Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 Brakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: DB1 Brakes Reply with quote

Hello again,

The DB1 looks a bit better now its been cleaned up a bit but the callipers will need an overhaul. Do the standard two piston Brembo seal kits fit the Gold Series callipers? Or, if not, where can I buy some seals, if possible?

Cheers, Mike J.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmm touchy subject for some folk on the Forum, Brembo decided a while ago that if suppliers wouldn't sign up to an indemnity clause over seals etc that they wouldn't be allowed to sell them. There is a Brembo web site and you can try emailing them, personally I've been waiting 2 years and counting for a response. Some folk have ended up buying new calipers as a result, and some "cynics" may sat this is the reason they don't sell seal kits. KTM though dd sign up and KTm suppliers and on-line, will sell caliper seal and piston kits as they use Brembo gear.
I'd also try Rudolf at Bimota-parts.de as I'm sure he must come across this problem as he deals solely with Brembo stuff.

Foutunately for myself I took no chances and found NOS serie d'oro calipers with pads that were cheaper than seal and piston kits alone. Pictures can help reponses GREATLY, then the knowledge of other folk can come to the fore, not all so fortunate to have a DB1 Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the search facility at the top of the page, type a couple of words and you'll find all related posts, or click on here mate

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1279&highlight=brembo+seals

And here as well, common issue

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=965&highlight=brembo+seals
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: DB1 Brakes Reply with quote

Hello 2bims,

thanks for the info. Motobins were certainly doing Brembo kits until recently, so I'll check the piston sizes and try them. Just to rub it in, it appears the bike is a DB1S! Very Happy (The 'S' on the fairing and 40mm carbs were the giveaway)

Cheers, Mike J.
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had the DB1 Mike?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: DB1 Brakes Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Hello 2bims,

. Just to rub it in, it appears the bike is a DB1S! Very Happy (The 'S' on the fairing and 40mm carbs were the giveaway)

Thank God for that, I would have been well miffed if it was the SR, but now you're going to discover that the R has peeled off aren't you?? Laughing
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Pompey, I've had the bike for about five years but its was pushed up against the back of the garage with the front of the fairing out of view, so I didn't spot it until after I'd checked the carbs. (Funnily enough, 2bims, the rear wheel was like the works racer so who knows!).

The brakes seem to have 32mm pistons, which seems a bit small, but the R80R BMW seems to have the same size pistons, so I'm investigating...

Cheers
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 2bims,

checking the (high) frame number in Georgio Sarti's book comfirms that it's an SR, although it's been fitted with an earlier engine! Very Happy Very Happy It probably explains the rear wheel.

P.P.S. I've just taken out insurance on the cat!
oily

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:

P.P.S. I've just taken out insurance on the cat!

Laughing Laughing
good move
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Brake seals for Brembo calipers Reply with quote

Heres a link for you for seals. The same company have advertised on here for GP500 screens for most Bimotas, including DB1's and some folk have recommended them, lots of goodies on here, click on the link and then you'll see that they not only offer the calipers new at a good price (although you'd have to spray them gold if you wanted originality) they also have seal kits for them too, happy shopping

http://www.road-race-service.de/classic-parts-brembo-caliper-p2f08n-black-left-side-p-2937.html?osCsid=0e45f9c2adc7e68aaef84540e9a8d3ee
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: DB1 Brakes Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims, I'll be investigating!- It's good of you to take the time. I'm stripping the DB down at the moment and it seems to get smaller and smaller-at the moment it looks about the size of a 125. It wouldn't turn over intially, but the fault was the !"£$%^!! kill button. I had the same problem 25 years ago on a Pantah, so will probably fit a replacement Japanese R/H throttle switch assembly. The kill button reads perfectly when tested and then plays up when back in the bike Shocked

Cheers, Mike J.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Worries, I spend time scanning for other bits and was there looking for a DB4 screen to replace the dubble bubble, and if ever I find something on the way for others that I know, I pass it on, so no problem. Had kill switch problems myself, corrosion inside the cabling would be the issue, I bought a replacement kill switch as mine would choose to work, or not, or not when it should, or would when it shouldn't. Only after the replacement arrived after some more miles did the old switch then decide it was fine after all and didn't need replacing. I now never ever touch it, its in the Run Position and there it shall stay, until MOT time
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: DB1 brakes Reply with quote

Hello 2bims,

could you please check the piston sizes on your gold series brakes, when convenient, as mine seem to be 32mm, which I would have thought was smaller than the standard P08s!

Cheers, Mike J.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: DB1 brakes Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Hello 2bims,

could you please check the piston sizes on your gold series brakes, when convenient, as mine seem to be 32mm, which I would have thought was smaller than the standard P08s!

Cheers, Mike J.

Hello Mike, I am presuming that your DB1 has gold series calipers but only single pots, one piston either side, as opposed to 4 pot twin calipers like what the DB2/3/4 have, in which case can't really help there. A great big, dirty or not picture/pictures of the bike would help greatly for anyone that can help. Theres lots on here that are knowledgable of Old stuff Ducati/BMW/Guzzi/ you name it , fans and owners alike and with pictures they can identify what you have with most things I imagine and then help.
Bimsb6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in buckingham mike ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: