Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Tyre Choice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiBag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Tyre Choice Reply with quote

OK,
This one will probably open up a can of worms.
Just wondering what peoples tyre choices / preferences are?
My SB6 presently has mis matched tyres on it at the moments, so I am looking to chainge them.
Im thinking of slipping on a pair of scrubbed Metzler Racetec.
Opinions please.

Thanks Si...
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set correctly they tip in quick so having a pointed profile may be too much for most riders. I prefer a rounded Michelin, I use the road option every time instead of race. They warm up quicker, hold heat longer , last twice as much, feel twice as stable and work in the wet. No brainer. High level race spec rubber is a con unless you are racing when they only last a day...
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that choice, put some Michelin Power sports on the DB4, as opposed to Pirelli corse on the Db2. like the profile, like the lead in, and confidence inspiring and feedback lots better. Means I get best use out of all conditions, and given Britains weather you need that even on a supposedly dry warm day you easily get caught out,

Did a back to back with Vort on the 2 No. DB4's playing swapsy (we limit it to just bikes though) he had Pirelli Corse on his DB4 as opposed to Michelin Power, and now he is changing his tyres to Michelins
SiBag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back.
I'll have to change my plans then.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Worries Si, Michelin Power sports are around the 180 a pair but dual compound Power Pure sports are 234 a pair. I have the cheaper on the DB4 and they feel really good for turn in, warm up quickly etc. And being in the "wondrous wet North" ,, ruddy wet and hailstorms again today, you'll want to be using your bike whenever you can, and being a Bimota there will be times when its broke, and thus when fixed you will want to go out on it. I had Christmas day on the DB2 as it was above 5 degrees and dry, your pure race compound won't warm up on a day like that for sure. All down to when you think you may have time and whether the weather suits, a rare conicidence in my case Laughing
CBar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires are such a personal thing. For what it's worth, I'm a Bridgestone fan. I convinced myself to go with Dunlop Q2's this time around. I like the way the Q2's wear on the street. I did a 700 mile weekend on the SB6 and the tires did not square of at all, unlike my old Bridgestones. I was very happy until I did a track day on them. Maybe I was just used to the Bridgestones and I also set the bike up around them, but the bike just didn't feel right to me with the Dunlops. I will be switching back to Bridgestones.
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Dunlop either, Mainly due to the pointy profile and instability for me at high speeds. Funny thing, years ago I had to commute Between Exmouth and Plymouth every day onmy Blade. Its about a 140 mile round trip out onto the moor. Got sick of paying for race rubber so stuck a pair of Macaddam tourers on! They lasted forever, felt more stable then ever and worked amazing in the wet. The dont exist anymore mores the pity! Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do many miles at all the last time I rode any distance was to a frech trackday. I've had the same tyres on the bike for a couple of seasons (BT014's) so as I'm going to change the front I'll do the back too.
I'll use some scrubbed supercorsa's. The won't last as long of course but I figure they cost me £80 + 40 fitting and that should last me the season
madplankton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've tried Dunlop Sportsmarts on quite a few of my bikes now and they've worked brilliantly on all of them. I've trackdayed them and they keep up easily with the middle of the fast group on slicks!! They work well at 170+ on the mountain Shocked and are actually quite superb in the wet...

Up til then I always went for the bridgestones but the new dunlops have got that something extra...

They seem to last well also..

Never tried 'em on an pre-2000 bike tho'
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good point. Modern bikes tend to be point and squirt, slam it onto its side and square it of as soon as... great for dunlops and their profile. But the older and more " Italian bike" technique prefers to be on the throttle and round the corner in an arc that prefers the rounded profile. It doesn't confuse the tyre as to what it should be doing, and feels far more stable. As was said, its a matter of taste and feel but I do know that for road riding in nearly all conditions a road tyre is better. The road rubber these days are as good if not still better for most of us on trackdays as well.
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend any tire that has more tread than these three...

Twisted Evil Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Personally, I prefer Pirelli tires, but my wife likes Michelins. We've run just about everything, though...Bridgestone, Dunlop, Shinko, sport tires, sport-touring tires, mixed model tires, mixed brand tires, etc...
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked
akito-man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my sb8r is sitting on a renntec and a racetech, will hafta come off, was thinking of the new avons- though expensive might be what it takes- my peg loves the storms, better than the supercorsas it came on, but the R1 lites up the rear on the ultra storms, good if you like rear wheel spin off an apex! Was gonna choose between dunlop roadsmarts / metzeler interacts and the new avon supersports! Decissions decissions! Its a grunty twin with light wheels so a good bit of thinking is needed here, with the added bonus of a cooler clime and the occasional very light shower;), up here in bonny scotland!
CBar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Pomps. I had Dunlops on a 2007 CBR1000RR or maybe it's a Fireblade over there. The bike came to me with Dunlops already on it and I liked the way they performed...on that particular bike.

I failed to mention that I was using Bridgestone BT016's. They performed well for me at a fast-medium pace, as long as the pavement temperatures weren't too hot. They are not the best tire choice for the track.

While I commented on my opinion of Dunlop's performance/feel on the track, this is even more important to me when I am on the street. If something happens in a turn on the track, you can stand the bike up and run-off into the grass. On the roads where I live, the run-off is usually in a ditch, fence, tree or rocky hillside.
CBar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmo_Demon wrote:
Personally, I prefer Pirelli tires, but my wife likes Michelins. We've run just about everything, though...Bridgestone, Dunlop, Shinko, sport tires, sport-touring tires, mixed model tires, mixed brand tires, etc...

I ran Pirelli's and Bridgestone's on my old Aprilia Mille. Both worked well for me on that bike. My choice usually came down to which one was on sale when I needed tires.

All (or most) of the tire manufacturers make great tires, but they are certainly not all the same!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: