Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB4 Restoration, the beginning of a SAGA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: DB4 Restoration, the beginning of a SAGA Reply with quote

Well I had a little time today so have started the restoration process and stripping, checking, replacing, compiling new parts list etc. Been having a nightmare with the weather, Hailstone, rain, shine and then somemore Hailstone

Clothes Off First....

Battery Tender plug connected to battery, after a couple of hours she was showing "Good"

All bolts checked for Torque settings, a couple of rusty ones swopped for NEw SS, Air filter checked and blown out, bike ran with open box and Injector/Carb cleaner squirted through carbs whilst running

Up on stands front and rear, pads checked, pistons checked for sticking, discs checked for trueness, head bearings and swing arm bearings and wheel bearings checked for play,
Time for clothes back on and a quick clean, and fresh air in the tyres

Plenty of action in the forks and rear shock, no leaks and all adjusters working

Had time and steady hands for a non-blurred shot of the clean C&S

Polished up one thing to kill time, exhaust shield, as the battery sits over the top of it

And a few more clean shots

Had to peek inside the fairing to get the engine Number for the MOT and V5, they don't have them in Holland on their V5's only the frame number

Ehhhhh, and thats it! Even the sticky indicator switch just needed the clamp bolt loosening off a bit and she's working fine, Tacho is a bit sticky (electronic) but what the heck it is Italian

Sunday she goes for her first run to Ducati Manchester for them to take to the MOT station on Monday, then back again for new tyres and fitment of Orignal pattern Ducati SPS/Brembo discs, still stainless steel and thicker, heavier YES, but original as when she first came out of the factory

Would do so myself but time for work and more pennies.

Right, Winter project started and completed in one day, Hhmm Winters still here, Just need somethng like a DB1 to complete the collection, anyone on here know of any in the UK that need fettling? Would prefer a DB1S, and as I'm stuck for things to do now, I'm thinking of taking in a stray cat that I've had my eye on for a whiles Laughing Laughing

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:07 am; edited 2 times in total
oily

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, reduce the size of your pictures so I can read your bloody posts Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Antique of a computer are you using? Steam powered Abacus?

Rooting Tooting And Dandy on my widescreen/plasma wall projection Laughing
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, all fits and runs on mine to. Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twas Me Embarassed
Now changed the coal I was using and changed the colour of the abacus beads and the whole world is now rosy again Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, as I hate fiddling wth pictures.

Have my eyes on some 5 spoke Marchesini wheels also, available in white, get shut of the "anchors" can't believe the size of the Hubs, look like the old style Honda VFR In-board disc closed hub assemblies, or my Mums old Sturmey Archer 3 speed Hub, AKA Ralieigh Chopper Anyone old enough?

Last edited by 2bims on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oily and Geekay ... they are ancient.
crankcase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi 2bims/Steve
those might be my wheels from my 851?
ebay? rotegriffe? Pompey is right- they are ancient and will really require stripping, x-ray or crack detection and then recoating with etch primer and then paint to be 100% sure that they are safe.

I put up a post on the 851-888 forum because the wheels can go straight on those bikes- and most of those owners know all about how to handle magnesium. You will have to do a bit of work to get them to fit another bike. I basically hope and expect the wheels to go to somebody who wants period stuff to 'occassionally' ride.

But I'm pretty much sure they are sound for use, just that it's better to check to be on the safe side.
Personally, the last thing that I want to be thinking about when I'm riding is whether my wheels might develope a crack! I'll be happier with later 17" Ducati aluminium wheels on the bike or even the original 16" ers with the new 16" tires that should be available soon from Goldentyre.
Even though the original 16" ers have a magnesium centre piece- it's massively over engineered and with the split rims- the join to the rims is one place where they will certainly not be cracking. And I've never heard anything about these wheels going pop- used on MK1 superlights, Montjuichs etc reliably.

Not trying to put you off of course, just don't want anybody to buy something that is not suitable for their needs.

another thought:
shouldn't this post be under DB ?
have you/or are you getting the belts checked too? another thing that I hate to be thinking about. . .
happy day
Ian
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotegrife, yeh those are the ones, I appreciate your Honesty re the wheels, evidently know that they would need stripping, inspection etc bearings you name it, but was thinking more on the lines of keeping for a potential DB1 if one should ever pop up in the next 20 years or so, handling and looks would be improved with white five spoke 17 inchers

I presume the rear disc you are also selling is OK? cast iron Brembo/Bimbo with 5mm. Like to have a few spares
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:
another thought:
shouldn't this post be under DB ?
have you/or are you getting the belts checked too? another thing that I hate to be thinking about. . .
happy day
Ian

Think you've been living in Germany too Long Crankie, filing in appropriate places is very Germanic. Just tend to drop a note wherever and as you gather threads go off track and come back again etc.

First things first with the DB4 is MOT time so that I can get it registered on UK plates. They've recently changed the Law over here, to stop anyone "residing" in the UK driving around on Foreign plates, so whilst you can get it insured ths only lasts 7 days, during which time you have to have it tested and then apply and pay for Road Tax and the registration document. Its to stop any europeans from outside the UK living working here and driving their cars registered from elsewhere, and thus no speeding fines, no parking fines, no Road Tax to pay Blah-di-Blah. Unfortunately it catches out the innocent also.
Correct with belts, will be checked, although I honestly believe the original owner when he said they were changed last year, valve clerances checked/adjusted etc, and evidently its easy to tell that all fluids were changed also. Even the tyres still had 30 and 32psi in them, tad low, but some in my garage are worse. Of all the bolts on the bike I only found 2 that needed an extra pinch, really can't be faulted, bloke evidently loves his bikes, its only had 2 owners and he had it for just over 4 years only doing 100miles or so last year

You hit on a point with Ebay though, through the Forum it could be a clever idea if we all knew each others ebay log-ons, as then we would have more trust and could contact direct etc,
oily

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Oily and Geekay ... they are ancient fonts of wisdom and general coolness.

Well thank you youngster
Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very clever old fella!
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
Pompey wrote:
Oily and Geekay ... they are ancient fonts of wisdom and general coolness.

Well thank you youngster you are far better then me and I wish I had half the brains and good looks, I bow to your greatness, I humble myself at your feet, I am not worthy to breath the same oxygen in this life or any other.
Laughing

Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very kind of you Oily. You're not so bad yourself. For an old sailor... Wink
oily

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a teensie weensie bit OVER THE TOP
Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: