Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Twin disc conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Twin disc conversion Reply with quote

Because I'm the size of your average hippo, I've needed to add the other disc to the Supermono.

Rather than selling a kidney and getting the original Bimota kit, I headed for Ebay.

£100 later I now have the parts required.

The disk (320mm brembo) on the supermono is also the same used on early Ducati 916 and 748 bikes and if you Ebay these you'll find prices well over 50 squids a pop. So instead, search for Cagiva Mito disks which are the same without the premium. These start from about £15 and go up depending on the condition you are looking for. Its easy to find an exact match for the condition yours is in.

Next, brake lines. I looked at various options for this as I didn't fancy two lines from the master cylinder. I could have had a custom made braided hose made with two 90 degree banjos to link over the mudguard but ended up with an Aprilia Mille set which splits half way down.

The caliper you need is the Brembo "goldline" and finding just the left hand side one may be a challenge so you may have to find a pair and splite them selling on the spare right hand one. Or use the pair and sell the one on your bike if the condition isn't as good.

All parts have now been delivered and will be fitted this weekend.

The only problem I foresee is extra lever travel from having 8 pistons instead of 4 but as the standard lever travel is about 4mm to wheel locked, this shouldn't be so bad, especially with two discs now halting the bike.

I'll post some pics once it's all done.

cheers,
Carl
BB1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia Mille front brake hose fits like a glove!

However, if you don't fancy a dual hose set up you can also use the bridging hose from a Ducati 749 or 999 that goes over the mudguard, linking the calipers.

Test ride tomorrow (fingers crossed)

Carl
BB1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, In typical Bimota syle, just to be bloody different (read awkward) the front discs are countersunk to suit the Paoli forks.

So, if you use a cagiva/Ducati front disc, you'll have to countersink the disk for the wheel bolts to fit.
However, it's not all that easy because the angle of the countersink isn't the same as the angle on a standard drill bit (thanks Bimota!)

I drilled them out with an 18mm drill and then used a router to profile them followed by a bit of finishing with a Dremmel.

The Aprilia Mille front hoses worked a treat but the 749/999 hoses would give a slightly better finish. If anly thing the mille hoses are 5 cm too long.

But the discs are on and the conversion is complete.

After bleeding, you need to adjust the pison ajustment screw so that it is slightly further in before you start to pull the lever to compensate for the extra 4 pistons.

On first trial the brakes are FAB!!! and sooooo much more progressive than they were before (maybe I haven't got all of the air out of them! Smile )

Very much worth doing for about £114 all in.

Cheers,
Carl
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was everything else? All good I hope...
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think Aprilia RS125 disks are the same size as well. And a source for the caliper might be a Monster or a Guzzi Breva (single disks, and from memory on the left).

Got a spare Mille brake hose in the garage.

All the best

Keith
BB1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin disc update

WOW! now thats breaking. One finger is more than enough! Oh yes!

C
Anders

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hesitated to go down the route of twin disks. My solution is (after years of trying out different setups) one ISR 6-pot calliper and 320mm Brembo cast iron disk (off a 748SPS or similar) and EBC HH pads. With a matching radial pump (up till now I have been using a 16x18 Brembo, but plan a switch to an adjustable ISR) the brakes are quite good, but of course not as good as a twin disk setup. On the positive side, however, I have saved approx 2.5kg of unsprung mass compared to the twin-disk setup (in addition to the reduction from my magnesium wheel).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: