Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

db4 carbies and airfilter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Fcr's and K&N's are the way to go, and yes do need a modified tank, although only a small mod. Next time I have the tank off I will take a few photo's as I think 2bims may be interested also. Only put it back on a the w/e for 2bims to ride, sod's law hey.

Yeah i'd be interested to have a look at your tank too vort. If i end up buying new carbs i'd prefer to buy fcr's and be done with it.

Do you recon the K&N's would work on the stock mikuni's? I was thinking of just junking that 2 bit airbox all together.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="brian"]
2bims wrote:

Yeah sorry for all the mucking around you had to do Steve. I got 5 and had trouble with my connection while receiving the 6th. I'll try again tomorrow. It will still be in my internet providers cache.

No Worries Brian, I have a cousin who moved over there a couple of years ago and he was a computer nut when he went but was staggered at the systems you had, similar to the UK 10 years ago, but then to put optic fibre large capacity broadband house to house in the UK, May Just be a teansey weansey bit easier in out teeney tiny country than over in Oz, so no worries. Be sure to tell me when Skippy turns up with the DB4 brochure in his pouch and good luck with the carbs, hopefully mine will show up today also, just not worth bothering with, but a challenge in Oz if not so readily available, I understand
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="brian"]
vort28 wrote:

Yeah i'd be interested to have a look at your tank too vort. If i end up buying new carbs i'd prefer to buy fcr's and be done with it.

Having ridden my DB2 with flatslides (Keihin) and K&N's and Vorts Db4 with Keihin Flatslides (although only '39's and not 41's Laughing ) I would defo say that flatslides are the way to go. Don't get me wrong, I like the DB4 even with standard Mikunis, but the flatslides are a whole different deal, kind of like dog meat to best Fillet if you don't mind the comparison, it really transforms the engine and extends it to the potential it deserves. Refurbed FCR39/41's are circa 400GBP, new babies though are 800GBP plus, compare this to 2nd hand Mikunis on ebay 100GBP, yes they are there, or 80GBP from Italy for new. The world is a crazy place.

If you get K&N cone filters, or foam filters on to the Mikunis I would be interested in knowing how they are, its all about the space within the frame, even without the airbox, its pretty tight in there, some folk that have put flatslides in have a baffle plate beneath them to stop heat from the engine rising up and being drawn in via the filters, allowing cooler air in, evidently the air box sort of helps this.

When i get time I'll search the Ducatisti USA site, or ask Desmo Demon, hes a Duc nut, and the mod is the same as for any Ducato 900 monster, 900 supersport etc, all share the same engine and carb configuration. I'm sure he can help you with the carb settings as well, cheeers Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See it did'nt take long for you to tart my manual around ?? Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Part of my "karma" theory, better to give than to receive the Lord shall Whatever....besides you went quiet on me this afternoon and then I found you tarting around on the Forum, you know I only come to work to chat Bimota, and had to actually do some this morning due to the absence, so you're to blame in essence....Gets you back for that accusatory finger pointed at me on Sunday during your "domestic" with 'er indoors Laughing Laughing
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I'm sure he can help you with the carb settings as well, cheeers Laughing

I PMed him a few links to FCR setups with settings. Chris Kelly at California Cycleworks in California, USA sets up enough of them prior to selling them, that he has all the settings memorized for the 900 Duc engines.

For any future reference, here are a few links...

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/parts/FCR_install_supplement.pdf

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/fcr_faq.html

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/inside_fcr.html
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ever Desmo, a Triple Star Rating for your prompt service and assistance, still weighing up myself on FCR'39's for the DB4, and heres me saying it was so "standard" that I was going to keep it that way, new wheels already ordered, and single Termi Bimota can turned up this week, so theres that "resolution" broken already! Laughing
deebee4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keihin FCR's will transform the db4 (and a db2 and a Mantra) to a MUCH more fun bike. On a stock engine use the 39 mm items, but when you do some serious tuning 41 mm are better. So I would opt for the 41 mm because you'll want to tune the bike more anyway as soon as you fitted the FCR's........
But the 40 mm Mikunis TDMR are great too and don't need the other fuel tank. They fit right on the stock throttle cables.

My db4 has 944 Pistal Racing kit, 41mm FCR's, giant conical K&N pod filters, no airbox. Also crankshaft rebalanced and flywhleel lightened, cilinder head work and light clutch. More mods include replacement of the stock Kokusan ignition boxes with the "old" Bosch BTZ units, heavy gauge wiring in the ignition circuit wherever possible and an electric fuel pump instead of the vacuum pump..

This makes the db4 very track orientated (snatchy and nervous on steady throttle) and that's why I only used it on track for the last 5 years. But it's a blast to ride on track, all street equipment is taken off and brakes upgraded.
Currently working on the stripped db4 to get it ready for this years' first outing within a month, so I'll take some pictures of the carb/filter layout asap.[/img]
brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've sorted the air filter. I got some air filter foam from a local bike shop and just cut it to size, oiled it and slapped it in. It is thinner than the original so i used double thickness. I've since found some thicker filter foam on ebay (proud of me Steve? my first ebay purchase) which i'll put in at a later date. I'll change the filter in the sb6 too, it's just starting to disintegrate. I'll stick with the stock airbox for now until i decide what i'm doing with the carbs.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Well i've sorted the air filter. I got some air filter foam from a local bike shop and just cut it to size, oiled it and slapped it in. It is thinner than the original so i used double thickness. I've since found some thicker filter foam on ebay (proud of me Steve? my first ebay purchase) which i'll put in at a later date. I'll change the filter in the sb6 too, it's just starting to disintegrate. I'll stick with the stock airbox for now until i decide what i'm doing with the carbs.

With the Mikuni 40TDMR you can still use the stock airbox, so that's nice. However, it's a known fact that the airbox is too small, the metal shield in front of it doesn't help the breathing either.

Dunno if your MOT will let you to, but I would ditch the airbox completely, fit K&N's, make a simple support for the tank to prevent it sliding forward and you're done. In the stock BSDT Mikunis fit a Dynojet stage 2 jet kit. That's what I did in the beginning. Now I'm way over that stage of tuning with the FCR's and in fact that's the best mod I ever did on the db4.

Photo's will follow soon
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of the FCR layout and special tank. You can use the stock tank but you have to cut some material away from the throttle cable support.
Did that before I got hold of the special tank.

The Bosch BTZ ignition boxes in the tail section:

Last edited by deebee4 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
fish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi fellas here are the mods to my db2ef brook henry 985 kit,balanced.blue printed.roo racing pipes,41 ml flatsides and kn filters. this gives the bike 100 hp at the back wheel and gives me a fat every time i ride it Razz Shocked
DB1-DB2SR-DB2EF-DB3-DB4 Db10 YB6-yb7_yb10-2xyb11-SB5,2xSB6-kb3-yb5-MILLE MIKEHAILWOOD HARRIS MAGMAN2-TRIUMPH T140-RG500x2-KAWA Z900-SUZUKI GSX1100-DUCATI 900SS- 750 sport ducati DUCATI F1 750- 851 tri colour-500sl-1996 Trumph datona . Vee two alchemy
fish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to include it has v2 cams and some mild head work Laughing
DB1-DB2SR-DB2EF-DB3-DB4 Db10 YB6-yb7_yb10-2xyb11-SB5,2xSB6-kb3-yb5-MILLE MIKEHAILWOOD HARRIS MAGMAN2-TRIUMPH T140-RG500x2-KAWA Z900-SUZUKI GSX1100-DUCATI 900SS- 750 sport ducati DUCATI F1 750- 851 tri colour-500sl-1996 Trumph datona . Vee two alchemy
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
hi fellas here are the mods to my db2ef brook henry 985 kit,balanced.blue printed.roo racing pipes,41 ml flatsides and kn filters. this gives the bike 100 hp at the back wheel and gives me a fat every time i ride it Razz Shocked

Nice! Smile
I suppose you have Carillo con rods fitted? Please post some pics.
brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DeeBee,

Thanks for the pics mate. Do you have any photo's of the tank the you modified to fit the flatslides? Can you give me a run down of what you did and how much trouble it was.

Cheers,
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: