Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Member KB3/SB4 Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallaman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: New Member KB3/SB4 Questions Reply with quote

New member here from over the pond in the USA. You may have seen the KB3 that was advertised on eBay about a month ago. Well, I brought it home last week and am trying to figure out just what I bought. The bike was purchased by a well known author/racer here in the States in the early 90’s after having been crashed at some point. He along with a group of pretty well known folks on our west coast rebuilt it to its current "glory". It’s had quite a few modes done to it, everything from wheels to brakes, rear shock, built Kawasaki engine, etc., but the one thing I am trying to figure out is just what it is.

The VIN plate is mounted just below the front of the gas tank on one of the frame rails and lists the “Type” as an SB4. The frame number on both the VIN plate and stamped into the steering head also starts with “SB4” so I presume the “original” configuration was with (or for) a Suzuki engine. According to the guy I bought it from, the Kawasaki engine was in it when he bought it. So, was it common (or if not common, did it happen) that a chassis shipped to the states without an engine might have been switched at birth from a Suzuki to Kawasaki engine (or vice versa)? From what I can tell, the chassis for the SB4 and The KB3 were virtually identical except for the lower frame cradle and some engine mount mods (is this true?). Any help, thoughts appreciated.

Chuck S.

[/url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&item=180853718697&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT[url]
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome to the site Chuck. I am sure the answer is somewhere among us. That bike looked great and throws up a very interesting question. Most of us who love Bimota's are more the happy to accept changes from the original factory item due to the very nature of Bimota's long history if selling frame kits only and allowing the customer to complete. I wish they still did it. I throw the link open to more learned men then I on this matter, but, dont be discouraged either way, its something very special to have in the garage Wink
wallaman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the welcome and reply and not discouraged at all. I have been looking for an early Bim for a while now and wanted one that wasn't pristine stock so I wouldn't feel bad making some mods. The workmanship on the bike is outstanding, and it is obvious the folks that (re)built it knew what they were doing. My question is really more one of trying to understand how I got what I got and not one of being concerned about what I got. I haven't been able to find much history on how the early bikes came to the US other than I was told many came here without engines (which were installed here? - by new owner or dealer?). Anyone out there that can fill in details, please chime in.

The bike hasn't been started in nearly 10 years, so it may take a bit for me to go through it and figure out what needs to be done to get it road worthy again, but not something I'm unfamiliar or challenged with. Guess time will tell.

Thanks.

Chuck S.
djt77

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

Congratulations on your purchase, have you tried getting in touch with Bob at Bimota Spirit, he might know some info.

Be sure to post up some pictures, the older Bimota really are works art.
Les Caddaye

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day there Chuck,
Welcome from my side of the world. Lovely looking bike as I was following on ebay, just sorry Oz is so far away, my loss, maybe your gain. I have no idea if this helps at all but I do own an SB4 and my vin plate is on the lower frame. I have a friend with an SB3 and his plate is up near the steering head on the frame, though the SB3 frame is entirely different to the SB4!!! I see where your coming from, it would be fantastic to know all the history of the bike and I agree that kwaka engine, suzuki, honda, who cares, its a Bimota.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wallaman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, where specifically is your VIN plate? Can anyone confirm If the KB3 frame is basically the same as the SB4 frame except for the engine mounting?

Also, djt77, do you have contact info for Bob at Bimota Spirit. I tried googling and got about a million hits but nothing that looked like him.

Thanks.
Chuck S.
Les Caddaye

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
See attached photo, bottom frame tube about midway RHS below clutch cover.

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=910791X549

Hope image helps, also hope image worked.

Cheers[/img][/quote]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wallaman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
The pic is a big help. I'm guessing my VIN tag may have been relocated when the engine cradle tubes were replaced (?) to accomodate the Kawasaki engine. I've been trying to track down the guys who actually did most of the work when it was rebuilt, but no success on that one yet.

Again, can anyone tell me the actual differences, if any, between the SB4 frame (and sub frame/motor cradle assembly) and the one on a KB3?

Thanks.
Chuck S.
Les Caddaye

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
According to a book I have on Bimotas by Brookland books, the SB4, KB3, Hb2 and HB3 all have identical chassis. You could try contacting people off the Switzerland Bimota register, I've found some of them very helpful.
http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_db_en.html

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: