Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New to all this...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott from Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: New to all this... Reply with quote

Hello All

Hadn't really heard of Bimota until a riding weekend a couple of weeks ago in Spain where, amongst the latest Ducatis etc, they had a mint DB4 Smile

http://flickr.com/gp/65924803@N07/q88f4U

Bottom line, I got to ride it for a full day around Andalusia (the others didn't like it?) and I fell in love! I think I need to own one now - it just felt perfect (what's a few false neutrals between friends?).

Question - is the DB4 a good model to go for or is there even better out there and where am I best looking for a nice one?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated and applogies for my total ignorance (am trying to read up online).
spyv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi scott and welcome to the forum !

yes,the db4 is a good first step to the bimota world. i haven't ridden it myself,but i've read only good things about her.

there are occasionally some beautiful examples in the ads.

personal advice is that you must give it a try Very Happy !
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott - welcome to the forum.
A DB4 is as good a Bimota as any to start with - seeing as how you have ridden one too.
Steve (2 Bims) should be along shortly to give you the low down on the DB2 and DB4 that he owns - for my sins I own a DB3 Very Happy
One thing for certain - no matter what model, or how many cylinders - Bimota ownership is infectious!
(and if you fancy a really nice, low mileage SB8R, I have one for sale..................) Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott and welcome to the wonderful world of Bimota.

I have a DB4 tricolor like the one you rode.

Mine has the sport kit which consists of the single corse titanium can and flatside carbs. They were produced in 1999 just before Bimota went pop for the first time and so are very hard to find. There is a IE twin seat version that I think got produced in a few more numbers when the company was put back into business but again you are only talking about 3-400. I think the tricolor's were around the late 200's.
Unlike some Bimota's they are quite reasonable to work on, but you have got to remember that the ultimate goal for bimota is Style,weight and function. Service needs do not come into the equation.
I know of only a handful of both DB4's in the UK and have not seen one for sale over here for about 4 yrs. 2bim's has just bought one from Europe, which to be honest would be your best place to look, there are a few out there but around the 8k + euro mark.
If you are serious about it me or 2bims can point you in the right direction.
Look in the DB forum part for info.
Scott from Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for all your advice.

Vort28 - that is a really lovely looking bike!
I am serious about a purchase but am in the process of disposing of my (never rode) Harley to top up my funds.

There's an ie model in red for sale on EBay for £8K but I really do like the tricolour I rode. Couldn't believe it only had 80bhp, it felt so much more and easily kept up with the Diavel in the twisty stuff. My R6 feels really insepid in comparison.

I'm sure my really local Ducati dealer will be able to deal with servicing etc.

I've seen a really nice tricolour for sale but it's in Georgia (USA). Are the shipping costs from there to the UK horrific? I bet they are.
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley to a Bimota, that has got to be a first, although I am still struggling to come to terms with the fact you had never heard of our secret brand before.

Are you sure the tricolor was standard 900ss . I guess it probably was as it still has the standard 10kg exhaust can.
I would suggest if you thought the one you rode was good, you need to go on one with flatside carbs. They will blow your mind. 2bims will back me up on that as he rode mine at last weekend and could not believe the difference. However they are not cheap, and you need a slightly modified tank to fit them. So if you can get one with the sport kit, carbs/tank/exhaust, fitted it would be worth it . It was about a 3k option.

Shipping from the States would be about £600 at a guess. The problem is the import duty and VAT. However with enough planning and investigation I'm sure there are ways around that.
brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott. Welcome to the forum. I have an sb6 and a db4 tricolour. They are worlds apart but at the same time very similar and i like them both very much. As you'll find out from reading lots of tech posts on here, you need to be a little mechanically minded to fully appretiate bimota ownership. Some things on these bikes really make you scratch your head and ask why did they do that? But as vort said... it is adictive!

Plenty of great advise here, vort and 2bims are the db4 gurus. Good luck with your search mate.

Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Scott from Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Harley to a Bimota, that has got to be a first,

Aren't they both twins though.... Wink

I kind of "acquired it" as part of another deal - wouldn't get another. If I wanted a cruiser/roundaround and had a spare £10K I'd take the Diavel every time.

But I think a Bimota would really suit the roads up here - I can be Loch Lomond side in twenty minutes. Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can be Loch Lomond side in twenty minutes.

You are just trying to make us jealous now.

The DB would be well suited to that , it is not one for motorways etc, but get it in the country and it excels.
Last year in Wales I hunted down/passed and left an R1 and his mate on a blade. Yeah , on a straight they would hit warp factor 9 , and leave me for dead, but only take a few corners to make the distance back up. World super bike winners they are not, but real world bikes with lots of grin factor they are.
The torque, light weight and small dimensions take alot of beating.

Most of the running gear is not to hard to find but bimota specific stuff, fairings , frame etc is almost impossible.
Like any Ducati engine you can extract more power, but if you think you may want engine mods it is probably cheaper to buy one with the mods done .
akito-man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi scot! Im col from fife, if you want to view an sb8r in da flesh ive got one- geekays got a nice one for sale, quite easy for home mechanics , just sourcing parts takes some asking and sometimes waiting! All the best with your change!
Scott from Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Col
Don't know why they'd be jealous - maybe I forgot to mention the rain...
Thanks for the offer - just realising the SB8R is twin too but kind of fell for the DB4. Need to read more....
philfingers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 900 Superlight Ducati, which is the same engine in a poor (ducati) man's frame!
I can't comment on the Db series but the engines are good,, very driveable. Only 80 odd BHP they're very useable out on the open road, lots of midrange. Releiability isn't bad. Not up there with jap standards but the Duke I have hasn't given me any issues in 10 years i've owned it. Good luck with the search and welcome BTW!

Phil
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
oily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philfingers wrote:
Releiability isn't bad. Not up there with jap standards

Phil

wow, a honest doochati owner, I'm touched Phil. You've restored my faith in V twin owners Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Bimsb6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scott from Scotland"]
vort28 wrote:
Harley to a Bimota, that has got to be a first,

No i beat him to it by 14 years ,and i still have both !
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotland From Scott, 2Bims here, been away for the weekend, hence not hit upon the "calling for a tricolor Db4"

As regards looking I'll pm you a few links or if you pm me I'll give you a phone number as its easy to chat when it comes to Bimota Ownership. I'm "lucky" enough to have a Db2 that is heavily modded and a bog standard Db4 tricolor that has been in my possession for just a few weeks really, that I imported from the Netherlands, which, thanks to others on this Forum, was easey peasey, registering etc. Search for posts by "2Bims" and theres a resoration of my Db2 on there and the buying and importing process I went through for the DB4. Both were leaps of faith in purchasing in that one hadn't moved for 8 years when I bought it and the other one I had only seen in photos before I imported it (Double Gulp). But the wealth of knowledge of the wondrous fellows on this Forum never ceases to amaze me, with help in finding parts, sources for parts, NewOldStock, parts bins of same parts (like DB4 rear light is same as Yamaha Aerox QR50 and some BMW motorbikes also). Really any knowledge you would need is on here. The hardest part you would find is acquiring the bike in the first place. I would always choose Europe than USA, simply because you could pop over to view easier and Max costs for a man in a van to collect and deliver would be 350GBP. Oh and don't forget, NO IMPORT Taxes whatsoever for anything from within the EU, a lot different from USA. Euro exchange rate is also better and prices I think better than in USA.
I'd agree with Vort, flatslides and Corse kit over standard 38mm mikunis, and single seat carbed version over fuel injected twin seat version like the one at NLM.
Vort is also right, not seen one for sale (tricolor) in UK for 3 years myself, but newer at Bim ownership than most, hence when I saw one in the Netherlands at the right price I jumped on a plane the next day.
Couple of pictures to end with, DB4 upon first arrival, end of Feb, and the DB2 on a sunday day out in the Dordogne Region.. Laughing

LAST word of warning, DB/SB/YB/Whatever Bim, they are addictive, you'll find yourself scouring obscure websites late at night, translating from Italian/German into English, hyping your Ebay account to the max and collecting spares (just in case)
If your Friendly local Ducati dealer gets on with you, then no worries, I'm always popping into mine, and getting them to throw the parts fiche on the screen so I can find out what older Ducati bikes have the same parts in order to help my search for bits.
Love Loch Lomond and Scotland, spent 4 years living in Arden House on the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond, just off the A82, at the turn for Helensburgh, I was gutted on a recent trip to find the Duck Bay Marina is no longer a night club, what a waste, used to love popping down there every weekend to chance upon the Hen Parties. Then I spent a year in Merchant City above Marks and Spencers, handy for microwave meals for one and nights out Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: