Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DUCATI 900SS 1991 Restoration.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank.61 wrote:
Hey 2Bims,

How do you "remove" the anodized layer?
I have some anodized parts I want to work on and then have them anodized again.

Frank

Hi Frank...I;'ve removed the anodising myself before with small mini dremel grinding wheels/abrasives with emery cloth etc...takes the passivated andising off but only when I then am going to polish them back up again and not reanodise...Can be done and the best place if you want them reanodising is to find such a place and see if they will provide a service to first reverse the exisiting anodising chemically/electrically.....cant be done any other way its resistant to most things
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi 2bims, will still keep some ducs, especially 998s and 999r, have always admired bimotas since i was a nipper, but generally always out of my price range, but they are good value today and as you say ducs seem to hold their value better, but would rather have the superior quality of the bimota. I find it amazing how many bikers have never heard of bimota, which suits me, keeps the prices down Very Happy daresay if bimota gain racing sucess again the fickle market will all want one, grab them while you can.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not a bad take on Philosophy of Bimotas...defo agree that the detail, and finish and design is superior...but then with them being hand made to limited numbers with often double the market price when new of their competitors they should be.....as you say though...still not common place in the market....many bikers that only reminisce of days gone by not knowing they are still around...definitely undervalued and if they enter WSB again then who knows....As for myselfr I went from Ducati to Bimota, and away from some others also...mainly coz I was smitten...but also they were generally bought as good value compared to some "so called" ltd edition Ducs.....Me garage is full though so no more looking...well no more buying but keep looking.....Only really when you take them apart and rebuild them do you see the level of detail built into them...parts used and made that no one else bothers to do with mainstream bikes...and they are always unique and stand aside from others...but them I am biased...
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

you can remove anodising using a caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) solution such as oven cleaner. It involves immersing the component for about 60 sec. in the cleaner and then flushing it off. It may take a few goes and remember that caustic soda eats aluminium, so don't leave it in there! (use rubber gloves or you're skin will go as well!).

I once bought a pair of Bimota footpegs and a gear lever tastefully anodised in purple and removed the anodising this way. The components won't be as well protected against the elements after it's off though.

Cheers, MikeJ
bimotanige

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mike -another thing Ive learnt from the forum members Smile
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that one Mike...seems plenty of clips on You tube of ways and products to remove Anodising...caustic soda Sink unblocker in hot water...Mr Muscle drain unblocker...and ways to polish on here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6RuUTo_fQs
philfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could always re-anodise it for protection, this lot do kits
http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that eventful fatefull day finally arrived...a dry sunny afternoon and some free time...so it was time for the rebuilt Pup to come out of the Dining Room into the fresh air for the first time in 2 years.....fresh fuel added....fuel pump and low fuel sender connected...battery at full charge....choke on....ignition on and wait for ticking of fuel pump...and sight of fuel juice coming down the Y shaped connecter to the carbs....check for any leaks before pressing the hopeful go go button....check for Oil leaks after having topped up gearbox to right level.......Fireman in standby...insurance cover checked....tentative first prod of the starter buttin...blow me...Guess what???##%%%%...scaring the living daylights out of me by firing on the first prod and running....soleful tune from the open Race Termi titanium end cans...sucking of K&N open air box filter...Jeeso.....only a slight leak from front header pipe needed pinching up on the clamp bolts....Adjusted choke down after a minute or so....adjusted idle down after a few minutes and she runs...ticking over all by herself...most astonished...not even a blown fuse or mis-wired electrical connector...........Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of "running clips for you guys...(Just click on each picture and be patient and wait for Photobuket to open and self start running) and then a close of some outdoor photos..........Now what??? Well I've got a gaping large hole called a dining room that looks big enough for a Grand Ball....or perhaps pull something else with 2 wheels into it and start again..........Hhmmm...

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And heres the closing piccies.....so just left to running it down to the MOT man (well after I fill up the brake and clutch hydraulic pots that is.....)

Only items left really are the replacement polished footpegs and hangers which are due back next week.....

Last edited by 2bims on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful beautiful piece of work!
1965 Triumph T100SC
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job matey - it looks fab!
will listen to the crescendo on my home pc tomorrow.
you should be proud of your work.
philfingers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice, I think you made the same mistake as me tho and didn't cut the chain down 2 links
Laughing
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely, very smart
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Spike, and others.....It has been a bit of a hard slog...uphill most of the way...and a foolish folly that I expected before I began as over 5K GBP has been "sunk" into the "rescue" and that excludes buying the bike in the first place...for memory...heres a few "before" pictures...

One grotty starter motor...

And after stripping, priming and enamel spray painting

Before and after intake tubes

Existing and new exhaust collat halves....originals rotten to pieces...

Grotty grimey rear shock before stripping, polishing, powder coating, and re-valving

Flakey corroded, pitted and leaking front forks which were ditched for NOS Showas...

Old fuel filler cap before stripping, painting and polishing

And after

Same again with Regulator rectifier and backing plate

Old lump of a motor before stripping, crankcase halves soda blasted, 2 pack paint and 2 coats lacquer, crankcase covers bead blasted and powder coated, cylinder heads bead blasted and ceramic coated

And some general cruddy grotty shots of what I took on board...

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb375/stehard/pupagain001_zpsffd3d1e8.jpg[/img][/URL]

Basically every singel Nut and Bolt has been replaced....every seal and bearing and shim in the engine...over 30 of them...including the oil and timing sight windows renewed....everything else has either been stripped and repainted, or polished, or powder coated or ceramic coated or renewed....Only the tank is original bodywork, all other bodywork is new, forks new, wheels exisiting, as is swingarm, but both stripped, wheels powder coated, new valves, tyres, bearings, cush drive and C&S...New Carbon fibre instrument surround and 2 small ones either side for fuse box, carbon fibre front and rear guards and cam covers, billet black anodised vented front sprocket cover, and same for the clutch with billet anodised clutch pressure plate, billet corse clutch basket, new clutch pack and clutch centre hub, and new washers, springs and bolts....Parts from Kamna.de in Germany...New Gold series Brembo clutch and brake masters...new braided SS hoses all round, new plastic reservoir pots, new high level Oil rad...new slim line rear light...new indicators front and rear....New high level Titanium oval, high level "race use only" Termies....that come with cut down Performance air filter, new carbs, new fuel lines, new fuel filter (a swine...its fitted inside the tank) , New gear lever and brake lever rubbers, new footpeg rubbers, new grips, Full Probolt fairing polished SS bolt set.....endless new electrical connections, shrink wrap and casings, Motobatt, sealed AGM battery, belts, filter, spark plugs, new Engine gauze filet, new sump plug.....the list goes on and on..........

Lastly a big thanks to all on the BIMOTA Forum...for assistance in parts, ideas...pictures where I'd forgotten to take pictures...etc etc...you all know who you are...maybe a Bimota Forum, but all willing to help as long as its bike related...cheers....Do seem to have a large "gaping" hole in what was once my Dining Room...and seem to be rattling around the house with all this extra space....hhmmm.... Wink Wink

And finally how she first came home back in February 2012....Well after its first wash I gave it of course....
So BEFORE...........

And...AFTER...........

Last edited by 2bims on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
waggy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop dead gorgeous, well done 2bims.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: