still- very nice ones but there might be a limit on which tires you can use. There again one of my friends who lives on an island not too far away from yours, uses his 5 a lot for touring, and he has a small choice of other bikes.

maybe you can pm me with your email address as well
all the best
Ian
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very good looking bike the yb5. great engine and not seen that often. Could be worth a punt, careful who you send to look at it Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Crankie may be able to help, but if there is any Bimota info on the Yb you want and you don't have a copy of Giorgio Sartis Bible on Bimota, give me a shout and I'll dig out references etc, production numbers, Blah Blah, always happy to pick up my reference book and have a read and pass on info
Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all contributors.

my questions were pretty general but things like

touring comfort, subframe (ability to hold throwovers)
suspension (replaced/rebuilt ?)
handling (stable/twitchy etc)
any longterm nasties lurking

The 18inchers don't worry me too much. I've got an old Guzzi and the BT45s on that seems to work pretty well.

I'll probably put down a deposit and get a mate to look but if I have an honest Bimota fan (aren't we all) prepared to look in return for a warm beer and a cold pie next time I'm in London (probably May this year) let me know
cheers
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I would have gone for you but I am in Sydney right now about to fly to Aukland... will leave it to the London Firm.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have an Old Motorbike magazine lying around somewhere with a review of the FJ1200 engned Bim, as I seem to recall the reference to that bike recently. If you PM me your email then I can flat bed scan and send the review over to you, together with the partial/impartial extracts from the Book of Bimota.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand fire new FJ1200 back in the day and still maintain it was the most powerful, all round excellent motor I've ever owned Wink
It had stump pulling torque by the bucket loads and we spent many happy days touring Europe, two up with shed loads of camping gear. You may have guessed, I can't fault the engine Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one story:

Hi Ian
Du weißt ja wie das ist, wenn man mehr als 8 Motorräder hat. Man kann sie nicht alle ständig fahren. Und meine YB5 habe ich erworben als ich schon 5 bimotas hatte.Sie kam in vielen Kisten zu mir. Ich habe sie total restauriert und anschließend eine Probefahrt von 200km gemacht. Da kann man nicht so viel aussagen. Außerdem hat meine YB5 ein Bitubo Federbein (ist komfortabler als de carbon) , 17" Oscam Räder wie deine DB2 und moderne Reifen. Auch eine modernere Brembobremsanlage ist bei meiner Ybse angebaut.

shall I translate?

You know how it is with 8 bikes, you can't ride them all- all the time. I got my YB5 in pieces and restored it, then did a test ride for 200km so I can't say a lot, it's got a Bitubo shock which is more comfortable than the original. 17" Oscam wheels like your DB2 and more modern brakes like my YBSE (11)

Sie läuft super spurstabil und der Motor ist wirklich eine Wucht. Der ist ideal für long-distance-voyager.
Ich habe auch schon SB4 und SB5 mit den 16" Rädern gefahren. Das ist nicht so mein Ding. Das ist gewöhnungsbedürftig und wenn man viele Motorräder hat und ständig das Fahrzeug wechselt, dann fehlt die Zeit sich auf die 16 Zöller " einzuschießen".
Die originalen 18" Räder der YB5 (die habe ich ja in der SB3 auch) sind problemlos und angenehm zu fahren. Mit dem Bridgestone BT45 gibt es auch einen guten Reifen für diese Radgröße.

she is really very stable and the engine's understressed- great for long distances. I've ridden SB4s and SB5s with 16" wheels, which I don't like so much, you need to get used to them, but when you ride a lot of different bikes- you don't have time to get used to them again everytime.
The original 18" wheels from the YB5 (I've got them on my SB3) are easy and comfortable to ride on. The BT45s are good tires for 18" wheels.

Zurück zu YB5:
+ Super Motor mit viel Drehmoment
+ 20l Tank
+ läuft wie auf Schienen,
+ sehr gute Intergration des Fahrers ins Motorrad
+ sparsamer Motor

back to the YB5
+great engine with loads of torque
+20 litre tank
+runs like on rails
+well integrated rider/bike
+fuel efficient engine

- trotz guter Sitzposition , altmodische Haltung des Fahrers, zwar versammelt aber doch weit über den langen Tank nach vorne gebeugt.
das könnte bei langen Etappen auf die Handgelenke gehen.(hängt natürlich von der Statur des Fahrers ab)
- geringer Lenkeinschlag (bei meiner DB7 nehme ich es hin, die ist super leicht.) aber
- YB5 ist schwer
- schwer zu rangieren daher unhandlich
- Seitenständer wie bei vielen alten Bimotas zu kurz ( viel Spaß beim Hochwuchten einer beladenen Reisemaschine)

- even with the good riding position, old fashioned feeling because you're stretched out over the long tank, which could be tiring on the wrists on a long trip- depends on the riders size.
- small steering lock, should be better on this bike.
- heavy to manouvre
- side stand is too short, which is heavy to lift up of when the bike is loaded.

Fazit: von den alten Gitterrohrrahmenmodellen ist die YB5 die beste Bimota für Fernreisen. Aber eigentlich sind alle Bimotas für sportl. Fahren entwickelt worden. Als Lastkamel war sie nicht gedacht. Wenn man sie so nutzen will ,muß man natürlich Abstriche machen.

total impression: of the old space frame Bimotas, the YB5 is the best one for long trips. But all Bimotas are basically made for sports riding. The bike was never really planned to be a load carrier, but if you want to use it like that, you have to make your own compromises.

good luck
Ian
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help, hope you dont like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCh79nkWBc

Wink
Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys. Still trying to tee up an inspection. Hopefully in the next few days

cheers
Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YB5 seller has gone silent. Hope it wasn't a scam or that some unscrupulous entity grabbed it following my enquiry here !!! Still hopeful.

PS recent dyno shows my YB6 makes 123bhp at the rear wheel. Not bad for a 25yo !!!
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a shame bud. rest assured none of us have it, we would have been posting pics in about 5 seconds flat once home! Maybe sellers remorse crept in to early for the close? Crying or Very sad
Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha !! Very Happy I think I've found a phone number so I'll be calling him in about an hour your time, should be interesting. But yes. I suspect he's just decided to keep it. I shouldn't have sounded so eager Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: