Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

triple clamp removal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: triple clamp removal Reply with quote

Hi and a merry christmas to al

I worked on my SB6r during christmas because I have a seized throttle handle bar that makes adjustment imposible. However the siezure is so badthat the bars caannot be remove from the clamp which makes it necessary to rempve the triple clamp. Now the question which I hope some of you guys can help.

How do I remove the centre mode switch? I believe there is nut below the switch but have no idea how to remove it, specially the polised cap. Is it just to pry it off.This method looks like it can damaged the polished cap.

Please help??? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ponderd over this very same problem a few months ago, the solution is very simple, it is loosley screwed into the top yolke. wearing a pair of rubber gloves helps to give some purchase as you unscrew it Wink
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: triple clamp removal Reply with quote

Hi Oily

Looks like you are the only guys who knows all this things. mine is definitely jammed stuck and does not appear to be screwed in at all.knocking the triple clamp after removing the bolts can loosen it but only up to a point.

Oily ,are you saying that yo just unscrewed the cap and the clamp will come off or is there another bolt fix in the centre as is in other bikes. Only Bimota can complicate matters for the sake ofi t.
oily

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, lets take this one step at a time. the switch is just screwed into the top yolk, it does nothing else. If youve REMOVED the clamp bolts and the switch nut, the top yolk will come off but it is tight Wink
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oily, you wouldn't know who my real dad is would you? I have no clue...
oily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well son....................... I was hanging around with 42 commando and the royal navy for a few years way back in................... Laughing Laughing
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: triple clamp removal Reply with quote

Hey Oily

How do you remove the switch nut. Is it from below the triple clamp shaft just above the wheel? I tried to pry it out from the top but I can't. Looks like it will damaged some cnc machined stuff but I am prepared to machine something new.

As for Pompey please wait the SB6 fairing pictures as I have them in my phone but no bluetooth in my computer and no connectivity wires as well.
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: triple clamp removal Reply with quote

Oily

Looks like I have to ask the shop to help me with the clamps. I will changed the fork oil once I am there. Can you tell me the oil viscosity and quantity ?

Anyway thanks for your pics . My speedo is alive again.
oily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: triple clamp removal Reply with quote

2OR4STROKES wrote:
Hey Oily

How do you remove the switch nut. Is it from below the triple clamp shaft just above the wheel? I tried to pry it out from the top but I can't. Looks like it will damaged some cnc machined stuff but I am prepared to machine something new.

As for Pompey please wait the SB6 fairing pictures as I have them in my phone but no bluetooth in my computer and no connectivity wires as well.

OK, The switch(nut} is screwed into the top of the yolke stem. As you can see, it cannot be screwed in too tight as there is no means of gripping it. Wear rubber gloves to grip it and it will unscrew.
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics... I understand how the owner may believe them to be worth so much but unfortunately they are in very poor condition and I could not justify the expense. many thanks for the effort and thought...
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: triple clamp removal Reply with quote

I have remove the switch but the nut is siezed as usual. Every screwed item is siezed on this bike thanks to the previous owner who left it in the sun and rain. Drove me up the wall. I cannot forced the hexagon nut because it be rounded for sure. Any new ideas oily, before I put it to the torch and flame.

Pompey , you can proposed him a price if you need a spare. The fairing and tail secton honestly look ok to me ,just a new coat of paint and it will look brand new. As for the missing section this an easily be replicated.Anyway it is your call.

Thanks for your help Oily. My speedo is now working as well thanks to the lost bolts.

Last edited by 2OR4STROKES on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
oily

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've got me confused, there is no hexagon nut. According to the parts book and my bike it is a round, screwed in piece of alloy that is there only to hold the switch. Have you got a picture?
2OR4STROKES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: triple clamp removal Reply with quote

Oily

Yes the aluminium cover is also a hexagon nut, I know because i just removed it today. The procedure is as such:

1. remove the switch(correct as you said, just turn it because it is threaded in lightly.
2. Insert a hexagon key into the aluminium cap which is also a hexagon nut and turn anti clockwise. (mine is seized so I have to knock it with a chisel and later machined a new one)
3. Thereafter the two fork clamp bolts on the left and right and the clamp can be lifted out.

Thanks for the help Oily and please do not get confused because you till now is my best hope.

cheers Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey dokey, well done on that, can't beat chisels and big hammers Laughing
Now for lesson two:
Bimota don't give fork oil weight or volume in their manual, I suppose because they don't make the forks so we have to look in the PAIOLI manual which states the oil is sae 10 and the volume is 485cc per leg.
Hope that helps Wink
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you well over 100 years old oily? Here's one... at a battle range of 300 meters, the parabolic curve of the 5.56 high velocity round reaches it peak at 200m achieving a maximum height of how much before dropping down to point of aim/ point of strike at 300? hmmmm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: