Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Tesi 1Dsr fuel pump problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motokosta

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Tesi 1Dsr fuel pump problem Reply with quote

A friend of mine purchased a Tesi 1Dsr off US ebay. This one

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/super-rare-italian-beauty-1991-bimota-tesi-1d/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RareSportbikesForSale+%28Rare+SportBikes+For+Sale%29

When the bike arrived in Australia we could not get it to run. We could not hear a fuel pump so played with the wiring a bit and the pump seeming came to life but there was still no fuel. Has anyone got any ideas? We are not even sure the plumbing is correct as it seems to us that the pump is connected to the return. Cheers Con
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
best to get over to the Ducati 851 forum: http://www.ducati851and888.com/index.php

loads of chat in the technical about the pumps and fuel delivery.
The original Weber or even Bosch pumps can be tempermental- the 'new' one on my 851 just stopped a little while ago while I was checking the timing.

They cost arround 150 UK pounds which is not too little too, but are available, such as here: http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/44.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=44&show=20&page=2

or here: http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=K%20Series

you might be able to source one closer to home- early BMW K series basically. Or Ducati 851 of course maybe some Guzzis.

you need a 52mm outside diameter to fit in the holder, 3 bar and a 8mm outlet and don't forget fuel resistant piping inside and outside for the in tank fitting. Good to change anyway every few years.

I don't think the sock option to pack out a smaller diameter pump works on Bims because of the puimp holder design if it's anything like my YB4.

The pump fits inside that ali casting with an O ring and collets- very tight fit- don't know why it's a very tight fit- no pressure below, but it is!

If the bike has been sitting a long time- either the pump has dried up and got crusty inside or the fuel pipe has deteriorated and finished the pump off that way.

good luck
Ian
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, if the bikes been sitting a couple of years- don't forget the other stuff that's nice to do before you get too carried away- change the belts etc
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waking up now, it's 1/4 to 3 in the afternoon.

Tesi parts list- right in front of me- open it for the first time ever!

difference to YB4- the supply line from the pump- through the filter is to the ali fitting on the left side of the bike as if you are sitting on it.

The return comes back through
the fitting on the right side of the tank- with the one way valve in it.

The supply pipe goes between the injector bodies first of all- to the pressure regulator.

It looks like the return to the tank comes off the rear most injector- doesn't seem to be a return pipe from the pressure regulator ! !

Which I don't understand, on the Ducati the return comes off the pressure regulator and that keeps 3 bar in the injector supply pipes. If you ask me running a return off the injectors will depressurize the pipes- 3 bar back into the tank- brilliant. Sorry I don't have a shop book for this, only Ducatis.

You can't mess up the pump wiring because they have different sized holes- + feed from the bottom of the tank (another ali fitting). The - from the pump goes to the pump holder casting on the side, which is earthed from the bottom of the pump holder outside. The + and the - go into a block connector.

The fuel sender connector at the rear of the tank is completely separate.

When you ask me, I can scan all 300 pages for you and Geekay as well- but give me some time- I've got other stuff to do until tomorrow and the next day.

Sorry Garry I completely forgot I've got this- I assume you might like a copy?

good luck again
Ian
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian
thanks for the offer, but I got a copy of the parts list with the bike.
I just didn't get the parts...................... Very Happy
crankcase

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff
nice collection Cool
Ian
motokosta

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, You’ve been very helpful. It’s not running yet but we’ve got a new pump and we’re having a plate made to hold it to the tank as this was missing. I’ll let you know how we go. Thanks again.
Cheers
CON
GeorgeV

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Tesi Reply with quote

Dolan's bikes on Ebay always look really used…. shame it didn't work when you received it.
motokosta

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help crankcase. The bike is now running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: