Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Finding out my bike is Cat C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philfingers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Finding out my bike is Cat C Reply with quote

As the only bike I own which hadn't been HPI'd I decided to check it out!
So my 1994 Ducati Superlight which I've owned since June 16th 2002 turns out to be registered Cat C, but in July 2005, 3 years after I bought it. It's not been subject to an insurance claim whilst in my possesion. When the vehicle was registered some 16-17 years ago they only used the last 6 digits of the VIN. I went back to mycarcheck.com who I did the check with and they said that it looked like it was a mistake as it was a company car that was written off. Basically when my bike was registered it wasn't uncommon then to just use the last 6 digits of the VIN, basically the car that was written off also had those same 6 digits in and that's why my bike is now 'Cat C', somehow the computer tagged mine as it uses wholly the number in the write off's VIN. The guy told me it could apply to 60-70 other vehicles!
Now they offered to open an Insurance Investigation which would cost £20. However he did say that the issue may not be resolved as it's 7 years old and could be buried in archives!
However I've since been told that it may be worth going to trading standards as the records that are kept for my bike is incorrect and hence is devaluing it- could be against the data protection act too possibly i suppose.
So I've written to the Insurance Ombudsman to see if they can help. It's ridiculous, the company I did the check with can't tell me the name of the insurance company responsible as it's against the data protection act!
All quite bizarre and also infuriating!
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
akito-man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats bad! Why should you lose out? Thats like saying , everyone who lives in a 3 bed semi- pays the same tax , not area/region related! Why should you have to pay to rectify their mistake? Bet if you had made a claim, they would have sourced the relevant details to benefit them tho!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding out my bike is Cat C Reply with quote

philfingers wrote:
All quite bizarre and also infuriating!

Does this mean there may be a yellow Superlight going cheap?

Before I bought one of my other bikes, I did the same, HPI check and it came up stolen, but not recovered or paid out on, contacted the owner, and it had been that long ago that he had forgotten. On the day it was stolen a diligent PC Plod saw said bike, a V Expensive bike at the time, parked outside a tower block in Peckham, yes indeedy aka Only fools and Horses. Got in contact with owner and it was recovered by himself. But he had phoned the insurance company beforehand to tell him it had been stolen, but then didn't call back.
Have you tried MID, google Askmid.com i.e. Motor insurance database, as you say they should be able to sort this out. Surely the way to go is for them to check reg plate and provide the assessors report showing they inspected your bike and categorised it as Class C, could only be done if an assessor snook into your house one night, unheard, smashed your bike up, then assessed it, then repaired it all before you came down in the morning. Pretty sure by law they have to keep records for at least 10 years. My incident above was over 12 years ago and they still had records and thus cleared it from their register, cost me nothing, just politeness, which is hard when dealing with Govt bodies
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he found the bike in Peckham on his own? What he meant to say was he reported it stolen to claim insurance, bottled it and made out he found it... anyway, I cant believe they wont sort out your registration Phil, have to fight it all the way old fella Crying or Very sad
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
What he meant to say was he reported it stolen to claim insurance, bottled it and made out he found it... Crying or Very sad

Well there some that may, but back in '96 he paid over 14K for the bike and spent a further 15K modifying it, really was his pride and joy, and he was only 3rd party fire and theft, and certainly hadn't told the insurance company of the modifications, Eh them were the days Eh?
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked 3rd party on a 29k investment Shocked yikes!
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off track I know but reminded me. In 1996 I worked as a salesman in Bridge Motorcycles in Exeter. Its now moved to an industrial estate but used to be in the town center. Early one Saturday morning on a very, very windy day we heard a ducati pull up outside and a 916 sp parked up. The owner came in very proud, we all got a coffee and admired his new pride and joy through the window. Great, until a huge gust of wind lifted the bike upright for a split second, just long enough for the side stand to pop up. It was a slow motion moment when we all had time to look at the owner who looked at us and we all turned back as the wind dropped and so did the bike! There are no words to utter at a time like that, just a deep silence and a collective " I wonder if he's seen the new senna?" Wink Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
philfingers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm awaiting a letter from the insurance ombudsman. if that fails them i'll try MID. I'm not really sure who administers the register, i was told it's HPI, but that isn't the case when I called them

No yellow ducati forsale around here.. . . .. Smile
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite right, its a keeper! I have been on the look out for a good one for a few years now and they are getting very thin on the ground. Wink
philfingers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very few nice ones coming up. my MOT man had a customer with a MkI, i kept badgering him for info on it and MOT guy bought it himself in the end. It's his fault I have the Edwards RSVR too, I was getting the YB mot'd and noticed his Edwards inthe corner of his 'shop, spotted all the trick bits. I knew nothing about Edwards reps before, or even RSVR's really. Which planted the seed for the ebay search. . . . ..
I'd say my SL was 7.5/10, not mint by any means, nice and usable tho. Engine cases need painting really, all flaking off after it lived in a stable in ireland for 2 years. I remember riding it over to the west coast one day and riding past a cement factory, took me two days to clean the bugger afterwards. . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: